I wish Marshall would make....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    edited October 2013
    An amp with two channels, channel one is an exact JMP 1987/1959 circuit, channel two is an exact JMP 2203/4 circuit - it could have a few options like "channel link" for the first channel, and gain boost (moderate) or mid-shift (to give a more 'modern' sound) for the second channel. Selectable solid-state or valve rectifier. Decent valve-driven reverb, flexible FX loop, and tremolo - all footswitchable or channel-assignable. Overall master volume. Built-in 'Variac' switch. Choice of EL34 or KT66 power valves. Excellent build quality - it can be PCB but it must have decent quality pots and jacks, and preferably chassis-mounted power and rectifier valve sockets. Available as a head or a combo.

Moon on a stick? No... because this amp exists - OK, it doesn't sound *exactly* like those classic Marshalls, but if you set it up right it's surprisingly close to it, closer than you would believe if you've never heard one A/B'd with the actual Marshalls through the same speakers.

The only problem is that Marshall didn't make it.

Mesa did.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;48016" said:
    An amp with two channels, channel one is an exact JMP 1987/1959 circuit, channel two is an exact JMP 2203/4 circuit - it could have a few options like "channel link" for the first channel, and gain boost (moderate) or mid-shift (to give a more 'modern' sound) for the second channel. Selectable solid-state or valve rectifier. Decent valve-driven reverb, flexible FX loop, and tremolo - all footswitchable or channel-assignable. Overall master volume. Built-in 'Variac' switch. Choice of EL34 or KT66 power valves. Excellent build quality - it can be PCB but it must have decent quality pots and jacks, and preferably chassis-mounted power and rectifier valve sockets. Available as a head or a combo.

Moon on a stick? No... because this amp exists - OK, it doesn't sound *exactly* like those classic Marshalls, but if you set it up right it's surprisingly close to it, closer than you would believe if you've never heard one A/B'd with the actual Marshalls through the same speakers.

Mesa did.
    Might this be your favourite amp of all time?

If so, I have seen them sell before for less than a grand. Significantly less, in fact. So much so, I reckon if I can't find a suitable solid state head, I'll get one in the next year or two...
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 366
    ICBM said:

Mesa did.
    and which Mesa would that be if you don't mind my ignorance? I d be very interested in it if what you say is true. Let me know so I can look it up brgrds,

Might this be your favourite amp of all time?

If so, I have seen them sell before for less than a grand. Significantly less, in fact. So much so, I reckon if I can't find a suitable solid state head, I'll get one in the next year or two...
    Of course! :) But if Marshall had made it, I'd have been equally happy. I was always a Marshall player originally, and although I did get a bit diverted by Fender and then Mesa/Boogie in the 90s, the 'sound in my head' has really always been an old-school Marshall of some sort. The Trem-o-verb is actually *very* Marshally, more so than the straight Dual Rectifier.

I've seen them sell for as little as £600, for the combo version. The offputting weight is the reason, especially if the seller is in the back of beyond and/or won't ship it. The head version is always far more expensive, even though it comes without two free V30s...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM I thought you meant the stiletto as iirc it's supposed to be inspired by Marshalls.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    A £100 amp that 100% nails the Plexi, JCM800 and Bogner Uberschall tones, weighs under 3kg and gives me a blowjob after making me a sandwich.

No, wait, before making me a sandwich.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

OK, it doesn't sound *exactly* like those classic Marshalls,
    But isn't that a compromise? there are a lot of pedals and amps that claim to 'sound like' and some so close that a lot of people can't tell but I'd rather have one classic marshall sound than two or three close but no cigar tones, although great the mesa is
    :)

To me the secret with the classic marshall sound is mainly in the power section, although I think the 2204 and 2203 were marshall's finest all rounder, the old superleads were a tone monster but are unforgiving to the slightest player mistakes unlike a lot of the latter high gain amps that followed.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    octatonic said:
    A £100 amp that 100% nails the Plexi, JCM800 and Bogner Uberschall tones, weighs under 3kg and gives me a blowjob after making me a sandwich.

No, wait, before making me a sandwich.
    I'd have gone "during"
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31696
    I wish Marshall would make...
    ...the JTM45 Reissue cheaper. It already does everything I need,the last thing I want is all that outboard stuff built into the amp so I can't change it around.

If you want a high gain valve preamp, plug one in. If you want FX, plug it in, if you want an attenuator, plug one in.

I never heard a modded 4-hole Marshall that sounded better than a stock 4-hole Marshall. :)
    edited October 2013
    Catthan said:
    @ICBM I thought you meant the stiletto as iirc it's supposed to be inspired by Marshalls.
    Possibly, but so is Rhythm 2 on the Mark series and the 'Brit' mode on the Road King... :))

I tried one once - I though it sounded brash and a bit thin, didn't like it at all really.

p90fool said:
    ...the JTM45 Reissue cheaper. It already does everything I need,the last thing I want is all that outboard stuff built into the amp so I can't change it around.

They couldn't without reducing the quality. It's one of the best-made amps they do, don't spoil it! It's already cheaper than the boutique 'clones'.
    p90fool said:

If you want a high gain valve preamp, plug one in. If you want FX, plug it in, if you want an attenuator, plug one in.

I never heard a modded 4-hole Marshall that sounded better than a stock 4-hole Marshall. :)
    Agreed. I said that in the 'modded Marshall' thread too :).

edited October 2013
    As I said I'd be really interested to try a Mesa sometime and if it somehow approximated a Marshal it'd be even cooler.
    I checked some demos  of the tremoverb last night but it seems that people associate Mesas with super gain metal sounds -which I don't really like- and that's what they go for in the demos I watched. 
    Might need to dig a bit more to find a demo about the options and features that @ICBM described.

re Marshalls and power scaling, if it's implemented like on the Suhr Badger, I wouldn't say it would make a loud Marshall playable/ enjoyable at low volumes. I'm not sure how PS is marketed, but I'm realizing it is smth that helps maintain the amp's feel at smaller/ different venues.. Not at home. 
    afaik and understand from my badgrer 30, it's more of a feel thing- adding power stage compression- But the more you scale down, the more prone to clipping the power stage becomes. So if you dime the pre-gain and eq you're essentially sending a strong signal in a power stage which doesn't like it. So, either scale down just a bit and let it breath (>> bedroom vols), or compensate by lowering the eq. 
    If a single channel Mashall was fitted with PS like that, I'd expect it to be more of a venue adjustment thing so expecting to crank a SL 1959 while the baby sleeps could be utopic.. 
    I'm curious though about how soultone did it in their jtm45 klone-version.
    I know the AFD and YJM have some sort of power modulation but not sure how they achieve it. It's supposed to be pretty good too..

Brgrds,

• Catthan said:
    As I said I'd be really interested to try a Mesa sometime and if it somehow approximated a Marshal it'd be even cooler.
    I checked some demos  of the tremoverb last night but it seems that people associate Mesas with super gain metal sounds -which I don't really like- and that's what they go for in the demos I watched. 
    Might need to dig a bit more to find a demo about the options and features that @ICBM described.

I've not found a Tremoverb to try but I own a Roadster, which is also a variation of Dual Rec.  It is capable of a huge range of sounds but again you'll struggle to find anything other than high gain rock/metal online.

This guy has some nice clips of his strat and DR Roadster playing classic rock stuff.

ICBM said:
    Catthan said:
    Possibly, but so is Rhythm 2 on the Mark series and the 'Brit' mode on the Road King... :))

I tried one once - I though it sounded brash and a bit thin, didn't like it at all really.

p90fool said:

They couldn't without reducing the quality. It's one of the best-made amps they do, don't spoil it! It's already cheaper than the boutique 'clones'.
    I know, I'm just being greedy :) My latest one was £300 second hand, totally unmolested and barely used.
    edited October 2013
  • FezFez Frets: 536
    What I would like Marshall to make is a head version of the DSL401 but with a serial FX loop, digital reverb if any.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I wish they would reissue the lead bass 50w 2x12 combo. Best Marshall ever !