effects loop.

d8md8m Frets: 2434
I love my amps gain channel but it means I need to run my delay in the effects loop.

problem is then I have to sets of cables and pedal going into different places.

Any reason I couldnt run my ds-2 and tuner in my effects loop?

As in have my guitar straight into the amp then have my tuner, DS-2 and delay in the loop in that order.

Obviously wouldn't be tuning with the gain channel active.

Feel free to LOL if it is indeed a silly question :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not the DS-2. Overdrive and distortion pedals can cause issues in the loop. The tuner will be ok though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    The DS-2 will probably sound terrible in the loop and there's a (small, but real) chance it could damage the amp.

You're just going to have to get used to four cables.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I suppose I better get a couple of decent cables then :) 

Ideally not 5m long each.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'm not criticizing but I don't understand why people don't like to put delay straight into the amp's front end, it's always worked for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Sassafras said:

I'm not criticizing but I don't understand why people don't like to put delay straight into the amp's front end, it's always worked for me.
    How much gain do you use, and do you switch between clean and dirty channels on the amp?

If you use a lot of gain it can be very difficult to get the delay mix right, tends to muddy the sound unless you only use a tiny bit, and you can't then use the same delay setting on a clean sound or you won't hear the delay at all. Putting the delay in the loop fixes all that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    The DS-2 will probably sound terrible in the loop and there's a (small, but real) chance it could damage the amp.

Out of interest what could cause it to damage the amp if it's in the loop? 

I ran my ds-2 on max gain into the front of the amp whilst it was on gain channel to see what it sounded like.I haven't risked damaging the amp doing that have I?

I was also think about putting a bad monkey or screamin Blues in the effects loop to use as a boost but I'm guessing these should run in the front of the amp to?

Thanks for your help :)

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited February 2015

An OD or Distortion, even full up won't damage the amp into the front end.

Put in the loop they can get the amp to fry itself* internally.

Delay sounds good in the loop, especially, as has been said, if you're using clean and dirty channels and a lot of gain.

clean/slightly crunchy the delay can sound good in front.

As for using 4 cables, I put the pedals in the loop to the left of the board, and those into the front to the right.

*technical term.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited February 2015
    I could do with keeping the pedals close together as I've only got one Diago daisy chain.
    =))

Eventually I will buy an isolated power supply!

I think I'll just pick up a couple of decent cables that are a sensible length with one right angles end.

That way they will sit on the pedalboard just like patch cables :)

• You might get some hum if you daisy chain the pedals in the loop and upfront together.

However the DS-2 will last for ages with a battery.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    Non isolated power supply powering both loop and front pedals can be a nightmare.

A big hissy hummy pedal switch clicking / popping nightmare.

I once ran 2 separate One-Spots which helped a little, but it was far better to bite the bullet and just get an isolated supply and have done with it.
    Roll on pay day I guess.

Can always sell my diago on for a few quid at least :)

Any recommendations for a psu?

I was looking at the t-Rex fuel tank a while ago.

• d8m said:
    ICBM said:

Out of interest what could cause it to damage the amp if it's in the loop? 

I ran my ds-2 on max gain into the front of the amp whilst it was on gain channel to see what it sounded like.I haven't risked damaging the amp doing that have I?

I was also think about putting a bad monkey or screamin Blues in the effects loop to use as a boost but I'm guessing these should run in the front of the amp to?

Thanks for your help :)
    If I remember @ICBM 's explanation correctly, there is the possibility (not every amp, but a very real risk none the less) of the amp going into self-oscillation but in a frequency outside normal hearing range. You won't hear it, but the amp will be slowly frying itself.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:

How much gain do you use, and do you switch between clean and dirty channels on the amp?

If you use a lot of gain it can be very difficult to get the delay mix right, tends to muddy the sound unless you only use a tiny bit, and you can't then use the same delay setting on a clean sound or you won't hear the delay at all. Putting the delay in the loop fixes all that.

That would explain it. I hardly ever use high amp gain, all my gain comes from pedals, I find it easier to control that way. The highest gain I use is a Fuzz Face and even then rarely. And I don't usually use great gobs of delay, just enough to thicken up my sound.
    I just prefer the edge of break up sounds. They seem to work best for me.