Best 30 ish watt 1x12 combo ??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

Artisan A30 and blank off one speakeyr!Heh!
    Product suggestion: make an A30 1x12" with a Celestion Gold. Or possibly a G12H-75 Creamback if the Gold is cost-prohibitive.

There hasn't been an AC30-type 1x12" since Vox dropped the short-lived AC30CC1, which was quite a nice amp.

The 15-watters don't have the sound, and the 2x12" is too heavy for most people.

I wonder why the A15 "doesn't have the sound"? Practically the same circuit with two fewer '84s!

Take the idea tho! I have long thought they should make a more cost effective 15 and 30 watter. Same amp but solid state rect and a (good quality FR4?) PCB construction.

FX loop?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    edited January 2015
    ecc83 said:

I wonder why the A15 "doesn't have the sound"? Practically the same circuit with two fewer '84s!

Smaller transformers and only two valves!

:)

To be fair I was talking about the Vox AC15, which is a different circuit. I haven't played an A15. But no 15W version of an AC30-type amp I've ever played has 'the sound', so I would be surprised if it's much different.

ecc83 said:

Take the idea tho! I have long thought they should make a more cost effective 15 and 30 watter. Same amp but solid state rect and a (good quality FR4?) PCB construction.

I'd prefer to keep the valve rectifier - or if not, some sort of resistor-based substitute rather than straight diodes - but as you know I have no hang-ups about a good PCB at all. This may be the opposite of current marketing demand though.

ecc83 said:

FX loop?

What's the MV - a post-PI one? (Like Matchless.) If so then there's no point in a loop. I think a lot of people who are interested in more vintage-style guitar sounds are beginning to move away from loops anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    Peavey Classic 30 - very loud, good tone, good build & reliability, compact footprint, 1x12, 2-channel, very nice gain channel, good clean, decent speaker, good extn cab out connectivity, FX loop, reverb (older ones were spring - new ones might be digital reverb).  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    ^^ +1

I've got a JD30T, basically the same but slightly revoiced and JD branded. Bloody love it.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• http://www.rdamplification.co.uk/

Check out Rob ^^ he built my amp which is 30 watts running a pair of kt66s cathode bias. It's by far the most versatile amp I've found/played. His range is the dualist but he does do custom commissions. Two rock/Fuchs quality for off the shelf Marshall money. Can't recommend him enough
  • ICBM (and anyone else really !) what kind of build quality and reliability are the rocker 30's ??
    ICBM (and anyone else really !) what kind of build quality and reliability are the rocker 30's ??
    Excellent.

I've never seen or even heard of a dead one other than for valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    Build quality is superb. Orange amps in general have the rep for being very robust and they are self biasing so less hassle when changing out tubes
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Who'd have thought that I'd echo the Badger 30 or 35?!! Excellent amps with amazing power scaling
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    ecc83 said:

FX loop?

What's the MV - a post-PI one? (Like Matchless.) If so then there's no point in a loop. I think a lot of people who are interested in more vintage-style guitar sounds are beginning to move away from loops anyway. @icbm Can you explain this in a bit more detail please? I know nothing about fx loops but am thinking of using mine in my Badcat so more info would be appreciated.
    Really you want an FX loop to come after the amp's distortion, for delay and modulation effects which work best there. The problem with an amp with a post-phase-inverter MV like a Matchless or Bad Cat is that the loop cannot be after all the distortion, which mostly comes from the PI, because at that point the signal is split into two opposite halves and at a very high signal level.

The only real use for a pre-distortion loop is to operate at a higher signal level than pedals, more suitable for rack units. If you want to try the loop with pedals it won't do any harm, but it might not sound any better than putting the pedals in front of the amp, and possibly worse.

A lot of players are returning to putting the FX in front of lower-gain amp distortion anyway, it gives a more "organic" (stupid word but works!) sound than the more "processed" sound of higher gain distortion before delays and modulation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah. I run all pedals before input into the amp but was thinking of running my delays in the fx loop to make then clearer. I don't want to rip my board up to try this at a band practice tho hence the query.
    Thanks for the advice @icbm good to see patient, friendly and helpful posts on a forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • echo the Badger
    Good band name, that :)

On topic, I couldn't be happier with my Rocker 30, and at the price they sell for at the moment I reckon they're a bargain - can't see myself losing anything on it if I ever decided to sell it (although I can't see that happening!).  Mine's a head that I use with an open-back 2x12, but I'm sure the combo sounds equally good.
  • Another vote for Rocker 30. I had a combo but for what you need it'd be difficult to find better amp. Regardless the price.
  • FaffFaff Frets: 29

I add +1 to the many people who have +1 the Cornford Roadhouse RH30
    Just because I'm selling doesn't mean I don't love it.

Guitarist for...  HEY PIXIES - The UK's most gigantic PIXIES tribute band
    http://www.facebook.com/heypixies
    "We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."