Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sinead O'Connors remarkable open letter to Miley Cyrus

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx said:
     No-one forced or coerced Miley Cyrus into doing the things she is doing, and ultimately she is the master of her own destiny.

So buzz off you 80's hack!
    You sure about that? I wouldn't put money on it
    And so you facepalm me?

Or is someone else just a giant steaming maggoty pussy that doesn't want to argue the point and would rather slink away like an infected zombie trying to escape Zoe, Bill, Louis, and inevitably the black one, Louis.... but failing miserably and getting shot in the face so many times that their universe is drowning in claret!!! ..?
    Facepalm wasn't me Drew I'm quite happy to question your opinions in public whilst telling you mine facepalm is for wimps! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What a fucking dick (twerk?) MC is for that response. I don't doubt that the letter was heartfelt. Also. saw Sinead at glasto this year. She was stunning. Far from an 80s hack.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Miley Cyrus is a fucking mess.

If she does have a breakdown I have less than no sympathy for her, she was warned after all...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:
    Miley would do well to pay attention to this.
    I agree. The music industry is a meat factory. It only becomes less so when the industry has had its pound of flesh and they cut you free to be the musician you always meant to be. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    face ? bothered ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    That is what happens when you patronise someone who is... get this.... DOING WHAT THEY WANT TO DO .....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx said:
     No-one forced or coerced Miley Cyrus into doing the things she is doing, and ultimately she is the master of her own destiny.

So buzz off you 80's hack!
    You sure about that? I wouldn't put money on it
    And so you facepalm me?

Or is someone else just a giant steaming maggoty pussy that doesn't want to argue the point and would rather slink away like an infected zombie trying to escape Zoe, Bill, Louis, and inevitably the black one, Louis.... but failing miserably and getting shot in the face so many times that their universe is drowning in claret!!! ..?
    Facepalm wasn't me Drew I'm quite happy to question your opinions in public whilst telling you mine facepalm is for wimps! 
    Nah I knew it wasn't you (you're not a bellend) but I wanted to use it as an opportunity to write that sentence.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    So Miley cites Sinead as a "role model", Sinead replies "well dear, if you mean that then...". then Miley posts tweets about Sinead's mental health... thus showing everyone how disingenuous Miley is.

Sinead has always had strong opinions about music being sexualised - she cut all her hair off after an exec asked her to grow it longer and wear short skirts back in the 80s. That's when she could have made an awful lot of money for being pretty - didn't seem to be her thing.

Name dropping Sinead was a stupid thing to do, of course she'll come back with a "not in my name" response.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    According to the only article I could be bothered to read. Miley stated that she took inspiration for the Wrecking Ball video from the Nothing Compares 2U. Nowhere does it say that she took any professional inspiration from Sinead. So it's plausible that she did indeed find the unsolicited advise patronising.

Having not seen one of these music videos in probably a decade and never seen the other I'd though "lets see if there's evidence of the inspiration" 

Well... Sinead is in her - I'm not sexual so wont do sexy videos stage of her career. She's wearing no (or very nuetral) makeup and a black polo neck. Almost the whole video is talking head (not the band) monologue style colours are deliberately muted to give a solemnity to the whole thing. Miley on the otherhand is wearing enough make up to be mistaken for a cheap hooker, frequently naked, provocatively licking things swinging around naked on a wrecking ball, and for some of the video is talking head style close up (though with the aforementioned cheap trashy make up), Colours are vivid and bright... 

Perhaps instead of "hey darlin' you don' let them narsty record execs make yous do things yous don' want to do" she should have written about the video Miley apparently took inspiration from, as apparently she didn't do a very good job. Unless her inspiration was a moment of watching it and declaring "god this is dull, I'm going to do the exact opposite of all this"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013
    The thing I find strange about people who either don't want to sexualize [insert here] or want to de-sexualize [insert here] is that to me, it seems like blatant ignorance of the fact that as a species, we are sexualized! Even asexuality is an expression of sexualization. Wrap your head around that one folks!

To me, women are sexy. Coz I like women. Plenty of other people think women and men are sexy, and like to look at them, oggle them, appreciate their form... and I think this is just as valid as appreciating someone for their vocal chords, their finger dexterity, their way with words. It's all objectification to some degree. (As an aside I don't find men sexy, but I can appreciate their form and think to myself that I wish I could have those muscles, that jawline, or that non-paedo looking mustache...)

And I don't see the problem with it. Any of it. In fact it seems entirely natural to me, and this phoney outrage and manufactured offense to it... smacks of either ignorance of reality, or actual malice in wanting to control the way people think and act.

And I love the fact that not all women (nor men) think the same way in this regard. Variety spice o' life and all that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3174
    edited October 2013
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Sinead's original letter should have been private.
    If a friend took me to one side and said "Look..Dave...you're drinking far too much tea, and I swear to God I only had ONE out of that last pack of biscuits.. The music industry is making a prostitute out of you, sexualising you to satisfy its own greed, have a word with yourself" ..I'd maybe take it as a heartfelt gesture, a mate looking out for a mate who's hit the teabags/ rich teas too hard.

However, if they wrote to a national newspaper and said "Dear Dave, you're making a right dick out of yourself, you know.." I'd maybe take that as a personal attack, or at best an attempt to score moral indignation points against a sitting target.

Either way, f*ck off. The biscuits are MINE, I tell you.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited October 2013
    I daresay there's no harm done to record sales of either of them. It's all good fun (though, clearly, what Ms Cyrus does with her tits is none of Ms O'Connor's business).
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I daresay there's no harm done to record sales of either of them. It's all good fun (though, clearly, what Ms Cyrus does with her tits is none of Ms O'Connor's business).
    Cue bertie saying "what tits?".

The only problem I have with Miley is her damned tongue and shite dancing. She could do with a few pies too, but that's subjective.
    My V key is broken
    My main problem with her is she is a popstar. Tossers the lot o' em!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1634
    If Miley Cyrus were a bloke I'd think 'what a dickhead'. 

I think that's a pretty fair stance. 

No discernible talent, embarrassingly giddy, yet all over the news. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Seems to me that they are both competing for 'biggest dickhead of the year'.
    It is too close to call.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Miley is much worse, especially when you see how she responded. She really is an arrogant little shit.

Sinead O'Connor might be a bit self-righteous and might have done better not putting Miley down so publicly, but she's also basically right. Don't shoot the messenger, read the message.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    edited October 2013
    Who is this miley person and why are people saying she's the most famous popstar in the world? Has she released any singles? Has she released any albums? I thought not.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.