Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Help with my Drive section

What's Hot
joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
As yee may or may not have seen, I am in the process of selling all my gear to fund new stuff, for no other reason that I fancied a change!  I've got an idea for most sections but I'm struggling with my drive hunt. 

I need a low gain and heavier gain which stack well together.  I play anything from blues, classic rock and modern stuffs (biffy/Jimmy Eat World/Killers etc...) and the variety is making it hard.

My main guitar is a Parker P44 (although a Fender Strat and LP feature a lot).  They are played through a Fender Deville 2x12.

So far I'm thinking a Bogner Red for my heavier needs, but I'm stuck on light drives, so any thoughts on:

XTS Imperial Overdrive
Analogman POT
Something by Providence/Free the Tone
Timmy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Not tried any of those, aside from a timmy clone I had. I will chuck a recommendation in however, my favourite low gainer is the blue note OD. It's voiced pretty transparent, but there is a fat knob that will boost the lower mids to "fatten" your tone. And there may be one in the classified somewhere (not mine)..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Tube Screamer or similar into a Boss DS-1.

I find this to give me pretty much anything. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    MattFGBI said:
    Tube Screamer or similar into a Boss DS-1.

I find this to give me pretty much anything. 
    I used a TS for a long time, wasn't the biggest fan, but thanks for the suggestion
    I also used a Keeley DS1 which is a great pedal!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1751

EHX Soul Food > Boss DS-1 > Boss SD-1.

Simple, cheap, effective.

The more drive pedals i own, buy,use the more i keep returning to my SD1 and DS-1. I could have saved thousands over the years by just listening to my ears rather than lusting after plenty of different overdrives

• BradBrad Frets: 662
    +1 for the Rockett Blue Note. Excellent pedal for low/mid - gain stuff. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Sub Decay Liquid Sunshine.

Said it for you Monquixote!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17656
    edited February 2015 tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    Sub Decay Liquid Sunshine.

Said it for you Monquixote!
    Hey don't muscle in on my territory, they might not give me my commission now!

Seriously though it's the biz. 

The Bogner Red is excellent. I also rate the Riot as a high gainer, as well as the Shredmaster/Son of Hyde (It's a clone).

A superb pairing is the MXR Badass OD and Super Badass. They are designed to work well together and sound vast when stacked.
  • The Boss OD1X is really great.  The SD-1 Waza sounds good too, although I haven't played it.  

MXR Badass Custom OD is another nice overdrive I really like.  
  • photekphotek Frets: 1465
    Get a BMF El Jefe and tell me if it is good as folk say ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Shouldn't you be sodderin ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17656
    tFB Trader
    The Boss OD1X is really great.  The SD-1 Waza sounds good too, although I haven't played it.  

MXR Badass Custom OD is another nice overdrive I really like.  
    The OD-1X is really cool especially if you play down tuned.
  • I would think a Nobels ODR1 and a RAT would give you a lot of what you want
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    ^ The Rat is a hell of a lot more versatile than just 'distortion' would suggest. Everything from clean to scream.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 610
    edited February 2015
    joeyowen said:
    As yee may or may not have seen, I am in the process of selling all my gear to fund new stuff, for no other reason that I fancied a change!  I've got an idea for most sections but I'm struggling with my drive hunt. 

I need a low gain and heavier gain which stack well together.  I play anything from blues, classic rock and modern stuffs (biffy/Jimmy Eat World/Killers etc...) and the variety is making it hard.

My main guitar is a Parker P44 (although a Fender Strat and LP feature a lot).  They are played through a Fender Deville 2x12.

So far I'm thinking a Bogner Red for my heavier needs, but I'm stuck on light drives, so any thoughts on:

XTS Imperial Overdrive
    Analogman POT
    Something by Providence/Free the Tone
    Timmy

Admittedly, I have one for sale but you might want to have a look at the Tech21 Double Drive.

It basically gives you a Vox style drive or a Fender/ Marshall style with the ability to run one into the other giving a huge range from light break up to full on drive. It's very dynamic too, reacting well to guitar volume and picking strength. The two drives can be cascaded into each other for "stacking". I play in a covers band and used this for most of my basic drive sounds as it is so flexible. Here's what Tech21 say about it:

"DRIVE A controls the amount of Class A power amp output stage distortion (like Vox AC30®-style amp), rich in even harmonics. The amount of harmonics is dynamically controlled by the input level and their ratio by how hard you pick. DRIVE A/B controls the amount of Class A/B power amp output stage distortion (like Fender®/Marshall®-style amps), rich in odd harmonics."

I'm selling the now discontinued original, not the x3 which has presets. PM me if you're interested.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    OCD

It has a wide range of gain so it does higher gain as well but I really like it for lower gain stuff.  For the lower gain stuff it can help running it at 12 or 18V.
  • LewisWLewisW Frets: 17
    I currently run a JHS Morning Glory into a This1sMyne The Pearl and have found they stack very nicely. (I play a musicman jp6 into a mesa f30 clean channel, flat eq).

The morning glory is a transparent drive in the blue breaker vein... kinda just takes everything I've thrown at it and every time makes the low gain stuff sound great. It can do a good 'thumping' rythm tone for the chords (but never overbearing) and has a cool cut when you need it to.

The pearl's right side is (I think) voiced similar to the morning glory but more gain, a prescence and shine knob (I roll these off a certain amount, clarity is still good) - but stacked with the MG its a really great mid/higher gain tone. The left side is a tubescreamer with loads of headroom, can go fuzzy via clipping switches or be tamed and used to stack either the right side or MG.

Personally.. for a single coil sound, I choose middle position, tone at around 25%, hit the TS side of the pearl... bit of reverb... MG to boost into a gainer side. For just an all out lead tone, bridge/neck - all 3 parts of the pedals on, verb/delay in the loop and for me its just a great clear marshall sounding tone.

another option could be ... a JHS double barrel, its a morning glory into a tubescreamer.. and you can change the order.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    photek said:
    Get a BMF El Jefe and tell me if it is good as folk say ;)

You haven't had one? Must be the only one.............

You could do a *lot* worse than the Hardwire Tube overdrive and Tube Distortion for a pair of drive pedals.

For the low-mid gains MXR do some nice drives. The Distortion3 and/or Custom Badass distortions are excellent low-mid gain pedals.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5178
    Bit of a curveball but I love my Palmer Solid metal to bits! Love it for AC/DC, Gary Moore and loads more beyond and it's cheap as chips :)
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, so far we have:

TS - Used one before, I guess not for me
    DS1 - Used one before, I guess not for me
    SD1 - Used one before, I guess not for me
    Soul Food - Tempting, but I'd most likely get an Arc Effects or Archer :D
    Timmy - Tempting as well, seem to be the must have over at TGP
    Blue Note - Not actually heard this pedal, so will check it out cheers :)
    Riot - Love the sounds this pedal can get, not sure if it is versatile enough though
    Liquid Sunshine - Will check it out
    Badass OD - Sounded ok, but heard that it can sound fizzy (at TGP)
    Nobels ODr1 - Love the sound, the XTS imperial is an improved version supposedly
    Rat - The rat model on the M13 sounded good, but there are sooooo many difference versions
    Crowther Hotcake - The gigRig demo of the Radiohead board made this sound great, and I was tempted for a while
    Tech21 double drive - Never heard it, will check it out :)
    OCD - Like the hotcake, I've heard good things and was tempted for a while (must have been skint at the time)
    JHS Morning Glory - I like what i've heard from JHS, so I'll listen to some demos
    The Pearl - I like the guys stuff, but his general attitude really puts me off... Someone said their overdrive was making noise when he wasn't playing, so he replied with, well turn it off then.  He then bragged about said reply on Facebook....
    Palmer Solid metal - Haven't heard, so will check it out!

Thanks for the suggestions :D some great stuff to listen to here