Go home, Norfolk Mains Electricity, you're drunk. And lairy.

What's Hot
EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
I knew that custom transformer for the Princeton was a good idea.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Free volts!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    We have a similar problem in Birmingham on occasion.

I built this for my AC30;

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    EdGrip said:
    I knew that custom transformer for the Princeton was a good idea.

Oh, it's VOLTS on the display. I thought that was the latest bill.

Of course there's the question of what the calibration on that meter...
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Maybe it's measuring the peak AC voltage rather than the thingybob that's 230. Can't remember the name but it's a calculation of the DC equivalent.
    My V key is broken
    Root mean square. The factor is 1/sqrt(2), and peak would be about 340V (or 368V in this case!). So far as I know an A/C meter will always report RMS.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Yeah it's not that then.
    My V key is broken
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Have you notified them as it's outside the +10% -6% bounds of the The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002. Although as previously said the calibration of the monitor could be questioned but it should be enough evidence for them to investigate.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maybe it's measuring the distance to the nearest sandwich
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You must have Russ Andrews grade gold plated unicorn hair mains cables.

Have you noticed your mids being any more haunted recently?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm wondering if this is what's wrong with my toaster - voltage too high.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I'd say the mids on my amp are haunting, but my toaster is definitely haunted. 

My Fluke matches that thing. I haven't notified them. I probably should. That's the worst yet, though.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72685
    It could be *just* within the legal maximum (253V) if the meter has a 3% error, which is not uncommon for cheaper ones - but even then the meter would have to be at the outer end of the tolerance as well, so I'm pretty sure the true voltage is over the limit. And certainly so if the Fluke gives the same reading, even their basic models are 1% I think.

It's like that at a studio I do some work for, and they have complained - an electricity company man came round, stuck his meter on it and said "it's fine, it's 253 volts". NOT fine! Especially as it varies during the day and the time it was measured is not when they get the highest voltage. I did suggest they asked to see the calibration certificate for the meter but they didn't really understand what I meant...

So much for the "European harmonised 230V" that we supposedly get.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Cirrus said:
    We have a similar problem in Birmingham on occasion.

I built this for my AC30;

@Cirrus, what exactly does that little box do?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited February 2015
    It takes off either 12 or 24 volts from the mains power going into the amp. Basically there's a little 12v transformer in there, and by wiring it out of phase with itself you can get it to shave off some voltage passing through it.
  • Cirrus said:
    It takes off either 12 or 24 volts from the mains power going into the amp. Basically there's a little 12v transformer in there, and by wiring it out of phase with itself you can get it to shave off some voltage passing through it.
    I'm intrigued. Any chance of a schematic?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited February 2015

Make sure you connect the secondary winding the right way round or you'll end up with boosted output voltage instead of reduced :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Why wire the transformer primary? Simply wire the secondary in series on the live? Or am I missing something obvious, thanks @ICBM or @Cirrus
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited February 2015
    Rocker said:
    Why wire the transformer primary? Simply wire the secondary in series on the live? Or am I missing something obvious, thanks @ICBM or @Cirrus
    You need the primary to generate the voltage in the secondary. Without that, it would just be a choke in series with the load, and barely reduce the voltage.

Essentially you've created an auto-transformer, and because the secondary is physically separate and capable of being reverse-phased it can be on the output side, rather than the usual arrangement with the input being the full coil and the output being the tap. I'm pretty sure using the secondary like that allows a much smaller core size for the same power transfer as well, but I could be wrong.

The main thing is, when you're wiring it up don't accidentally bridge the live and neutral wires with a multimeter probe, because then the whole house goes dark and your partner gets very cross with you. And you need to buy a new multimeter probe too, which is even worse!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom