18v pedal powered with a Harley Benton Junior?

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
Is it possible to use two 9v outputs with the y cable to power an 18v pedal? Or am I being dumb.

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I thought that was why they supplied it?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Yes but you'll have to buy a y-cable or make your own. The yellow y-cable they supply is a 'parallel' cable for current doubling (still 9v). You will need a 'series' cable for voltage doubling (18v but the same current as a single output).

I can confirm that this will work ok as I do exactly this with my Award-Session JD10 and my HB PPJnr.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @steamabacus  many thanks. M
  • What about a Diago 18v adapter?

(I think I've still got one somewhere, I certainly used to have one and I don't recall selling it)

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Yeah, thanks for putting me straight mate. The supplied y cable is for 9v pedals that require more than the 120mA per output it supplies then?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

(I think I've still got one somewhere, I certainly used to have one and I don't recall selling it)

If I remember my physics correctly, I suspect that adapter will also result in a current drop, maybe even halving the current? The HB PP Jnr only has 120mA per output so that may possibly be a problem.

If I remember my physics correctly, I suspect that adapter will also result in a current drop, maybe even halving the current? The HB PP Jnr only has 120mA per output so that may possibly be a problem.
    Specs list it as being able to supply 30mA, so ideal for drive pedals but not much else.

I used to use it with a Catalinbread DLS Mk3 because PGS Andy told me it would sound better ;-)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    The Diago one is fine for drive pedals.  Will leave you an extra output spare as well.  I think I've got one or two of them lying around somewhere.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    The one they supply is a current-doubler, to let you use a 9v pedal (or daisychain) up to 240mA current.

You can buy a voltage-doubling Y-cable, which is different, to let you use an 18v pedal (or daisychain) up to 120mA current. Various companies make these; I think mine is T-Rex. I bought it from Thomann at the same time as the Powerstation Junior. They're about £6, but you just have to take the hit (or make your own). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    For clarity the Diago that I (and @steamabacus) have been talking about is not a Y cable.  It has some kind of charge pump arrangement that doubles the voltage so you can do 18V off a single output.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    Yes but you'll have to buy a y-cable or make your own. The yellow y-cable they supply is a 'parallel' cable for current doubling (still 9v). You will need a 'series' cable for voltage doubling (18v but the same current as a single output).
    Yeah. I recently got an 18V pedal, and luckily I thought, "I'd better check the manual, just in case." As you said, according to the manual it's a current doubler, not a voltage doubler.

I never got round to buying a voltage doubler cabler. :))