DIY top replacement (started off intending to be a neck reset) * Now finished and playable again :)

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16866

it will change a lot over the next few months, you should find the tone improves a bit as it settles in

I bet that was a lot easier than you expected when I first suggested a DIY top replacement

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 915
    edited April 2015
    Thanks @WezV.  It was certainly pretty doable even with minimal tools and woodworking experience.  And if I'd left the binding off and not bothered taking all the old varnish off it would have been much quicker.

The important thing is that it can now be tuned up to full pitch without folding itself in half, which was the original problem I was trying to fix.  The fact that I've had a go at lots of stuff I've never tried before along the way and ended up with a cool unusual finish as well is just a bonus.  Would have been boring (though a lot quicker!) if I'd just scrapped it and bought another 12-string.

And it didn't cost me too much in the end.  Roughly...
    Wood for top £20 (came with a back blank as well)
    Wood for bracing and bridge plate £25
    Threaded bar for spool clamps £5
    Ink for staining £5 (but loads left)
    Saddle £5
    EDIT: Binding strip £1.50

So about £60 minus whatever I can get back when I sell the back blank.  And the threaded rod doesn't really count because I use that for other things anyway.  I could have saved loads on the bracing wood if I'd just bought a block, but I wasn't sure about cutting it up straight enough with a hand saw (although in hindsight it was very easy to work with a plane so I reckon I could have got away with the block after all).

If I'd bought another 12-string I'd probably have spent in the region of £200-£300, and this one is now easily good enough for my fairly infrequent 12-string usage.  I'll take it to our recording session at the weekend and see what it sounds like - I can always borrow one if necessary, but if I can get a good enough sound from my DIY effort it would be cool.

In short, I'm quite happy with the outcome :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Well done, @DartmoorHedgehog :) Looks really good and great that it has made it playable.... Full build next??? Andy
  • Full build next???
    Probably not, at least for a long time - I've got too many other things that need doing at the moment.
    If I do ever build a whole guitar it's unlikely to be an acoustic anyway - probably something Telecastery.
  • I set the neck relief last night and tuned up.  It's still perfectly in tune tonight even after playing it for half an hour or so, which is something that would never have happened before.  Seems really stable.  And either by complete beginner's luck or through extra-paranoid measuring the intonation is absolutely spot on all the way up on all strings - better than my other acoustic in fact.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    I set the neck relief last night and tuned up.  It's still perfectly in tune tonight even after playing it for half an hour or so, which is something that would never have happened before.  Seems really stable.  And either by complete beginner's luck or through extra-paranoid measuring the intonation is absolutely spot on all the way up on all strings - better than my other acoustic in fact.

I would call that a result! =D>
  • Quick update.  I sold the spare wood on ebay for £15, so after fees I'll end up with about £13 or so.  So the top cost me £7 - bargain :)