Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Small / Budget / "practice" Amps

What's Hot
Hey guys

I know there's a million threads like this but here's another "which amp" question. 

At the moment I rather amusingly don't actually own an amp. When I get the chance to play (small kids) I just plug headphones into my Zoom G3X. 

This is fine most of the time, but occasionally I want to play out loud and I also have a few pedals (fuzzes/OD) that don't really work into the amp models on the Zoom. So I'm thinking about getting a little amp for use at home---it won't get gigged. Here's my requirements:

• Small. It'll only get used once or twice a month! 
  • Cheap, £50 target price. It'll only get used once or twice a month! 
  • Good cleans. Nice crunch preferable. I don't play teh brutalz metalz (often...)
  • Takes pedals well.  
  • Don't need FX or millions of models
  • Don't care if its valve or solid state
  • Must sound good at low volumes!
  • Headphone socket a nice bonus

I'm tempted by the Vox Pathfinder (probably the 10W one, the 15W one is hard to find now) and also the SubZero amps that Gear4Music sell---someone else here was raving about those.  I used to have an Epiphone VJ, I could almost be tempted to get another (or something similar) I suppose. 

Thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    90s Marshall practice amps were pretty good and turn on ebay regularly.
  • Really? 

I used to have an MG15DFX. I seem to remember it was poo but that was a while back. 
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    It was called a Lead 12 IIRC
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    @UnclePsychosis
    I have a Vox DA5 I could do you a deal on.
  • @close2u thanks but that's not really what I'm looking for.

Cheers
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12426
    second hand Peavey Rage
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd get a decent set of computer speakers/monitors to plug the Zoom into if you like it, will sound way better and be better than a practise amp.
  • One of the Roland Cube Amps.
  • +1 for the Vox DA5.  Brilliant piece of kit. 
  • There was a marshall lead 12 in the classifieds not so long ago, if it's still around it may be worth checking out
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Hotone British Invasion and a Harley Benton Vintage 1x12 would be my choice -

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hotone_nano_legacy_british_invasion.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

£153 delivered... and you have seperates for other uses later into the bargain...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Really? 

I used to have an MG15DFX. I seem to remember it was poo but that was a while back. 
    Yeah, the MGs were early 2000s and were uniformly horrible amps. The early 90s Valvestate 8080, on the other hand, was highly regarded. They also did an 8020 (20 watt) and 8010 (10 watt). Maybe those were decent. I have no experience.

My second amp was a Park G25R. With hindsight, that was a reasonably decent practice amp and would be worth next to nothing secondhand.

I think you could probably do better for what you need, but at work we have the smallest Blackstar ID:core amps. They're £90 new so you might find one secondhand in budget. The 'warm clean' setting is nice and builds up to a solid crunch with the gain on full. Downsides: You'd never use its high gain amp models, from the sounds of it, and you have to connect it by USB to a computer if you want to access the 3-band EQ, which is rubbish. They sound good for money though. I'm seriously considering selling my Yamaha THR10, getting a Blackstar, and pocketing* the change.

*By "pocketing", I of course mean "buying pedals with".
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • cant go wrong with a used Kustom kg10 off ebay or similar for £10-£15. 10w solid state doesn't sound too bad. headphone socket, line out socket , ext speaker socket, input mini jack for mp3. im not selling one btw. I use mine at home a lot.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I bought a 30 watt Trace Elliott for about £50. Real Celestion V30 as the stock speaker and real spring reverb tank. Solid state but for that money just brilliant.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I'm waiting for one of the SubZero jobbies to show up, so if you give it a week or so it'll no doubt be going for pennies in the classifieds

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @jookychap not sure whether to lol that or wisdom it! Give me a shout if you are selling!

Thanks for the other tips folks. Not sure I want to spend 3x my guide budget though... ;-)
    @jookychap not sure whether to lol that or wisdom it! Give me a shout if you are selling!

Yeah, they really need a self-awareness option :) Will do..

@jookychap not sure whether to lol that or wisdom it! Give me a shout if you are selling!

Yeah, they really need a self-awareness option :) Will do..

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    JookyChap said:
    I'm waiting for one of the SubZero jobbies to show up, so if you give it a week or so it'll no doubt be going for pennies in the classifieds
    Which subzero one have you gone for, I played through a few of the valve ones in the shop but will be interested in a real world review.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.