Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sinead O'Connors remarkable open letter to Miley Cyrus

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ICBM said:
    Miley is much worse, especially when you see how she responded. She really is an arrogant little shit.

Sinead O'Connor might be a bit self-righteous and might have done better not putting Miley down so publicly, but she's also basically right. Don't shoot the messenger, read the message.
    I think this assumption that Sinead is "basically right" is one of the more annoying assumptions I've come across this week. She's basically a copy-pasta sex-negative feminist and everyone is losing their shit over it.

Just don't get it. Nowt wrong with tits and fanny. Nowt wrong with paying to see either of them. Less cringeworthy harpies please Lord!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Drew_fx said:
    I think this assumption that Sinead is "basically right" is one of the more annoying assumptions I've come across this week. She's basically a copy-pasta sex-negative feminist and everyone is losing their shit over it.

Just don't get it. Nowt wrong with tits and fanny. Nowt wrong with paying to see either of them. Less cringeworthy harpies please Lord!
    I don't agree. First, its not an assumption, it's an opinion. Second, I'm no prude and I like seeing naked women as much as the next heterosexual male. Third, what Sinead O'Connor is saying isn't "feminist".

The problem is that Miley Cyrus can have a real impact on her fans, which until now have been almost entirely young girls. She can do what she likes, yes - but she needs to be more aware of what she is communicating to her audience. For what it's worth my 12-year-old daughter isn't impressed either... not because she finds nudity offensive or embarrassing - I've always brought her up to think that it's natural and nothing to be ashamed of - but because she thinks Miley's *behaviour* in trying far too hard to appear "adult" is crass and embarrassing.

Regardless of what you think about Sinead O'Connor and whether she should have kept her mouth shut over something which only indirectly concerns her (although the reference to her video in Miley's one is painfully contrived and almost equally crass) is another matter - she is right that Miley is sending out a dangerous message to young girls who might be more impressionable than you think, as a grown man with no kids.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited October 2013
    There are dangerous messages being sent out to all kinds of people, don't really see why this particular one needs so much focus. What Sinead is doing can be correctly identified as sex-negative feminism, as opposed to sex-positive feminism, which I have much less of an issue with.

In short - she tried to shame the girl, it backfired and she got some (deserved I'd say) crass commentary for her efforts.

The argument that "she can have a real impact on her fans" is just another "wont somebody think of the childreeeennn!!!" in different clothing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Drew_fx said:
    There are dangerous messages being sent out to all kinds of people, don't really see why this particular one needs so much focus.
    Because this one is a very recently former child star with an already large following, hence it can have a disproportionately powerful effect even compared to the same sort of thing from the likes of Rihanna etc. (Which by and large I'm OK with.)

Drew_fx said:
    In short - she tried to shame the girl, it backfired and she got some (deserved I'd say) crass commentary for her efforts.
    I'm not sure it backfired. It exposed Miley as an arrogant shit who tried using a reference to someone 'cool' (whether you think she is or not) to her advantage and then when she was pulled up for it, turned nasty.

Drew_fx said:
    The argument that "she can have a real impact on her fans" is just another "wont somebody think of the childreeeennn!!!" in different clothing.
    What's that supposed to mean?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Y'know what? It's slightly annoying that the most reasonable person directly involved in this whole exchange is Amanda Fucking Palmer, and that's only because she jumped in uninvited.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    viz said:
    Who is this miley person and why are people saying she's the most famous popstar in the world? Has she released any singles? Has she released any albums? I thought not.
    This. And Sinead's only had one song and a torn photo incident. I know them both for so very little I'm baffled as to why they keep popping up on the news.
    All practice and no theory
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
    Apparently Justin Beever has joined sides with Whiney Cyrus.  Awww.... that's a Celebrity Deathmatch episode waiting to happen - JB&MC take on SO'C and.... oooh... who could team with Sinead ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    A velociraptor on drugs that make you really want to kill two twatty people... with a gun.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Apparently Justin Beever has joined sides with Whiney Cyrus.  Awww.... that's a Celebrity Deathmatch episode waiting to happen - JB&MC take on SO'C and.... oooh... who could team with Sinead ?
    Amanda Palmer might side with SO'C, but I'm not sure. Pretty sure she fights dirty, so it'd be over in seconds either way.
    <space for hire>