Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So these 2015 Gibsons with that logo....

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2930

I had to Google what all the fuss is about.

Some people need to get a grip.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Bidley said:

I had to Google what all the fuss is about.

Some people need to get a grip.

Purple then???
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    rlw said:
    ICBM said:
    hobbio said:
    ICBM said:
    I just don't like new for the sake of it when the new thing does not offer a genuine improvement
    But the g-force system does offer a genuine improvement, it allows automatic tuning of the guitar to various different tunings.
    I accept that is useful to some players, in the same way as the ability to use the trem to extremes and have it come back perfectly in tune is useful to Floyd Rose users.

Should all guitars have Floyd Roses? Of course not. They have other major disadvantages for players who don't need or want that ability.

I'm all for automatic tuning systems as an option for players who want it. But as a standard fitting for anyone who doesn't need it - no, because it adds cost, unreliability and potential built-in obsolescence.
    At least if the G-Force does fail and you can't get the bits you can go manual so the instrument will still work.

And despite my enthusiasm for it, it does seem to disagree with my Korg Pitchblack a little which is amusing if nothing else.

I do agree that the some of the new bits could be judged unnecessary - a bit like rain sensing wipers and lights that come on when it gets dark (both of which I poo-pooed but now use without a thought) - but a logo??????????  Its an anniversary and a big one so it kind of makes sense.

Lol, tell that to the guy who bought a new 2014 LP with mini tune and it died, it wouldn't let him tune it manually:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited February 2015
    Honestly if tokai, Ibanez or even fender had come up with the tuners they'd be seen as a company trying to use technology to help guitarists. I think anything Gibson does is seen as bad, doesn't matter if it's trying something new or staying the same, it will always be moaned about.

I'd love to have seen the reaction to the explorer and flying v when they were first unveiled.

@RaymondLin is that the one where the internal gears of a tuner jammed up? So the system didn't die, the internal parts were or got damaged, and again the parts not made by Gibson but a third party. At best that's a QC issue at the manufacturer.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    rlw said:
    ICBM said:
    hobbio said:
    ICBM said:
    I just don't like new for the sake of it when the new thing does not offer a genuine improvement
    But the g-force system does offer a genuine improvement, it allows automatic tuning of the guitar to various different tunings.
    I accept that is useful to some players, in the same way as the ability to use the trem to extremes and have it come back perfectly in tune is useful to Floyd Rose users.

Should all guitars have Floyd Roses? Of course not. They have other major disadvantages for players who don't need or want that ability.

I'm all for automatic tuning systems as an option for players who want it. But as a standard fitting for anyone who doesn't need it - no, because it adds cost, unreliability and potential built-in obsolescence.
    At least if the G-Force does fail and you can't get the bits you can go manual so the instrument will still work.

And despite my enthusiasm for it, it does seem to disagree with my Korg Pitchblack a little which is amusing if nothing else.

I do agree that the some of the new bits could be judged unnecessary - a bit like rain sensing wipers and lights that come on when it gets dark (both of which I poo-pooed but now use without a thought) - but a logo??????????  Its an anniversary and a big one so it kind of makes sense.

Lol, tell that to the guy who bought a new 2014 LP with mini tune and it died, it wouldn't let him tune it manually:
    I though the min-etune didn't prevent manual tuning? 

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    It does if the mechanism breaks.

You don't have to be a Luddite to be worried about that if you play gigs with one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Regular tuners can break too.

I agree that they should give the option to have standard tuners though, but I think it should be that way round. G-force as standard unless you specify it without.

I'd love a set for my Epi, and if I ever get a Gibson I'd pick one that has them if at all possible.

Obviously, this opinion might change once the reports of them spontaneously combusting come to light :D

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited February 2015
    That would be me... Yes it just completely jammed. Couldn't play the guitar for a week.
    edited February 2015
    Furry muff, that'd piss me off too.

I still want it and stand by that though :D

• G force is here to stay. It's a brilliant system.. ok if you live in standard tuning it may not be for you i like to jump between open e, eb, and standard and it's very quick and reliable. I am impressed with the min etune system and imagine the g force system is even better
  • I could live with the crap logo, the robot tuners, the weird nut. What I'm struggling with is the 2.5k price tag for a Standard! With all the other options out there at that price (and below actually) I don't think I can justify it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The prices are insane. Same price you can get a new r8 vos. However 2015 studios are remarkably good value for money
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    rlw said:
    ICBM said:
    hobbio said:
    ICBM said:

I mean't that at the end of the day, if the G-Force broke and you couldn't get new parts, you could fit manual tuners so the guitar would not be obsolete through mechanical failure.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    rlw said:
    ICBM said:
    hobbio said:
    ICBM said:

I mean't that at the end of the day, if the G-Force broke and you couldn't get new parts, you could fit manual tuners so the guitar would not be obsolete through mechanical failure.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited February 2015

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited February 2015
    hobbio said:
    Regular tuners can break too.

I agree that they should give the option to have standard tuners though, but I think it should be that way round. G-force as standard unless you specify it without.

To me that's exactly what they should do...maybe release some like the 2014 ones ie regular logo n tuners etc...and then release 50% in the new format...and let the buying customers decide where they put their money. I think Gibson might learn something there that is indisputable...proper market research ah tells thee!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The 12th fret inlays of the 2014 models were worse
    I don't get the hate for the inlays...I'd probably prefer a normal inlay but I kind of quite like it - celebrating the 120th anniversary is kind of cool. It certainly doesn't bother me as much as the kids doodle on the 2015 headstock - the Les Paul script is iconic FFS. Completely mental not to use it.
  • hobbio said:

I'm a bit unsure on the Min-Etune, having used it for a while. I'm not sure it is tuning terribly accurately. I haven't checked it properly...it just never sounds quite right. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    gearaddict;526411" said:
    hobbio said:

I'm a bit unsure on the Min-Etune, having used it for a while. I'm not sure it is tuning terribly accurately. I haven't checked it properly...it just never sounds quite right. 
    There is a way to set it up to tune to your ear (or a tuner) so it does sound in tune.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31614
    hobbio said:

I've never used one, but I'm sure I read that it you can set it to different accuracy levels, which affects how quickly it comes up to pitch?