Pension

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10773
edited October 2013 in Off Topic
I've been paying into a Zurich pension since 2000. I looked at the valuation yesterday and compared it with the amount that was paid in, and calculate that, after charges (totalling 39k!!!) it has grown at 0.002485%. If anyone wants to pay me 39k to keep their money under a mattress, please PM me.
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

If that is not "mis-selling " I don't know what is ... you'd have eared a LOT more just having the money in a basic savings account in the Bank! ...  take the ba$$tards to the Ombudsman, you've nothing to lose and much to gain.

PS .. posted in wrong section?

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    edited October 2013
    That is exceptionally shit.
    £39k is a decent house deposit though- if you can get a BTL loan.

Even in the middle of the GFC, where everything dropped we were still ahead- since then there has been a complete recovery.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    Pensions are a waste of time & money.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    I should have been putting it in a isa thingy. And give us miras back you wank'rs. And stop adjusting the tax brackets. And can't you banks and credit card companies stop charging 39% APR and offering 1% on deposits? It's a tad rich. And why is it that the bottom 20% wealthy group of the population donate 4% of income to charity, while the top 20% pay 2% and they get 20% tax back on that? And why did my Equitable Life pension pot got up in smoke in the 90s? And why are annuities plummeting?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    I should have been putting it in a isa thingy. And give us miras back you wank'rs. And stop adjusting the tax brackets. And can't you banks and credit card companies stop charging 39% APR and offering 1% on deposits? It's a tad rich. And why is it that the bottom 20% wealthy group of the population donate 4% of income to charity, while the top 20% pay 2% and they get 20% tax back on that? And why did my Equitable Life pension pot got up in smoke in the 90s? And why are annuities plummeting?

City bankers* have a lot to answer for.

*Aptly named as it rhymes with what they are....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

City as well as bankers.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512

That is indeed total shit. Reminds me of getting my warning letter about my endowment mortgage. Basically: " You borrowed £60k from us 7  years ago,. Best case scenario, your policy will pay out £45k, worst case scenario, it will pay out £30k". This was the mid 90's and interest rates were still hovering around 4 - 5%.

And you thought Dick Turpin was dead.

Crap isn't it.
  • EEven with poor performance I reckon their still a decent investment vehicle for me simply because of the company uplift which doubles my money straight away.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    viz said:
    And why is it that the bottom 20% wealthy group of the population donate 4% of income to charity, while the top 20% pay 2% and they get 20% tax back on that?
    Because 2% of the top 20%'s income is a shitload more money than 4% of the bottom 4%'s income?

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    No.
    Well partly.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15860
    I guess they give 2% as that's probably the figure their expensive finance advisor would be adequate for them to salve their guilty conscience.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Pensions are only worth bothering with if your employer contributes too.

Even then, you have to choose the company wisely. Fidelity are good.

Many people went into BTL because successive governments, but mainly Gordon Brown, have destroyed pensions. Trouble is, that boat seems to have long since sailed. Unless you go into housing benefit HMO route in cheaper parts of the UK (e.g. buy a large run down house and convert it into bedsits and rent them back to the council for 100 quid a week apiece). 
    Our company finance chap is suggesting i move it to axa - lower fees, higher returns, same transfer bonus. Seems reasonable.
    Viz, if yo still need someone to keep £39K under their matress I can do this for you. You may* only get back £30k due to "administration fees" though

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

The 39k IS the administration fee! You're meant to keep all of it!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971

viz said:
    I've been paying into a Zurich pension since 2000. I looked at the valuation yesterday and compared it with the amount that was paid in, and calculate that, after charges (totalling 39k!!!) it has grown at 0.002485%. If anyone wants to pay me 39k to keep their money under a mattress, please PM me.
    You've paid c£3k/yr in fees ???

That's either a very large pension pot that they're (not) looking after for you, or you're getting (or paying for) some incredible level of service!

However, depending on when you invested (pre/post the early 2000's crash) you've suffered either 1 or 2 general stockmarket crashes in that period.  If you were invested in a basic FTSE-100 tracker, that level of growth is about right, scarily.

Chart forFTSE 100 (^FTSE)

Of course, the job of the investment professional is to out-perform the standard UK index ... but that'll depend on the level of direction that you gave them, your stated risk appetite, etc.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15860
    I think it's socially irresponsible for you to keep that money under your mattress. What happens if the govt need to take it to give to a failing bank. It will be much easier if it's kept in an account of some sort. You really need to think through the implications of what you are planning, stop being so selfish, won't someone think of the bankers.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

viz said:
    The 39k IS the administration fee! You're meant to keep all of it!

In that case, defo, and the beer is on me tomorrow....