How do I develop a practise routine?

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2434
edited February 2015 in Technique
Looking to go from just flicking through tabs on songsterrr only learning licks and riffs. 

Want to actually learn properly (scales etc.) 

But I don't know where to start?

iPad apps to help with this would also be a bonus :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    There are two sides to this: content (scales etc) and structure.

For structure I use timeboxing, which basically means applying a hard time limit to each activity.  I find it immensely motivating - it really takes the willpower element out of practise as well as providing a clear structure.

I use this web app for it at the moment: http://timeboxer.ericjorgensen.com/ ; but there are plenty options as apps, or just use a written list and an egg timer.

As for scales - start with the major scale: everything else is defined in relation to it so knowing it is like learning to read a map before going exploring.  This will also help with learning the notes of the fretboard, and learning intervals (practising the major scale in ascending intervals is extremely musical).
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited February 2015
    Divide your practice time in half. The first half is for new stuff. The second half is for stuff you've learned (in that you don't need to be looking at fingering diagrams, music notation or tab(spit) in order to do it, but you're not as agile at it or as polished as you'd like it to be).

Within each half. Arpeggios & scales 3 mins max at each, chord changes perhaps less. Sections of new tunes that are tricky.

At the end: reward yourself with a wig-out and play some stuff just because it's fun.

Speeding things up: always play it slowly so you can execute it cleanly before attempting speed. You are programming your motor system so do not program in mistakes! When you can do it right with your eyes shut, find the fastest speed you can do it without making a total mess. Then drop back by a few bpm to a speed which is faster than your previous habit but still allows clean execution. Tomorrow, push the boundary a bpm or two further, then drop back to slightly faster than yesterday.

Always use a metronome even for scales & arpeggios. Always listen to your sound. If it isn't that good, consider how your pick approaches the strings, how you fret the strings, or your control pot settings. Aim for the most pleasing & musical sound.

Plus what @mixolyd said :)

EDITED for typos
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Both of the above... also get your self something like a looper or garangeband /reaper with audio interface so that you can create some kind io backing track. I think practicing scales in context is key...
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited February 2015
    Cheers guys,

Any recommendations as far as books or apps I can use as a guide on what order to learn things in?

I have a couple already but am curious to see what else is out there :)

• kinkin Frets: 1015

just an idea, probably far to complicated to organise, but..

are there any guitar teachers or would be teachers ( who would like to test out their methods ) on the forum who would be prepared to set some sort of technique challenge on a ( time permitting ) reasonably regular basis , where players could submit videos/audio of their attempts for the tutor to critique?

Or it could be just someone showing how to play a particular passage or lick

There could be variations in difficulty/style etc.,

It could be good practice for the tutor in getting ideas across and a great resource for tight bastards like me who don't want to pay for lessons

;)
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    d8m said:
    Cheers guys,

Any recommendations as far as books or apps I can use as a guide on what order to learn things in?

lick library DVD. fretboard Navigation Volume 2 (Jamie Humphries) is brilliant for learning the major scale.
    Volume 1 Ithink is more about chords. imo Get them both if you can if not then Volume 2 is the one for you.

:)
  • manimani Frets: 10
    edited February 2015

d8m said:
    Cheers guys,

The Complete Guitarist & Guitar Handbook are good references for both beginner & advanced players, I still use mine for scale/chord references, check your local library if they have a copy.

• mani said:

The Complete Guitarist & Guitar Handbook are good references for both beginner & advanced players, I still use mine for scale/chord references, check your local library if they have a copy.

+1 for those. I have both. The latter is IMO more suited to beginners in terms of the way it explains stuff that beginners need to know (the former is not quite so beginner-friendly) and the latter contains advance stuff that the former doesn't. Both books are well done though. If I have a beef about the latter it tries to compare the structures of various scales all beginning on C, but doesn't make it totally clear that all those different scales are not necessarily in the key of C or derived from it. for example, C mixolydian is the 5th mode of F major and IMO belongs in a discussion of the key of F.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

My current routine (bear in mind I'm just trying to get back into a routine) is

15 mins finger exercises speed not a worry, but to a metronome.

15 mins scales, again speed not a worry, but to a metronome.

30-45 minutes of refreshing songs I've previously learnt/partially learnt.

Some time in the next couple of weeks the refreshing songs will be reduced to learning new stuff/working through some techniques books.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• There is some great advice in this discussion too, if you want to check it out...

• I have a real problem being motivated to learn new songs. Even the thought of being paid to play them hasn't stimulated me enough to play them outside of band practice. This would normally be a big problem to the rest of the band, except that the rest of them are doing the same as me - reading the chord charts.

We all need a kick up the jacksie. The bass player is from the Big Band tradition and he's used to reading the dots they put in front of him on the night. Its a skill I admire, but IMO it's one that perhaps shouldn't be relied upon in a pop covers band. I think we ought to be learning the stuff.
  • ReaGeorgeReaGeorge Frets: 13
    edited February 2015
    Looks like some good responses here, here's my two cents in video form :P

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wordywordy Frets: 67
    at the moment my practice schedule is split between working through three different books, and then a period of transcribing.

I have one book which more or less is teaching blues licks, another teaching major scale/chord tone soloing, and another dealing with blues rhythm playing (with which I'm using a looper, and then soloing over the top).  Then I do transcribing, using a Boss BR80 to slow down parts when I need to.

What I've noticed is that there's definitely a sweet spot where you're making the most progress, then a point where progress becomes so slow that you're MUCH better off moving on to something else.  It probably takes me 2-3 minutes to get into whatever I'm doing, then the next 25-30 mins is where the quickest progress seems to happen.  After that I move on to something else, and that seems to 'reset the clock' if you like.

The sweet spot I would guess changes depending on what you're practicing.  You wouldn't spend 30 mins practicing a chord change, but you might spend at least that learning a song for example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom