Best 30 ish watt 1x12 combo ??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I reckon 30 watts is the sweet spot , and I'm thinking of downsizing . What's a good 1x12 valve combo for rock / punk ?! I only need one channel .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What's your price point? There are loads of decent combos around that price point from mass-produced to boutique.
  • If you're looking for wallet friendly, a Laney LC30 or VC30 might be worth a shout.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    If you are looking used as well as new you could do worse than a Cornford Roadhouse 30. It is a big beast but it definitely rocks.
  • +1 for the cornford roadhouse 30
  • Budda SuperDrive 18, maybe?
  • Orange TH30, Buggered if you want built in reverb though, but you get 2 channels.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Orange Rocker 30

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Artisan A30 and blank off one speaker!

Heh!

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ecc83 said:

Artisan A30 and blank off one speakeyr!Heh!
    Product suggestion: make an A30 1x12" with a Celestion Gold. Or possibly a G12H-75 Creamback if the Gold is cost-prohibitive.

There hasn't been an AC30-type 1x12" since Vox dropped the short-lived AC30CC1, which was quite a nice amp.

The 15-watters don't have the sound, and the 2x12" is too heavy for most people.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NerineNerine Frets: 2197
    Dr Z Maz 38
    Suhr Badger 35
    Marshall 1962x
    Soldano 44
    Bogner Duende 12/24
    Friedman Dirty Shirley

I mean, there are dozens and dozen of them that could fit the bill.

A good position to be in! :)
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys . As for budget , as long ad it's good quality and not silly money that'll be fine . I had previously wondered about the artisan 30 or rocker 30 but I've tried neither .
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    I had an Orange Rocker 30 and for Rock /Punk it'd be great. The clean channel wasn't much to write home about and you really need a line driver to sparkle it up a bit but the OD channel is great. Got rid of mine for a Mesa Boogie F-30 which is a much better all round amp but for what you play the Rocker would be a good fit. Plus you can pick them up used for £350 which is a bit of a steal for the quality
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 616
    I'd echo the Rocker 30 recommendation. I've just picked up the head version and it's very well suited to the rock/ punk thing. There are a couple of combos on Ebay and Gumtree at the moment and I'm sure one of them is only about £350....
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3999
    +1 for the Rocker 30.  I sold mine after several years of gigging and it was great. I'm just not doing much at the moment or I would have kept it.
  • Sounds good, at present I am playing a tiny terror hardwired which is a bit underpowered for some things and a marshall jmp 2104 2x12 combo, which is a bit overpowered and heavy to lug about., 
    I think the Rocker 30 is heading rapidly for the list of great products which were inexplicably discontinued and are set to become future classics. I think it's the best modern amp Orange have made, and could well go up in value.

There again I think the Trem-o-verb is the best modern amp Mesa have made, and those haven't exactly shot up in value despite several celebrity users.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    +2 Cornford Roadhouse...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ICBM said:
    There hasn't been an AC30-type 1x12" since Vox dropped the short-lived AC30CC1, which was quite a nice amp.
    I've got one of these available for trade in the Classifieds section if you're interested:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/32048/ft-vox-ac30-cc1-custom-classic-1-x-12-why#latest
    We are all Chameleons...
    edited January 2015
    TonyR said:
    ICBM said:
    There hasn't been an AC30-type 1x12" since Vox dropped the short-lived AC30CC1, which was a very nice amp.
    I've got one if these available for trade in the Classifieds section if you're interested
    Edited for accuracy :).

A friend of mine briefly had one. Actually I did like it, I just wasn't convinced by the stock Neodog speaker, and the Celestion Gold was either not available at that point or prohibitively expensive for him, I can't remember which.

The Neo (along with the smaller cabinet) does at least make it not that heavy for an AC30 though, and it doesn't sound at all bad, I think I'm just biased because I know what one with Blues sounds like.

It puzzles me slightly that they haven't continued with the concept since there are now quite a few good-sounding speakers in the power range that will handle an AC30 easily. I think it would be a great amp - and even a Gold is cheaper than two Blues, so it wouldn't be any more expensive than a 2x12" AC30.