Saudi cleric tells students 'Earth does not rotate'

What's Hot

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Allahu  Akbar
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Buy guys, he has FAITH. You've got to respect that.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Chuffola said:
    The scary thing is that some IS nutter will now use this as a reason to attack students / scientists etc.
    I doubt that, IS seem to be pretty much a death cult anyway, reasons are beneath them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I just don't have the words.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    this is utter shite..
    when I flew to Texas, the plane floated perfectly still for 9 hours whilst the earth rotated under us until I got there..
    play every note as if it were your first
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've just found this btw, which is semi-related and well worth reading.

Bucket said:

"Graeme Wood March 2015"! Pay attention to this man because he is writing to us FROM THE FUTURE!
    imalone said:
    Bucket said:

"Graeme Wood March 2015"! Pay attention to this man because he is writing to us FROM THE FUTURE!
    Didn't even see that :D

I've just finally got to the end, it's an excellent article which I learned a lot from.
    edited February 2015
    Bucket said:
    imalone said:
    Bucket said:

Didn't even see that :D

I've just finally got to the end, it's an excellent article which I learned a lot from.
    Yes, interesting read. I just wish he'd included the lottery numbers.

Edit: While it's now hard to find anything out about Bandar al-Khaibari other than rewrites of this story, the thing appears to have started off as an arabic hashtag, evidence there are still people in the middle east with sense. What I can't find (in two minutes of searching) is anything about whether he's particularly extremist on any other issue or just has a lot to discuss with people who think the moon landings didn't happen or relativity is wrong.

Edit 2: in trying to research this I have stumbled onto a thread of people discussing whether Barrack Obama is actually his father's son or instead the son of some paedophile. Except of course they call him "obammy". Am reminded we are monkeys with shoes. (well, apes)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12068
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Bet he thinks the ice cream man only plays music when they have run out of ice cream.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Technically if you take the earth as the frame of reference he is correct in saying that everything revolves around it. It's all relative to the observer.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    imalone said:
    What I can't find... [is] whether he's particularly extremist on any other issue or just has a lot to discuss with people who think the moon landings didn't happen or relativity is wrong.
    I think that's a good point.  There are plenty of people who are not extremist "haters" but who happen to be scientifically ignorant to a degree which.... which I just can't get my head around.

You hear them on late night phone in programs.  It's 2am and they emerge.  Most of them seem to have a religious ideology, usually Muslim or Christian but those are the dominant ones).  And the others seem to have an "anti-science" ideology.

It's fascinating because it highlights how our reality can be entirely constructed out of thin air, and of course you kind of reflect how much of what you take to be true yourself could be similarly flawed.  How would you know?  People in the grip of dogmatic beliefs and ideology just don't know that they're deluded.  And then you start to ponder the little beliefs you've got which don't make sense (why do I keep on doing that fear of spiders?  Not the fucking Aussie bastards, just little house spiders).  But yeah, static earth, creationism, alien abductions, and phobias -- all weird stuff innit.

(Obviously I think scientific methodology gives us the best way yet of getting at reality; just saying.)
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited February 2015
    Maynehead said:
    Technically if you take the earth as the frame of reference he is correct in saying that everything revolves around it. It's all relative to the observer

Yeah I'm sure that's what he meant to say

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Col_Decker;526885" said:
    Technically if you take the earth as the frame of reference he is correct in saying that everything revolves around it. It's all relative to the observer.  Yeah I'm sure that's what he meant to say
    I thought the world revolved around Axl Rose?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    d8m said:
    Col_Decker;526885" said:
    Technically if you take the earth as the frame of reference he is correct in saying that everything revolves around it. It's all relative to the observer.  Yeah I'm sure that's what he meant to say
    These days its Kanye West ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited February 2015
    Fretwired said:
    d8m said:
    Col_Decker;526885" said:
    These days its Kanye West ..
    Hey man, he is a creative genius you know!!!

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That was part of my reaction to it, though I decided while reading that it was more subtle than that. It does give interesting insight into the mindset behind IS though.

As to our stationary earth friend, it occurred to me last night that ironically jet streams are pretty much what he's talking about with his plane example (except they're localised and go to opposite way you'd naively expect because they arise out of a combination of mechanisms, one of which is the coriolis effect).
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    In all fairness, none of us on Fretboard can prove him wrong.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2015
    "If the earth truly rotated then surely the mountain would have come to Mohammed?  Simple innit?"
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom