Can anyone recommend a non tubescreamer like od?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JadedJaded Frets: 127
    The double muff can be awesome, just don't power it with the full voltage. All sorts of saggy 60's fuzz tones available there. 

I'd suggest looking at the new EHX Hot Tubes Nano. I got one the other week and it's as TS as a potato. The only thing it reminds me of is a Distortion+ but with more "girth" and maybe a little fuzzier. Plus it's pretty cheap. Other than that I'd say find a Boss OD-2, mode 1 is TS-ish but without the honky mids and mode 2 sounds far more ragged and "amp like" I guess. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    edited October 2013
    swlabr said:
    Interesting read here
    While I would be the first to say that there are a lot of very over-hyped overdrives that are only tweaked Tube Screamers, there are a lot on that list that are significantly different even if they're essentially the same circuit, so don't necessarily lump them all in together.

eg -

Boss OD-1 - unfair to call it a TS-like anyway as it came *first*, but it doesn't have a tone stage. This is quite a big difference and not just the same as putting the tone control halfway.

Bad Monkey - the separate bass and treble controls make it a lot more flexible.

Sparkle Drive - the clean blend can make it sound completely different. (I hate it personally, but I know some people love it.)

Many of the boutique ones miss out the TS buffers too, although some include them even if they're true bypass. This changes the tone quite a lot and makes it more sensitive to the other parts of the chain.

Jaded said:
    The double muff can be awesome, just don't power it with the full voltage. All sorts of saggy 60's fuzz tones available there.
    It's also extremely sensitive to impedances, both on the input and output. It's an extremely crude and poorly-designed pedal really, although with the right combination of guitar and amp (but no other pedals, that I found anyway) it does sound great... I just couldn't deal with anything that fussy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    edited October 2013
    ^ regardless of their circuit similarities, I've had, or tried, a fair few of those pedals and they all have had their own tone signature, to the point where some of them I've loved, and some I've hated, whilst all still sounding rougly like a Tube Screamer. Maybe I'm just a cork sniffer after all!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    edited October 2013

the Digital 6-knob Joyos I tried sounded a bit ropey (the modelling ones like the AC Tone) - if run one into a nice amp, it loses the amp's tone

BUT the analogue smaller Joyo pedals I tried and kept were excellent, For your purpose, the best for me were:
    Sweet baby (honeydrive clone)

deluxe crunch (nice marshally tone)

US Dream (Suhr Riot)

Guide at: http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=16105

they have other clones. The compressor is very good too.

these sound just as good as my boutique pedals, but probably not as cool to display on your pedalboard, unless a budget vibe is intended

------

edited to be accurate after fellow citizens pointed out my faulty recollection 

• ToneControl;54997" said:
    the Digital Joyos I tried sounded a bit ropey (the modelling ones like the AC Tone) - if run one into a nice amp, it loses the amp's toneBUT the analogue Joyo pedals I tried and kept were excellent, For your purpose, the best for me were:

Sweet baby (honeydrive clone)deluxe crunch (nice marshally tone)US Dream (Suhr Riot)Guide at: http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=16105 they have other clones. The compressor is very good too.these sound just as good as my boutique pedals, but probably not as cool to display on your pedalboard, unless a budget vibe is intended
    I love those joyos. Didn't think they were digital at all, just an analogue preamp. Might be wrong though! They're supposed to overcome to amp tone, though - they make a fender sound like an ac30, sorta, rather than a drive pedal into a fender amp.

I love the joyo pedals and, fingers crossed, will be acquiring one in a trade soon... The vintage phaser :) the switches and jacks are probably lower quality, but they can be replaced.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ICBM said:
    Boss OD-1 - unfair to call it a TS-like anyway as it came *first*, but it doesn't have a tone stage. This is quite a big difference and not just the same as putting the tone control halfway.

2 of my favoured drive pedals, it's rare that I don't have an SD-1 when I go out to Jams, always useful for a lead boost/drive.

I prefer a Bad Monkey as a drive/boost into a valve (Ie Marshall) amp.
    Either way 2 of the best (IMO)drive pedals available, and both relatively cheap.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited October 2013
    ToneControl;54997" said:
    the Digital Joyos I tried sounded a bit ropey (the modelling ones like the AC Tone) - if run one into a nice amp, it loses the amp's toneBUT the analogue Joyo pedals I tried and kept were excellent, For your purpose, the best for me were:

Sweet baby (honeydrive clone)deluxe crunch (nice marshally tone)US Dream (Suhr Riot)Guide at: http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=16105 they have other clones. The compressor is very good too.these sound just as good as my boutique pedals, but probably not as cool to display on your pedalboard, unless a budget vibe is intended
    I love those joyos. Didn't think they were digital at all, just an analogue preamp. Might be wrong though! They're supposed to overcome to amp tone, though - they make a fender sound like an ac30, sorta, rather than a drive pedal into a fender amp.

I love the joyo pedals and, fingers crossed, will be acquiring one in a trade soon... The vintage phaser :) the switches and jacks are probably lower quality, but they can be replaced.

the ones with 6 knobs are modelling fx, with digital chips in them. They are supposed to be Tech 21 clones. Although the ones I tried did add the tone of the target amps, on a nice amp they made the final sound less pleasant, rather than just adding character

the smaller analogue pedals sound much better, with all the amps I tried them with

I think they are reasonably well constructed, especially for the money

-----again edited to correct my mistake

the ones with 6 knobs are modelling fx, with digital chips in them. They are supposed to be Tech 21 clones.

Both things can't be true since the Tech21 pedals are analogue!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;55109" said:
    ToneControl said:

the ones with 6 knobs are modelling fx, with digital chips in them. They are supposed to be Tech 21 clones.

Wee bit of freestompboxing suggests they're all analogue, and pretty much direct clones, albeit with poorer soldering and a few component differences.

Still sound the balls :) didn't like the ac tone as much as the American one though.
  • swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    ICBM said:
    swlabr said:
    Interesting read here
    While I would be the first to say that there are a lot of very over-hyped overdrives that are only tweaked Tube Screamers, there are a lot on that list that are significantly different even if they're essentially the same circuit, so don't necessarily lump them all in together.

eg -

Sparkle Drive - the clean blend can make it sound completely different. (I hate it personally, but I know some people love it.)

Many of the boutique ones miss out the TS buffers too, although some include them even if they're true bypass. This changes the tone quite a lot and makes it more sensitive to the other parts of the chain.

Sorry for the double post (thought I had not even posted it in the end due to computer problems).

Not my article BTW.

I also took for granted the SD1 was earlier than the TS and that Ibanez had decided to use a similar circuit but with symetrical clipping instead of assymetrical like the Boss. (or was it the other way round?)

I found the article interesting for it's non-TS recommendations, although I had always thought the KoT / PoT were TS based.

I too believe some TS variants become a class of their own. I particularly like the Mad Professor LGW (still don't get around to why I sold it).

Also loved the sound of the Joyo AC Tone. Pity it did not last me long.
    edited October 2013
    swlabr said:
    I also took for granted the SD1 was earlier than the TS and that Ibanez had decided to use a similar circuit but with symetrical clipping instead of assymetrical like the Boss. (or was it the other way round?)
    No, the OD-1 came first, then the TS, then the SD-1. Ibanez did apparently copy the OD-1 but without the asymetrical clipping to get around the Boss patent. My guess is that Boss did 're-copy' the TS rather than adding a tone circuit to the OD-1, since the circuit on the SD-1 is too close to that of the TS to really be a coincidence I think.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2378
    swlabr said:
    I found the article interesting for it's non-TS recommendations, although I had always thought the KoT / PoT were TS based.
    Don't quote me on this, but I think they're bluesbreaker-based?
  • swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    edited October 2013
    Sorry ICBM, that is what I wanted to write: OD then Ts the SD.

@Dave_Mc You are most likely right but don't have time at the moment to verify.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2378
    Yeah I didn't bother checking either, that's just off the top of my head :))
    ICBM said:

sorry, thought I read digital for those 6 knob ones last year - my bad memory, so I was using it as a way to refer to the 6 knob ones

anyway the experience I had  is - I tried 2 of the 6-knobs Joyos, and they killed the quality in my setup, and were very hissy

The 3 & 4 pot ones all sounded like good-quality clones of boutique pedals

Best bet is probably just call Coda, they were very frank with me as to which ones they recommend,

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 617

No love for the Jet City Afterburner ? Decent pedal for less £50 (I picked it up in USA)

I'm very fond of this yet hardly ever seen anyone mention them

Cheers Baz