Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps for electric Violins?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    My ex and I used to play in a lprog rock band together and she used to play her electric violin through my Peavey Classic Chorus 130. Plenty of headroom and tonal options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited February 2015
    Any ideas?

The daughter of a friend has just got an electric violin and needs an amplifier.

My first thought was a keyboard or bass amp - but what say you fine people?
    DC has a couple of Zeta violins.. 
    iirc, they have piezo pups

he used to play them through a Boss GT-10
    now I think he has a Boss GT-100
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Mesa Tremoverb or something equally as heavy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • i had someone use my peavey bandit with e violin. sounded fine. I would imagine any amp with good clean headroom would be good. I play my mandolin through mine, similar frequency range.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    edited February 2015
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    AER would be good, but a bit expensive.
    Ditto on the AER, our Django violinist uses one (used to use a Roland 30w monitor), and so does Elana James of The Hot Club of Cowtown.
    She's 10 years old. I think an AER is somewhat out of reach at the moment!
    You might have mentioned that :-w

Also, why the flipperty-flop buy an electric violin for a 10yo ? :|
    It's a bit like the Yammie silent ones. So it's a fair bit quieter and she can practice with headphones as well.

put a clothes peg on the bridge of a regular fiddle, does a good job of quieting it up, without shifting the pitch at all. I'm told 2 pegs will dead it almost completely.

I use VOS clothes pegs, hand crafted from old growth oak by gypsies for that more vintagey silence.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    edited February 2015
    My daughters have practice mutes for their violin and viola, but they don't like them much because they kill the tone and dynamics as well as the volume, and they seem to find it harder to play well with them on. I can completely understand that.

Here's why electric violins are cool… this sounds like it's got distortion on it as well as a bit of delay. The original studio recording had tape phasing on it as well by the sound of it.

(Skip to 2'59" if you want to go straight to the violin solo.)

Be careful if you're searching for the original studio version, the album cover is probably NSFW.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited February 2015
    is she in a Roxy Music MkII tribute band? Or String Driven Thing trib?? Doctors of Madness??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>