Go home, Norfolk Mains Electricity, you're drunk. And lairy.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited February 2015
    Ah, the old "lol or wisdom?" debate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24456
    I often have the opposite problem - I've seen my supply drop to 210 sometimes.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Like @ICBM says: wire the secondary up the other way round :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72709
    Emp_Fab said:
    Like @ICBM says: wire the secondary up the other way round :)
    Careful…

If that's a *variable* voltage rather than consistently low, when it's closer to the nominal then the output voltage will be higher than it's supposed to be, since the transformer gives a fixed ratio.

Unless it's consistently well below the nominal voltage - in which case a complaint to the power company is in order - then I would never step it up. Most modern equipment will work equally well with a little lower voltage - in fact switch-mode power supplies aren't affected at all, which is why you often see them labelled "100-240V".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Does a power conditioner help with this sort of thing?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72709
    Does a power conditioner help with this sort of thing?
    Yes, if it's a proper conditioner and not just a spike/noise suppressor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4999
    Thanks @ICBM, as you say it is an auto transformer when wired up that way. Ingenious. It is a bad day when you don't learn something new.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Have a Rack protector for my pathetically small amount of studio gear, only really got it 'cos Clarky told us all to on MR or even Intermusic (well that and all the power out sockets, and the sexy downlighters ;) )

Regularly shows input as between 259v-261v

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24456
    I've got all mine running through a UPS I acquired.  It does all that boosting / cutting / filtering stuff.  You can hear it cutting in when the voltage goes off-piste.  It's a pain in the summer though as I use a pressure washer a fair bit and it overheats quicker when the voltage is low.  P=IV, V=IR and all that stuff ol' Georg discovered.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming