Question re Outboard Reverb Tanks and placement in FX chain.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30941
edited February 2015 in FX
I'm talking to @tugwell re his sexy Reverb Tank.

my question is this; placement.

Now bear in mind I have 2 amps, off a Cornish swticher, would it be better BEFORE the switcher (after my delays) into BOTH amps, or after the switcher into only one amp?

Bear in mind having before the switcher would mean some long cable runs too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72545
    Before everything.

Neil Young does that, so it must be right :).

Into one amp will give you pseudo 'stereo reverb', so it might sound good. On the other hand if you leave a lot of gaps in your playing it might sound odd to only have reverb on one amp, since as the reverb decays the sound will seem to pan to one side and then back to the middle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    ICBM said:
    Before everything.

Neil Young does that, so it must be right :).

Into one amp will give you pseudo 'stereo reverb', so it might sound good. On the other hand if you leave a lot of gaps in your playing it might sound odd to only have reverb on one amp, since as the reverb decays the sound will seem to pan to one side and then back to the middle.
    Not sure I quite get that? If I put before the Cornish ABC it'll only be a split mono signal?

Are you using it only to switch, or to run both amps at the same time? If you run both at the same time, reverb on one and not on the other gives a pseudo-stereo effect.

If you switch, you won't get reverb on one amp. Is that what you want? eg some people like reverb on clean but not on overdrive.

I like reverb on everything all the time… but then I do like Neil Young ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    Me too...although I can ape NY with delay.

By the way:

Young does, however, use a range of pedals and devices to create effects sounds in and of themselves. He relies heavily on a particular vintage Fender tube reverb unit, which is set up with a separate spring pan mounted to the top of a microphone stand that is anchored on the cement floor below the stage he is playing on (often with a hole drilled through the floor to bring springs and tube-reverb chassis close enough together!). The convoluted arrangement is undertaken in order to avoid the disruptive, wet “sproing” sound that ensues when you stomp on a stage with a lively spring reverb unit sitting on it. Young also makes use of an analog delay, an octave divider, a flanger, and a digital delay.

• It's a common misconception that Neil Young uses reverb.  It is in fact the sound of his amp bouncing back off the enormous stage fans he has to make his hair go all wild and floaty.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    His hair looks all wild and floaty because he is sweeping, God-like through the venue, smiting nay-sayers.
    Not God-like - Neil actually is God.

He's the only* player who can play a note completely out of tune and time and the rest of the universe shifts itself into alignment around it so it sounds right.

(*living - Hendrix had that ability as well.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    ICBM said:
    He's the only* player who can play a note completely out of tune and time and the rest of the universe shifts itself into alignment around it so it sounds right.

(*living - Hendrix had that ability as well.)
    That's a great way of putting it. 

I love Neil Young :)

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    An old man from the olden days who plays a knackered old Les Paul gold top that's had a dodgy refin in black.

:p

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Ah. Thanks. I thought he was the main protagonist in the Young Ones.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have 4 amps in my music room. I have a Fender reverb unit and have monkeyed about with various splitters and wet, dry, wet rigs. I think I like the reverb on one amp for cleans and delay on the dirty amps the most. The spring unit on one amp and a reverb pedal on another can give some interesting variations......... Neil Young rules!!!!M