Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Life hacks - which side is my filler cap on.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17697
    tFB Trader
    only on Fords I think. Its defo not on our Peugeot or VW.

Deffo on all VAG cars, FIAT too.
    Nope cos it aint on my Audi or my Skoda. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    My Lotus has fillers on both sides.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    only on Fords I think. Its defo not on our Peugeot or VW.

Deffo on all VAG cars, FIAT too.
    Nope cos it aint on my Audi or my Skoda. 
    My Skoda fuel gauge says R instead of E at empty and the filler is on the right.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    My swift has it on the left. Don't think there's and indicator inside for it though.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My Hyundai hire car had it.

One thing I found out is that the filler is on the opposite side to the hose on the little pump icon.
    My V key is broken
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Someone at the end of the road I sort of live on (kind of on an adjoining street, but kind of not... complicated) has a hybrid car with a charging point... saw it facing one way plugged in, then saw it the other way... filler cap like thing on both sides! Witchcraft!

Took a few trips past it for me to realise this... also, they parked it in such a way that the electric filling point was furthest from the house to plug in - like they wanted to show off...

As for dash instruments telling me where to put fuel - nope. Doesn't even have a fuel guage. Does have a filler cap dead centre though so can't really miss it
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    ICBM said:
    Ionian said:
    This raises the interesting question - what other useful bits of info have I missed out on?
    That the hose will reach the opposite side if you pull it out a bit.

This can save a lot of time if you're in a queue of other people who don't realise that… although they usually don't like to see you doing it :).
    Or that if you reverse into the space your filler cap magically switches sides.....useful if the only available space is on the "wrong" side.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    What worries me about that is the Telegraph interprets it as 'repeatedly forgetting what side the cap is on' when she clearly can't work out that just driving round the thing keeps the driver side next to the pump. Makes you wonder how often that's happened.
  • In the olden days when petrol pumps were at the side of the road, the filler cap was always on the nearside of the car.

That's why cars designed in Japan and UK have the filler on the left and those designed in Europe and the USA have it on the right.

Similarly the exhaust is traditionally on the other side, away from the pavement and pedestrians.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom