Slash and Friedman

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
Dave is modding Slash's amps now. I wonder how Marshall feel about that? Could they not mod his amps in exactly the same way considering all of that gooey sponsorship?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1303

where has this information coming from.

Having a 3rd party mod signature amps or amps he's paid to use....seems unlikley

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He probably uses the modded amps for a different sound.  I assume you're referring to this?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2755
    Dave Friedman says it here.    I guess he just wanted some variations rather than being unhappy with the sound - we all like to experiment with other options from time to time...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11712
    tFB Trader
    Does anyone know if Slash actually OWNS the original Marshall amp that was modified by Tim Caswell that was S.I.R. studios #39 stock item (IE - the amp that he used on Appetite)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• In his autobiography he says it was returned by mistake and that was the last he ever saw of it! Apparently he was going to try and keep it permanently, but someone from the studio sent it back.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786
    darcym said:

where has this information coming from.

Having a 3rd party mod signature amps or amps he's paid to use....seems unlikley

I don't think Marshall pay their endorses at all, they just get better support.

Loads of artists had deals and then hide the amp they really use in an isolation box under the stage! 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    theanimal said:
    In his autobiography he says it was returned by mistake and that was the last he ever saw of it! Apparently he was going to try and keep it permanently, but someone from the studio sent it back.
    I think he said in that book that he pretended it was nicked, so that he could keep it. But yes they ended up getting in back somehow in the end. 

I also read somewhere (though who knows if this is true) that at one point Ritchie Blackmore allegedly had the guts of an AC30 inside a Marshall head chassis. 

• You guys seen the picture of Nuno with the stacks of rand alls and then the DSL behind them?! http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164542 Towards the end of the page....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    It's just the Custom 45 mod he's done (same as the C45 switch on the back of the BE100). 
  • hobbio said:

How the hell can you tell it's a DSL from that angle?

Also, if you are going to break your endorsement to use something else, why not pick a great Marshall?
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    the older DSL's are a great sounding Marshall (ask Nuno) there are loads of pictures like this with the JCM2000 DSL 100 or even 50 in some photos behind the sig amps
    I never said it was anything, I just posted the pic lol. Maybe Nuno thinks the DSL is great.

I think people were posting about having seen it at gigs and then some photos emerged showing a Marshall.

• I know Slash has stopped using the AFD on the road and he's back to the JCM800s, i wouldn't be surprised if he is using Friedman stuff at all.

Now if he released a Friedman sig amp (SL100) then the internet would explode :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2015

B O O M

(I'd rather Slash not get associated with Friedman.. I'd have to sell mine if he did)
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I know Slash has stopped using the AFD on the road and he's back to the JCM800s, i wouldn't be surprised if he is using Friedman stuff at all.

Now if he released a Friedman sig amp (SL100) then the internet would explode :D
    do you actually know what he's using on the road, as he used to use his 96 sig and a jubilee style amp, then he moved to the AFD's
    Si_ said:

B O O M

(I'd rather Slash not get associated with Friedman.. I'd have to sell mine if he did)
    Serious question @Si_, would it really bother you that much if an artist that you don't particularly like started using gear that you own? I get that you're joking here btw, but I'm just wondering. Would the fact that Slash uses Les Pauls stop you from buying one, for example? Or if he switched to Strats would you sell any Strats that you own?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I think the SIR that Slash had confiscated back off him was quite quickly nicked by someone else and it was indeed apparently never seen again. 

I guess it's one of two things here. Whoever nicked it knows exactly what they have and will keep it hidden till the day they die or it's been sold maybe numerous times and some unsuspecting guitarist is out gigging one of the most famous amps of musical fokelore used on countless major records in the local bar :D

To be honest, I'm amazed Slash never contacted Tim Caswell to make / mod him something. I can't remember if it was him or one of the other guys who modded the original amp but worst case scenario Tim would have known the circuit as the main tech guy at SIR.
    edited February 2015
    hobbio said:
    Si_ said:

B O O M

Serious question @Si_, would it really bother you that much if an artist that you don't particularly like started using gear that you own? I get that you're joking here btw, but I'm just wondering. Would the fact that Slash uses Les Pauls stop you from buying one, for example? Or if he switched to Strats would you sell any Strats that you own?
    No at all.. was just joking.. I've had Slash gear in the past, and would have it again if it was what I fancied. Although I am influenced by what my idols play (Who isn't), I would never NOT buy something because I didn't like the endorsee.

(I actually like slash as a player)
    I know you were joking, but it does pose an interesting question. Personally I don't think I'd allow an endorsee to influence my purchasing, unless perhaps it was someone I really didn't like and it was heavily branded. For example, if this was real I wouldn't buy it even if it played and sounded better than anything else:

Conversely, I'm not much of a Chris Cornell fan but I'd sell a testicle to own one of these:

I'd still want the Chris Cornell sig even if it had an actual signature or other branding on the headstock.