Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I've always wondered this.

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2434
What was the inspiration/source behind the forums header image?

Is it a throwback to the MR days?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No.    Its just a Fretboard.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited February 2015
    Cool.

Wonder how controversial it would be considered to suggest updating it :)

• d8m said:
    Cool.

GET OUT YOU BLEEDIN' TROUBLE RISER!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8m said:
    Cool.

Heresy 

• d8m said:
    Cool.

are you Lixarto's third account? :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27714
    d8m said:
    Not controversial at all.

It was originally something that ddlooping (who was involved back in the day and helped with some of the design work) created - I think based on a photo he had of his Diaz (very, very long story) guitars.

We've been talking about overhauling the design - the large banner logo isn't very space efficient, and it's not something that we can really use on other media (like the t-shirts!).  We'd like to use the screen space for other content (no, not ads!).

Problem is, none of us are graphic designers/artists, and we've struggled to find someone who has those skills, and some sort of understanding of what we'd like to achieve, without paying a few hundred £s to a professional agency.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    d8m said:
    Not controversial at all.

It was originally something that ddlooping (who was involved back in the day and helped with some of the design work) created - I think based on a photo he had of his Diaz (very, very long story) guitars.

We've been talking about overhauling the design - the large banner logo isn't very space efficient, and it's not something that we can really use on other media (like the t-shirts!).  We'd like to use the screen space for other content (no, not ads!).

Problem is, none of us are graphic designers/artists, and we've struggled to find someone who has those skills, and some sort of understanding of what we'd like to achieve, without paying a few hundred £s to a professional agency.
    @randomhandclaps for the win!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    TTony said:

Problem is, none of us are graphic designers/artists, and we've struggled to find someone who has those skills, and some sort of understanding of what we'd like to achieve, without paying a few hundred £s to a professional agency..
    Why not make it a challenge.  Even if it's just for fun.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    +1, hold a competition and see what's submitted. There's plenty of talented people around these parts.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree actually I think it does need changing, the banner needs to look a bit more professional I think.
    Old Is Gold
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24456
    I used it on my 'TempFab' forum before this place was created.  If Tony says it was Mr Looping's then it must be - my memory is shit.

I seem to remember the original had 'The Fretboard' written along the er... fretboard.

I never understood why it had blackcurrant jam dripping from the neck binding though.

Come on then....  let's see whatcha got !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    d8m said:
    Cool.

If you'd be so good as to give your address and collar size we could schedule the lynch mob for Wednesday?
    :P

Must be a graphic designer hiding here somewhere.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Let him stick a little signature at the bottom, would be good exposure. Win-Win!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    How am I going to know where I am if you go changing the logo? Some people give no thought to the older generation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    hobbio said:
    +1, hold a competition and see what's submitted. There's plenty of talented people around these parts.
    I can work Photoshop + Illustrator, do you know where I can get some talent? :)

I think a comp would be pretty cool though, especially if we could submit them anonomously somehow!

• I'd happily have a go at a new banner if open for submissions. I'll have to learn some PS first, but I want to anyway, so it'd be a good excuse.

Would suggest specifying banner size, keeping the current colour theme and set a deadline, then let people go for it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Emp_Fab said:
    I never understood why it had blackcurrant jam dripping from the neck binding though.

Isn't it a Gretsch fingerboard, like the White Falcon (and others) ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27714
    More than happy to have an internal compo for it, and we certainly do have some talented "artists" on here

:D

We'd be looking for something that fits into a square area (so, including designs based on circles, plectrums, etc), that we can use as a consistent identity here, on our SoundCloud and YT channels, FaceBook (pah), Twitter, etc.

Also something that can be adapted (ie resized without loss of quality) so it can be used on t-shirts (and other promo stuff) with the inclusion of additional detail - eg the 2015 t-shirt).

Examples of stuff that we've previously used;

These from @Basher

This from some guy in the Philippines (via a crowd sourcing site) that I paid about $50 to for;

(to put $50 into context, we had to sell about 10 t-shirts to cover that cost, so it ate into the fund raising quite considerably, which is why we've not gone out to a "proper" design agency)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited February 2015
    I didn't do graphic design but did do product design so know my way around graphics a bit, there will be others better than me without a doubt.

I vote we make this an internal comp and the mods provide a set of templates the logo/graphic needs to fit into( ie banner on top of page, square one for Farcebook)

Winner could be chosen by a members vote.

:)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Mick said:
    TTony said:

Problem is, none of us are graphic designers/artists, and we've struggled to find someone who has those skills, and some sort of understanding of what we'd like to achieve, without paying a few hundred £s to a professional agency..
    Why not make it a challenge.  Even if it's just for fun.
    ;)
    I'm totally up for the challenge! What key is it in?