Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Life hacks - which side is my filler cap on.

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
edited February 2015 in Off Topic
I found out recently that on my car dashboard next to the petrol pump icon is an arrow showing which side the filler cap is on. Not only this but it's a standard feature on all cars.

Is this commen knowledge, did you know that?

This raises the interesting question - what other useful bits of info have I missed out on?
Share yours and help make the world a better place.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I wouldn't trust the instrument panel on my Poxhall to tell me the truth about anything.
    • If you don't know where your fuel filler cap is you're too ignorant to be driving
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    Phil_aka_Pip;513702" said:
    I wouldn't trust the instrument panel on my Poxhall to tell me the truth about anything.If you don't know where your fuel filler cap is you're too ignorant to be driving
    I know where it is on my car but didn't know it told one on the dash board. A useful piece of info if you drive a lot of cars.

If you don't trust your cars readouts you shouldn't drive it ;).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Handy if in a rental car. (Yes you've checked it before driving off, but then you've forgotten, or you knew at the start of the holiday, but of course you only need to fill up on the last day.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    • If you don't know where your fuel filler cap is you're too ignorant to be driving

Or you are in a hire car.

Or you don't care because the hose reaches both sides of the car anyway.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11643
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ionian said:
    Phil_aka_Pip;513702" said:
    I wouldn't trust the instrument panel on my Poxhall to tell me the truth about anything.If you don't know where your fuel filler cap is you're too ignorant to be driving
    I know where it is on my car but didn't know it told one on the dash board. A useful piece of info if you drive a lot of cars.

If you don't trust your cars readouts you shouldn't drive it ;).

I don't think I need the instrument panel in order to drive it. Natch it helps if you're being watched to know what speed you're doing and it's nice to know if you've got enough fuel for your journey. Ever seen the speedo on a Morris Minor? Its like an analogue random number generator ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • only on Fords I think. Its defo not on our Peugeot or VW.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Put a pinch of sage in your boots, and all day long a spicy scent is your reward.

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72713
    Ionian said:
    This raises the interesting question - what other useful bits of info have I missed out on?
    That the hose will reach the opposite side if you pull it out a bit.

This can save a lot of time if you're in a queue of other people who don't realise that… although they usually don't like to see you doing it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • only on Fords I think. Its defo not on our Peugeot or VW.

Deffo on all VAG cars, FIAT too.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    only on Fords I think. Its defo not on our Peugeot or VW.

Female only cars?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    i can't imagine my mingin' old Land Rover has such fripperies.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• We use hire cars at work, and it's pretty common on most cars we get these days. Pretty handy really.
  • lloyd said:
    only on Fords I think. Its defo not on our Peugeot or VW.

Female only cars?
    Volkswagen Audi Group. ;-)  
  • s'not on my vw, but mine is quite old

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Deckers VW is also frequently on the back of AA trucks too.

Sometimes he still has petrol in it too.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Generally if fuel gauge is on left of dashboard, filler cap will be on left and vice versa.
  • Coming back from a Wales Ireland game a couple of years ago, we had hired a mini bus, and needed to fill up before returning it.
    We pulled into a supermarket petrol station about midnight, with a lot of pissed up ex sailors on board. The Driver pulled into right side for filler cap, but wrong side of the only pumps working at that time of the night. Instead of driving round again, the driver tried to reverse then go forward on right side. After hitting pump kerbs a few times, one of the lads opened the sliding side door to give driver advice on room. Unfortunately driver thought he knew better and revved it to go over kerb, but with door sticking out, it got caught on the pump and was ripped off taking out all the windows up side of mini bus and promptly fell onto floor. 
    At this time, my wife turned up to pick me up to see 3 Welshmen, 3 Irishmen and two Englishmen, staring at the door on the floor, when the driver said, "I suppose this means I am not gonna get my deposit back!"
    Never laughed so much in my life! Mrs was horrified
    =))
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Just checked.  My nineties Transit Tipper hasn't got one.  It does have this emergency system where it leans to one side should a wheel and half the cab rot off though, which is handy to know.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Generally if fuel gauge is on left of dashboard, filler cap will be on left and vice versa.
    One's Toyota's gauge is on't' right, filler on left. Arrow on dash in place. 

We live in a complex world! I do oft' giggle when waiting at forecourts and realise some folk do not actually know.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."