Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Heads Up- Klon KTR's £249 at CCGX

What's Hot

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited February 2015
    GavHaus said:
    juansolo said:
    GavHaus said:
    I drive a citroen C4.... I clearly made some ill advised life choices by comparison to you lot!
    You can have a Porsche for less than the cost of a Mondeo. Likewise a Bentley (nice looking Mulsanne up for £10k at the moment) or anything like that. Just don't get caught up thinking that cars have to be new to be good/reliable. They really don't. I have a 22 year old Mercedes 190E as my daily driver.

I have a <1 yr old
    thats what the boot is for 

Not mine (the kid) I'll add, lad across the road thought he'd see whether his fit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274

juansolo said:

@thecount I bet you wished you'd kept it. 993 prices are mental now. I was looking at one when I got my Cayman. £5k less too. Really gone the other way now with the Cayman probably worth the best part of £15k and the 993 would be around £25-30k. Also, IMO, the 993 C2, best 911 of all time. Should have bought it... Shame I'm not as invested in having the engine hang over the back wheels.
    Sold it in 2006, need to buy a house. Got 18k for it

Don't worry about the engine being in the wrong place, if you drive them like your pants are on fire it's ok. It's when you drive them like a normal car it'll get you in trouble

Saying that, the only place these things really work well or can be driven how they are supposed to be is on a track, they're just too fast for the roads these days, and the one I had wasn't really that quick by todays standards
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2015
    TheCount said:

juansolo said:

@thecount I bet you wished you'd kept it. 993 prices are mental now. I was looking at one when I got my Cayman. £5k less too. Really gone the other way now with the Cayman probably worth the best part of £15k and the 993 would be around £25-30k. Also, IMO, the 993 C2, best 911 of all time. Should have bought it... Shame I'm not as invested in having the engine hang over the back wheels.

Don't worry about the engine being in the wrong place, if you drive them like your pants are on fire it's ok. It's when you drive them like a normal car it'll get you in trouble

Saying that, the only place these things really work well or can be driven how they are supposed to be is on a track, they're just too fast for the roads these days, and the one I had wasn't really that quick by todays standards
    Yeah, that's the problem with an awful lot of cars these days. Way too capable. I think the golden age was when the GTi was king.

Drove my brother's (yes, he has a lot of cars) Mk1 MX5 the other month and absolutely loved it. Skinny 185 tyres, barely enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding... Yet so much fun to drive. In a lot of respects, more fun than the Porsche.
    Exactly. I think you can have a lot more fun in an underpowered car than something really quick. Skinnier tyres breakaway at lower speeds gives you more time to correct it, and that's where the fun is, to me. The fast ones don't go until much faster and they go very quickly. 

My ideal car these days for playing around in would be a little lotus/caterham, no bigger than 2 litre maybe around 160bhp. I think you could have a lot of fun in something like that and not kill yourself in the process

• TheCount said:
    Exactly. I think you can have a lot more fun in an underpowered car than something really quick. Skinnier tyres breakaway at lower speeds gives you more time to correct it, and that's where the fun is, to me. The fast ones don't go until much faster and they go very quickly. 

My ideal car these days for playing around in would be a little lotus/caterham, no bigger than 2 litre maybe around 160bhp. I think you could have a lot of fun in something like that and not kill yourself in the process

obvious this is at the other end of the spectrum but I love my 530i for how much it likes to play when the mood takes you. 
    Its quite poised for an ocean liner sized vehicle. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • juansolo;528385" said:
    TheCount said:

juansolo said:

Yeah, that's the problem with an awful lot of cars these days. Way too capable. I think the golden age was when the GTi was king.

Drove my brother's (yes, he has a lot of cars) Mk1 MX5 the other month and absolutely loved it. Skinny 185 tyres, barely enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding... Yet so much fun to drive. In a lot of respects, more fun than the Porsche.
    One of the things I love about mx5s is they're so *right* - they've never reinvented them, because the original was great - they just tweak it a little with each revision.

I've driven a mark two and a brand new one, not in anger, but both were really nice, fun cars that are good looking and make you feel good. Can't ask for much more than that really.
  • I cant fit in an MX5 all that well :-(

I only drove an auto version as well :-(

I think fun can be had in almost any car. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • @juansolo - That clips sounds great, but I can imagine it's amazing in real life. I still think I'd rather the 3.4s, I found the 2.7 a little low on torque, but I admit I had a Saab 9-5 2.3 Aero before it which makes most cars seem low on torque :-) I'll have to try and dig out a pic of the Cayman later, was a beauty.

@meltedbuzzbox - Which 530i? Is it the E39? I had a 523i with the sports suspension and 8 series split rims, couldn't get over how well that car handled for it's size. Still my favourite car so far, though it could use more power.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Re Vws....I had a Corrado VR6 when they first came out....amazing car for the time

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• @thisisguitar its an E60 but from what I gather its an E39 in a new frock with iDrive
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Have I logged onto the wrong forum?
    I was trying to log onto the fretboard but seem to have been redirected to the Porsche Owners forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Gutshot

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuck Klons, I have keys to a Cayman S sitting on my kitchen table at the moment and the owner out of the country for a fortnight... :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    meltedbuzzbox;528437" said:

I think fun can be had in almost any car. 
    I've certainly seen video evidence of this
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    My favourite thing about this thread is the contextual irony of @Gassage 's signature. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    You can have fun outside the car too if dogging's your thing.
    TheCount said:
    Gutshot

I've been around Zandvoort circuit in one of those (passenger seat). Lovely noise. Seemed oddly refined after what I'd been driving.
    @juansolo - That clips sounds great, but I can imagine it's amazing in real life. I still think I'd rather the 3.4s, I found the 2.7 a little low on torque, but I admit I had a Saab 9-5 2.3 Aero before it which makes most cars seem low on torque :-) I'll have to try and dig out a pic of the Cayman later, was a beauty.
    You've got to spank the 2.7. In numbers terms there's actually not a lot in it. It just doesn't have the torque to be lazy with the gear changes, you've got to ring it out. I prefer that personally. It makes you work harder.
  • juansolo;529151" said:
    thisisguitar said:

@juansolo - That clips sounds great, but I can imagine it's amazing in real life. I still think I'd rather the 3.4s, I found the 2.7 a little low on torque, but I admit I had a Saab 9-5 2.3 Aero before it which makes most cars seem low on torque :-) I'll have to try and dig out a pic of the Cayman later, was a beauty.

You've got to spank the 2.7. In numbers terms there's actually not a lot in it. It just doesn't have the torque to be lazy with the gear changes, you've got to ring it out. I prefer that personally. It makes you work harder.
    It's fine if you want to spank it, but a little embarrassing when a Renault Laguna leaves you behind and steals the gap in front of you. For enthusiastic driving I'm totally with you though :-)