Noisy amp when using Pedals with power adaptor

What's Hot
HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
edited February 2015 in FX
The only Pedals I use are a TS9, a BBL clean boost and a boss TU tuner pedal. I am getting fizzing/buzzing noised when powered from adaptor. They are fine powered from batteries. Iv tried 3 different power supplies but all are noisy to a degree. Iv tried isolating each pedal but they all seem to add some noise. I dont think they used to do this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Does this happen when set up in different rooms or is it just in the one room (at home)? Maybe it's a mains earthing issue?

Or maybe you need a better power supply? I would think those three pedals would be fine on a daisy chain but isolated outputs may possibly help.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    What power supplies are you using?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sounds like the power supply to me .. I had a similar issue which I cured by buying a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    It could well be the mains indeed. I had really noisy mains at my old house so in conjunction with a decent isolated PSU I got myself a Tacima plug board from Amazon that is a power conditioner as well and use it as part of my rig everywhere I go now. Made a real difference for me

• I had some weird noise problems daisy-chaining a Boss power supply - one pedal (a CE-2) was particularly noisy.

I run my board with a Pedal Power 2 these days and have no noise issues at all.

It isn't a cheap option but it is very good.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    It's got to be the power supply.  You get what you pay for.  I use a T Rex Chameleon and my pedals are pretty much silent. A cheap power supply will add noise. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Harley benton power plant junior is isolated and good quality - absolutely silent, and has capability to power those pedals and more. It's a "weak" supply - it won't do any really hungry pedals, but should cope easily with those.

If you still have a problem with noise, it's not the psu. The harley benton is cheap enough to give a go - about the price of a one spot?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    HB PP jr. Great price and works well.

It does do MOST hungry pedals (those consuming over 100ma are catered for by a y adapter cable.)

Has a daisy chain too.

Simple. Cheap. Works.
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    I was using a Soundlab power brick but I think that is definably faulty (loud buzzing whatever I plug it into. Im using a generic 9v at the moment but I also have tried the supply from my POD HD. The tuner pedal is a bit noisy but as soon as I daisychain them the whistling and farting starts. separate supplies add noise but not so bad. Iv tried a combination of power supply and batteries and thats not so bad. Worse culprit is the tuner. as soon as I plug into that noise is introduced. Looks like Im going to be investing in a decent supply.

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Sounds like it could be ground hum.

Isolated power supply is the way forward!

If only I could take my own advice :)

edited February 2015
    What are the Joyo Powersupply 2 (JP02)like. Any good? I see they are isolated. Im a bit strapped for cash :-(
    If you're strapped for cash wouldn't the Harley Benton Junior make more sense considering you only need to power 3 pedals at the moment,you'd still have 2 more leads if you wanted to add another couple of pedals later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Harley Benton Power Plant Junior is hard to beat for the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2015
    HHwarner said:
    What are the Joyo Powersupply 2 (JP02)like. Any good? I see they are isolated. Im a bit strapped for cash :-(
    It looks suspiciously like a PSU made by Caline, which is susceptible to hum. 

I cannot vouch for the Joyo and don't want to be quoted as saying they are the same model, but as for the Caline and hum, let me put it this way: Have you ever stood near a busy beehive on a beautiful May afternoon? 
    edited February 2015
    I've got my eye on one of these:

Id like to buy one of those to upgrade from my Diago micropower as the cabling will be tidier, and get a pedaltrain and finally put a proper board together :)

For whats its worth the Diago stuff is quiet to my ears and hard to beat for the price.

The T Rex fueltank is just a rebadged Harley Benton.
    Only joking!
    Is the Harley Benton isolated?
    Sassafras said:
    The T Rex fueltank is just a rebadged Harley Benton.
    Only joking!
    I am intrigued by this.

Specially if it saves me money but is still up to the job.

Elaborate? 

:)

HHwarner said:
    Is the Harley Benton isolated?
    Yes. Just buy it and join the many satisfied owners on these Boards.  ;)
    The HB it is then ;-)