Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I've always wondered this.

What's Hot

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Or change it to this:

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1207
    I seem to recall doing a cleaner banner design as I was never that keen on it. I don't actually like mine very much - way too literal - but I just did it as the image of a fretboard seemed to be what was wanted. I'm not sure if I actually submitted it as I got the impression that the original was popular.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now.

Just be careful if you make it a competition. Popularity isn't always the best measure of these things and you can end up with the "least bad" option. It's obvious but the sort of things metal types like in a logo are not always the things that a smooth jazz dude wants plastered all over his mug/shirt/underpants.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I liked bashers t-shirt designs, i'm quite into the clean vector art type look but i think theyre the wrong shape for the banner. 

Our singer is a pretty awesome artist but he has a very particular style, check out his stuff here: 

If you had a brief I reckon he would consider a commission. He did all our album art for example.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You may have seen some of my work featured in many high brow publications however since this wonderful forum is free to use and i have acquired a wealth of knowledge and pedals from here, i would like to gift you some of my work that you can use as a header for this page. 

No need to thank me, it's why i'm here. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm quite a minimalist so my effort would be  pretty understated/

I'm in if everyoen else is!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27717
    Basher said:
    Just be careful if you make it a competition. Popularity isn't always the best measure of these things 
    You're absolutely right.

I liked bashers t-shirt designs
    Yup - we all did.

Our singer is a pretty awesome artist but he has a very particular style, check out his stuff here: 

Nice work - is he a singer and part-time artist, or an artist and part-time singer?

If you had a brief 
    I don't even know what an artist would need to have defined in a brief - it's one of the obstacles that's stopped up going out to a professional (the other obstacle being cost).  What I said up there ^^ is the closest that I've got a brief ...
    TTony said:
    We'd be looking for something that fits into a square area (so, including designs based on circles, plectrums, etc), that we can use as a consistent identity here, on our SoundCloud and YT channels, FaceBook (pah), Twitter, etc.

Also something that can be adapted (ie resized without loss of quality) so it can be used on t-shirts (and other promo stuff) with the inclusion of additional detail - eg the 2015 t-shirt).
    I think that means that the design has to be something pretty simple, so that it would be usable and recognisable when sized small, and not be full of colours that would be more difficult/expensive to print (eg the t-shirts).  

Either that, or there's a small & simple logo-style version that gets progressively more detailed as it gets larger for other uses (the t-shirts again), though it does that without losing the small & simple theme.

Whatever, the design should clearly be guitar themed, and preferably incorporate some sort of fretboard into it.

Is that a brief?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    You may have seen some of my work featured in many high brow publications however since this wonderful forum is free to use and i have acquired a wealth of knowledge and pedals from here, i would like to gift you some of my work that you can use as a header for this page. 

I've not noticed your name in any of the mainstream art exhibitions that I've attended, so can I presume that you're still in your "undiscovered" phase?
    edited February 2015
    I hate writing briefs, did in Uni and still do now.

The worst ones are the open ended ones which give you so much free reign its hard to actually summarise what it is you require.

Just use these:

• TTony said:
    You may have seen some of my work featured in many high brow publications however since this wonderful forum is free to use and i have acquired a wealth of knowledge and pedals from here, i would like to gift you some of my work that you can use as a header for this page. 

I've not noticed your name in any of the mainstream art exhibitions that I've attended, so can I presume that you're still in your "undiscovered" phase?
    Theres no money to be made in art galleries, theres always a suggested donation on the door that everyone just throws a few pennies in quickly so nobody realises they haven't put a fiver in. 

Most of my work goes into Icelandic Crotchet Publications. Thats where the money is. 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1207
    d8m said:
    I hate writing briefs, did in Uni and still do now.

The worst ones are the open ended ones which give you so much free reign its hard to actually summarise what it is you require.

Just use these:

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15999
    edited February 2015

how about the treble clef with 6 lines, not 5 (guitar strings of course) and a coupla HB PUPs through?

simples, easy tae draw/reproduce and very recognisable.....if that's the right word 

oh.........on the strings at the opposite end of the treble clef we could have the words;

the

fretboard

shaped as a headstock

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Ha, ha! Superb!

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
    How much would a professional designer cost? I have no idea about these things. 

I'm happy to provide a small donation to top up the forum funds, and I'm sure others would too, for something that looks great.

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Need size(s) in pixels, or at least the aspect ratio(s).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Nomad said:
    Need size(s) in pixels, or at least the aspect ratio(s).
    Aspect ratio - square.  The current banner image is really wasted space, so we're thinking about freeing up some of that space and tucking the new logo/ID into a corner.

We're really looking for an image / identity that's slightly different but still recognisably "us" across different sizes & uses.  

Perhaps a simplified version of the graphic that works at 160px FB profile pic size, as well as something (with a bit more detail) that works for a SoundCloud profile pic (800px IIRC),  

The little one might just have theFB.co.uk, the bigger one could have theFretBoard.co.uk (obviously we have both domains).

My problem is that I'm not at all artistic, so I'm struggling to even give what a creative would consider to be the most basic detail!
    I'll give it a shot over the weekend. 

No laughing though yeh!

Basher said:
    Brilliant & very clever @Basher - although not quite what we're looking for in a logo/ID

:D
    So, anyone done anything?

Anything that they'd like to share here ...
  • I have ideas but no photoshopness. Gah!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited February 2015
    TTony said:
    So, anyone done anything?

Anything that they'd like to share here ...
    I haven't had time :(