Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Always on' Effects

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17699
    tFB Trader
    bertie said:
    nothing
    It's not a thread about clothes Bert
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303

dogload said:
    I am sure there are folks who have reverb or delay always on.

I just assumed that that was a given! 

I have never routinely used reverb live. To a large extent it just disappears in many rooms anyway and higher levels can reduce what you are doing to smush. Of course, sometimes smush is exactly what you are after so there is a reverb pedal on my board...
    :)>-
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2379
    For heavier tones I'd normally leave a fairly transparent overdrive on (danelectro timmy clone or digitech screamin blues, normally) all the time, as i prefer the tone that way at the (low) volumes I normally play at.

• dogload said:

I just assumed that that was a given! 

I have never routinely used reverb live. To a large extent it just disappears in many rooms anyway and higher levels can reduce what you are doing to smush. Of course, sometimes smush is exactly what you are after so there is a reverb pedal on my board...
    :)>-
    I agree  - I keep the amp reverb switched off live unless I want an obvious 'reverby' effect. I think an analogue delay set subtly keeps things a lot clearer and punchier.
    There's usually too much room reverb at most gigs anyway, given the normal room size-punters ratio. 
    ;)
  • FezFez Frets: 536
    A little reverb that's all

Don't touch that dial.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8783
    Sporky said:

We refer to such people as "good", "honest" and "morally upstanding".

@Fez and I are on Sporky's list of top  people.  Other effects I turn on and off as required.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    I always have reverb on. I've never come across a problem with it muddying the guitar sound... maybe I don't play fast enough for it to.

I went for a very long time with tremolo always on too - actually I had two, one was used as a 'tremolo effect' as you would expect and turned on and off, and the other was always on but set so subtle you didn't really notice it. It did add a lot of 'life' to the sound though. I only really stopped when I started playing more acoustic where you don't normally have that option.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    bertie said:
    nothing
    It's not a thread about clothes Bert

you sure? Bertie's often seen wearing nothing but a Mooer phaser to cover his modesty....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    bertie said:
    nothing
    Nothing will come of nothing.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I spent decades playing through my Boss CS3 compressor (3 knobs, can be quite severe) - for everything. Just loved the muscle it gave to a clean sound, and how it pushed a fuzzbox over the edge...! Then I recently turned it off sometimes... and the notes jumping out untamed was OK!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Lixarto said:
    bertie said:
    nothing
    Speak again.

Oh, I've always wanted to be part of a clique!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33851
    Klon.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    99% of the time I have a SHO Clone switched on - gives everything a bit more 'sparkle' :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    Lixarto said:
    bertie said:
    nothing
    Try telling that to Stephen Hawking
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    For a long time I'd always keep some kind of low gain drive on to add some grit to my cleans (usually a Double Muff) until more recently where it's become a compressor (Soul Preacher or Dynacomp) unless I'm using humbuckers, which has been pretty much all the time thanks to my Cobain Jag. 

I did get the Behringer DC-2 clone the other day though... and I'm having a hard time turning that off on my cleans.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I tend to have my emerson emdrive as an always on pedal. I use it as a subtle boost that's gives an extra sparkle. It may be a very simple circuit but it seems to just add something I like, plus it's at the back of my board so I can't be bothered to step over to turn it off once it's on!
  • miserneil;49241" said:
    99% of the time I have a SHO Clone switched on - gives everything a bit more 'sparkle' :-)
    Did you make the clone yourself? If not what kind is it? I really fancy a SHO like!

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    I have a BBE sonic maximiser on al the time. I still don't know what it actually does, but I just prefer it on rather than off.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    thomasw88 said:
    I have a BBE sonic maximiser on al the time. I still don't know what it actually does, but I just prefer it on rather than off.
    It maximises your sonic, of course!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    thomasw88 said:
    It maximises your sonic, of course!
    It's easier to visualise what it does. 

It essentially does this to your sound: