Saudi cleric tells students 'Earth does not rotate'

What's Hot
A Saudi cleric has claimed that the Earth does not rotate, and that the Sun orbits the Earth.

Sheikh Bandar al-Khaibari, answering questions from students at a university in the United Arab Emirates on Sunday, told his audience the Earth is "stationary and does not move".

To prove his point, Mr Khaibari launched into a convoluted effort to explain his theory using the example of an airplane flying to China.

"If we leave Sharjah airport on an international flight to China... the Earth is rotating, right?" he asked sarcastically. "So, if the plane stops still on air, wouldn't China be coming towards it? True or not?"

"If the Earth rotates on the other direction, the plane will not be able to reach China, because China is also rotating as the plane rotates."

So we now have Sharia science ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Can't argue with that logic, where do I sign up?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• :-O
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    lloyd said:
    Can't argue with that logic, where do I sign up?
    Unfortunately you won't be alone .. IS will now execute anyone who thinks the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Religious Fruitcakes R Us.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2015
    Suck it up dickheads. The earth rotates and in 12 hours time your gonna be breathing western air.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    12reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I suspect that he also thinks that the world revolves around him
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited February 2015
    Suck it up dickheads. The earth rotates and in 12 hours time your gonna be breathing western air.
    in which I have farted ;)

edit after eating pork :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    What's sad about this is that the Islamic faith, back in the day progressed science a great deal and were world leaders in the field. This guy here is a moron- nothing to do with religion, he is just a straight up moron
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • thorpy6 said:
    What's sad about this is that the Islamic faith, back in the day progressed science a great deal and were world leaders in the field. This guy here is a moron- nothing to do with religion, he is just a straight up moron
    I came here to say the same thing. Thinking Mr Khaibari is outside his field of expertise here...
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Nice demonstration that there are idiots of all beliefs. It's always been a university debating society favourite in this country to invite along a raving nutter to speak every so often, don't know if it's the same elsewhere. (Cambridge Union nearly had Abu Hamza at one point.)
    Anyone else's first thought, "He's even got the direction of rotation wrong."?
  • thorpy6 said:
    I wonder if the progress that the arabic world made at that time - in algebra especially (the name is derived from an arabic source) was in spite of not because of the dominant religion? Galileo made his discoveries in spite of the Roman Catholic church.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Don't mention Darwinian evolution in Middle America!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ESchap said:
    Don't mention Darwinian evolution in Middle America!
    A prospective candidate for the US Presidency was interviewed on Newsnight last week .. an impressive black doctor who spoke well, had some good ideas right up until he said 'I don't believe in evolution' .. he's in the running for a nomination for the top job. He's probably a creationist.

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited February 2015
    I can't help thinking that somewhere along the timeline, these fruit-loafs missed out the scientific revolution.  Which is problematic, when the Islamic transmission of such knowledge defined the start of modern day science and medicine ?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72937
    He should probably read this, and the sources referenced in it…

I suspect a lot of it may be above his level of understanding though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I'm more amazed at the fact that we've had to wait until some foreign crackpot pitches up with this kind of guff, and yet Sambostar's never once mentioned it before.

Weird.

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I wonder if he uses moon cheese on his sandwiches as well
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    The scary thing is that some IS nutter will now use this as a reason to attack students / scientists etc.

I'm a pretty tolerant person, I think, but I'm finding it harder and harder to see how we deal with these arseholes without resorting to carpet-bombing them.

And yes, I know that makes me a bad person. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Chuffola;526144" said:
    The scary thing is that some IS nutter will now use this as a reason to attack students / scientists etc.

I'm a pretty tolerant person, I think, but I'm finding it harder and harder to see how we deal with these arseholes without resorting to carpet-bombing them.

And yes, I know that makes me a bad person. 
    No Chuff it doesn't.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11408
    I'll see if I can find the video of the Saudi cleric saying that women shouldn't drive because if the car breaks down they are in danger of being raped.

His solution - allow foreign women drivers. Because, presumably...
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    scrumhalf said:
    I'll see if I can find the video of the Saudi cleric saying that women shouldn't drive because if the car breaks down they are in danger of being raped.

His solution - allow foreign women drivers. Because, presumably...
    ....they won't drive French cars that will break down?   ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."