Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Small / Budget / "practice" Amps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    edited February 2015
    I'm in a similar position to you with a toddler and limited playing/ practice time. Invariably the best time to play is when the little 'un is asleep and you're not really going to crank an amp up just as they are nodding off.

I used to have a solid-state Peavey Transtube Rage 112 which was fine for just a quick switch on without worrying about tubes warming up but the sound was very one-dimensional. It also hummed like a mofo with a drive pedal plugged in.

I went with a Blackstar HT-5R which is brilliant. It's loud enough that if I want to take it to practice it can just about hold its own but it also has a headphone jack which does an emulated output. You can also flick the Standby switch on and play through the speaker output as normal. 

You can get the HT-5's for pretty decent money (without reverb) and the HT-5R's for about 40 quid more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    @JookyChap has it arrived yet?
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @p90fool said:
    @JookyChap has it arrived yet?
    Missed the courier this morning, so it'll be tomorrow now :(

Really looking forward to it though, crazy cheap innit?

It is, and mine has taken some serious abuse over the last four years!
    @p90fool ;

And it made it, driver took pity and dropped it in on his way back to the depot.

First impressions, it is solid. Only had five minutes with it, but the cleans are lovely and it does some nice dirty stuff too. Will give it a proper blast tomorrow though. Cheers man - so much more fun that a THRn :)

It genuinely has the feel of a proper amp doesn't it?
    It has that elusive "bounce" on the clean channel which allows you to dig in even on the bridge pickup.

The dirt channel definitely has a vintage flavour and is on the warm side, but if you don't try to fight it by turning the treble up too high it has some nice harmonic overtones.
    It does have that proper amp feel, its quite odd and much more responsive than it deserves to be.

I'm resorting to the headfones now, and it still sounds good. Most bizarre :)

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    @JookyChap @p90fool quit your cryptic talking and tell us which amp it is! (please)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @BigMonka said:
    @JookyChap @p90fool quit your cryptic talking and tell us which amp it is! (please)
    Sorry - spilled over from another thread..

It is this from G4M. 

Of course @p90fool will tell you the new ones aren't a patch on the old ones ;)

JookyChap said:

Very true, 2011 was a vintage year for Chinese practice amps, your "reissue" won't be a patch on my real one.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    JookyChap said:
    @BigMonka said:
    Sorry - spilled over from another thread..

It is this from G4M. 

oh ok, I thought by your description that it may have been something like this http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/SubZero-Tube-5W-Guitar-Amp/MHF ;
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I was fancying one of their valve jobbies..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Another vote for the Marshall 12 amp. Great fun and takes pedals really well. I got mine for £20 on ebay. The speaker is worth more than that. A Vox Pathfinder 15R is another good shout, still available and probably about £50 second hand I'd guess.
  • Any more thoughts on the SubZero amp JookyChap? I'm thinking of trying one out. Is it too loud for house use?

Cheers.
  • i am also interested in these subzero amps 
    Well I love mine, c'mon @JookyChap, what do you think of it?
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Its excellent. Already seen off a blackstar fly. Never knew solid-state could be sooo very,well valve- like

• Nice one. Thanks for your comments. I think I might go ahead and get one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom