Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Coily Cables

What's Hot
What is the difference between a coily cable and a normal? 

Do they make a difference to the sound or is it purely asthetics? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    edited February 2015
    Inductance, if I remember right. Basically they will take a little bit off the top end of your sound. In some instances that'd be desirable, in others less so.

Edited in deference to ICBM's greater knowledge, as per his comment below.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Coily cable's are for children of the 70s.

:)

• they can also make you look like a bellend if you stray too far on a stage and you have to run back towards your amp chasing your cable like a fleeing snake
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    edited February 2015
    They do definitely give a slightly softer sound.

It's just that they're actually very long - if you pulled a "10-foot" one out straight it would be about 30 feet long - so they have more capacitance than a standard cable, and hence take off a bit more top end. The number of turns with an air core isn't enough to produce enough inductance to make any difference to a guitar.

When you think about Hendrix's stage rig with four of these - a total cable length of about 120' - and two tone-sucking half-bypass pedals (the Fuzz Face is actually true bypass) - the treble loss must have been enormous, and is why it sounded good with a Strat and a fully cranked Super Lead. If you try to recreate that rig with modern cables and true bypass pedals, you get an unusably shrill sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The other danger is that one advances too far stage front and stretches the lead to its limit. Whereupon the jack flies out of the amp, whizzes past your head and takes out a punter's eye.

I'm frankly astonished they haven't been banned on H&S grounds.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7907
    I've got an old 80s one (with new Neutrik jacks on) that I use in my workshop, very handy :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2015
    Have seen lots of guys using 2 of them together. Yes it was a while ago.

Was I judging what these 2 long curly cables looked like?
    Nope.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    They are really heavy and its noticeable compared to a regular cable. 
  • I used to use a 30ft Bullet Cable. That was actually really good and didn't look too stupid. Not that much high end lost for a 30 footer but inevitably some. Expensive though.
  • Just to clarify what is secretly everyone's main curiosity about coily cables  - They don't increase you chances of getting laid.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Just to clarify what is secretly everyone's main curiosity about coily cables  - They don't increase you chances of getting laid.
    I would actually disagree. I got more offers of sexual relations when I was using mine largely because I was displaying the image of being cool as fuck. The downside to this was the offers were not from hot blonde girls in their early 20's but from middle aged anoraks named Kenneth. :-(
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I have a Bullet one, weighs a ton and removes a fair whack of top end, especially with a Jazzmaster for some reason! But is red and v cool!!

• martmart Frets: 5205
    The other danger is that one advances too far stage front and stretches the lead to its limit. Whereupon the jack flies out of the amp, whizzes past your head and takes out a punter's eye.

I'm frankly astonished they haven't been banned on H&S grounds.
    :D Good to see you on here, and to see that you've brought your sense of humour with you. :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31857
    A Vox coily cable is an essential part of my Tele/Princeton rig.
  • Have a Lava retro cool and like it, not too heavy and means I don't tangle myself up in knots as I wander around the stage as I used to with straight cables...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    Gagaryn said:
    I have a Bullet one, weighs a ton and removes a fair whack of top end, especially with a Jazzmaster for some reason!
    1Meg pots. That increases the effect of cable capacitance. I found the volume control almost unusable on my Jag unless I used a 10' (straight) cable with it.

Strangely enough Fender's supplied cables of the 1960s were actually very low capacitance. They were also some of the first to use solderless plugs. [/trivia]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited February 2015
    stonevibe said:
    They are really heavy and its noticeable compared to a regular cable. 

I have just compared a Divine noise to a fender tweed and there is no real difference in weight certainly nothing you would notice without putting them on digital scales. You also don't need to tidy up a coily cable.
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Skipped said:
    Have seen lots of guys using 2 of them together. Yes it was a while ago.

Was I judging what these 2 long curly cables looked like?
    Nope.

Did somebody mention looking like a bellend ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I notice Neutrik sell jack plugs with a little dial on top to replicate the extra capacitance of an old style cable.