Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists you didn't like/get until you heard/watched/saw them live.

What's Hot

Comments

• Rich Robinson. Not that i didn't get him before, but when I saw the Black Crowes live I realised how much of the sound came from his Rhythm playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmark said:
    Laurence Jones. Listened to the album, and I could take it or leave it. Saw him support Kenny Wayne Shepherd earlier this year and he was chuffing awesome

This...although to be honest I hadn't heard of him before the KWS gig. I'm seeing Laurence play again this week, supporting King King.

is that at Leamington? Our bass player is going, he's quite excited about it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • It is indeed @EricTheWeary. Great venue and only about 10mins up the road from me.
  • Robin Trower. Also Jeff Beck - I really liked him before but watching him from the 5th row made me appreciate how good he is. Properly blew me away.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1391
    rsvmark said:
    Laurence Jones. Listened to the album, and I could take it or leave it. Saw him support Kenny Wayne Shepherd earlier this year and he was chuffing awesome

This...although to be honest I hadn't heard of him before the KWS gig. I'm seeing Laurence play again this week, supporting King King.

Good shout. Hadn't spotted that. I shall go along myself. Are King King ok?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1391
    rsvmark said:

Good shout. Hadn't spotted that. I shall go along myself. Are King King ok?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Gassage said:
    5. Glenn Tilbrook- amazing
    Definitely with you there.  I just hadn't realised how good the guy was until I saw them.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • @rsvmark I hope so, I must admit I don't really know much by them (King King) but I've watched a few youtube clips to convince me it's worth getting a ticket for, and it's local for me.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1641
    King king are pretty good, they supported John Mayal recently at a gig I was at. Good guitarist in the band
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    Robbie McKintosh

He blew my mind at a Macca warm up gig back in the early 90s. He played an Esquire all evening and managed to cover all the Beatles and Wings bases without guitar changes or fancy pedals/amps. I revised my opinion of Telecasters that night and owned my own within a week of that gig.

His playing on the later Talk Talk albums (some of my fave albums ever) is so wonderfully clever and understated. I only realised it was him *after* that gig.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31070
    edited February 2015
    siremoon said:
    Gassage said:
    5. Glenn Tilbrook- amazing
    Definitely with you there.  I just hadn't realised how good the guy was until I saw them.
    As noted before, one of my best ever nights was playing an acoustic gig with Glenn at a Corporate gig I got for him and him letting me take the outro solo on Tempted.

I even have pics somewhere.

We did Some Fantastic Place and he was shouting out the chord changes!

He has two of the finest Taylors I've ever seen- a red 12 string and a Koa 6 string. Flattest/lowest actions ever.

His sound check had to be seen to be believed. He talks in Khz.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31857
    Most of them really, I'm usually impressed by professionalism and stage presence, even if I wouldn't necessarily buy their music.

Some surprising standouts over the years though have been Huey Morgan, Nils Lofgren and Francis Rossi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10380
    Jesse Tobias,Morrissey's guitarist.Was never impressed until I saw him live.His live playing on This Charming Man is still bobbins but in the rest if the set he was flawless.Came away with a new found respect.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Ché;529081" said:
    There's something about Jeff Beck I just can't stand. Might be the hair, the bitter attitude to his guitar peers....
    This. He's obviously a great player but he always comes across as difficult and bitter at the success of the likes of Page and Clapton. Maybe that's why he could never keep a band together for more than 5 minutes? And his recorded output in no way reflects the size of his reputation. Slim pickings indeed.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    edited February 2015
    Samgb;529900" said:
    [quote="Ché;529081"]He's obviously a great player but he always comes across as difficult and bitter at the success of the likes of Page and Clapton. Maybe that's why he could never keep a band together for more than 5 minutes? And his recorded output in no way reflects the size of his reputation. Slim pickings indeed.
    I'm not sure I'd characterise him as 'bitter'. I agree he can come across as slightly dismissive of other players - but he chose a highly idiocyncratic career path - to be a 'guitar star' who doesn't sing.

Virtuoso instrumentalists generally struggle with none-muso audiences. I bet at an average Jeff Beck gig, more than 50% of the people who go to see him are players.

I saw him on the Guitar Shop tour (the loudest gig I've ever been too incidentally) and with just a Strat Plus, a Rat and a Marshall, he created the most amazing sounds.

That said, I'd struggle to want to listen to a whole album at home.
  • meltedbuzzbox;529189" said:
    stimpsonslostson said:

Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit. The man knows how to play a HUGE riff!

I really thought I would be the only one to post that. Wes is a beast!

and obviously Wes Borland is my entry too. 
    Same here. Take him away from the band and it's nothing.

I'd also give merit to the boys from trivium. I was a big fan of the band already, but live they're just a force to be reckoned with and you realise just how brilliant they are. I did already like them, though, so wes comes first.

Lastly, jonny buckland from Coldplay. I know, perhaps not a fashionable choice, but he's a really great player with a nice sense of touch and does exactly what the song needs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3688
    edited February 2015
    Samgb;529900" said:
    [quote="Ché;529081"]He's obviously a great player but he always comes across as difficult and bitter at the success of the likes of Page and Clapton. Maybe that's why he could never keep a band together for more than 5 minutes? And his recorded output in no way reflects the size of his reputation. Slim pickings indeed.
    I'm not sure I'd characterise him as 'bitter'. I agree he can come across as slightly dismissive of other players - but he chose a highly idiocyncratic career path - to be a 'guitar star' who doesn't sing.

Virtuoso instrumentalists generally struggle with none-muso audiences. I bet at an average Jeff Beck gig, more than 50% of the people who go to see him are players.

I saw him on the Guitar Shop tour (the loudest gig I've ever been too incidentally) and with just a Strat Plus, a Rat and a Marshall, he created the most amazing sounds.

That said, I'd struggle to want to listen to a whole album at home.
    Same here.

Saw Beck some years back and his virtuosity was amazing but it got me very bored in fairly short order.

I want songs and he hasn't got any.

The best part of the evening was when he did Hi Ho Silver Lining.

I'll be honest I am not much of a guitar virtuoso worshipper, it has to be in the context of a great song which is why I rate somebody like Mick Jones over Beck.
  • Never appreciate Lyndsey Buckingham - haven't seen him live - but just from youtube vids, he has an amazing feel. 
  • Gates and Vengeance from A7X. I always knew they were excellent players, but seeing ease with which they play those lines is jaw dropping... Then you notice that they're playing in almost perfect sync. It's unbelievable.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    richardhomer;529973" said:
    [quote="Samgb;529900"][quote="Ché;529081"]He's obviously a great player but he always comes across as difficult and bitter at the success of the likes of Page and Clapton. Maybe that's why he could never keep a band together for more than 5 minutes? And his recorded output in no way reflects the size of his reputation. Slim pickings indeed.

That said, I'd struggle to want to listen to a whole album at home.[/quote]

You could put together a sensational 10-12 track solo Best Of and that would be all anyone ever needed. A few more tracks from the Yard birds and that'd be it. So bearing that in mind he has no business being dismissive of either Clapton(one of the all time great stylists - a character actor in guitar form) or Page(producer/writer/fucking Riff Machine par excellence).
    Having said that, go on YouTube and watch a few bits and bobs and he's sensational!