Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Coily Cables

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9808
    If you stray too far from your amp a coily cable will reel you back in. At least that's what appears to happen to Wilko Johnson. ;)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I have a Vox coily cable, definite decrease in treble over my Monkey FX Klotz/Neutrik (iirc) straight cables. I like the softer sound, especially with multi-fx. I also used to own an a PRS Custom 24 with a Sweet Switch but never liked the "Santana 30/50/100 FT cable" on setting which should approximate using a curly cable lol.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    capo4th said:
    stonevibe said:
    They are really heavy and its noticeable compared to a regular cable. 

I have just compared a Divine noise to a fender tweed and there is no real difference in weight certainly nothing you would notice without putting them on digital scales. You also don't need to tidy up a coily cable.
    My one is a bullet cable and weighs a lot more than my other non-coiled ones. 

So maybe just their ones that weigh a ton. I had loads of coiled ones in the '80s and they were not as heavy as this one is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    The classic 60s and 70s ones aren't heavy at all, because the actual cable is thin. The ones which are more like a coiled standard cable in thickness are a lot heavier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    Gearmandude uses them! Nuff said :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    ICBM said:
    The classic 60s and 70s ones aren't heavy at all, because the actual cable is thin. The ones which are more like a coiled standard cable in thickness are a lot heavier.
    Great for sorting out 'neck dive' on SGs and the like.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8831
    Straight cables can get looped around mic stands and pedals. A curly cable goes in search of something to tie itself around, and failing that ties knots with itself
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Wilko Johnston seems to do ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8831
    edited February 2015
    IIRC Wilko used the cable to fence Lee in
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i use to have the fender koil cables...and i did like the effect on the top end, but i didnt like the crackly sound when the cable would hit the floor or move around...the sound would actually come through the amp. It may have been a bad cable, but that always pissed me off about it, which is why i got rid of it.
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Jimi used coily cables and his tone was shite.

;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I fancy using some shorter coily cables at home for neatness.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• samzadgan said:
    i use to have the fender koil cables...and i did like the effect on the top end, but i didnt like the crackly sound when the cable would hit the floor or move around...the sound would actually come through the amp. It may have been a bad cable, but that always pissed me off about it, which is why i got rid of it.

Actually Planet Waves have pioneered a way of engineering that in to a straight cable.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:
    I have a Bullet one, weighs a ton and removes a fair whack of top end, especially with a Jazzmaster for some reason!
    1Meg pots. That increases the effect of cable capacitance. I found the volume control almost unusable on my Jag unless I used a 10' (straight) cable with it.

Strangely enough Fender's supplied cables of the 1960s were actually very low capacitance. They were also some of the first to use solderless plugs. [/trivia]
    Yip, that will be it!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    hobbio said:
    I think that was part of the equation for the less famous gigging musician.
    You put your Twin Reverb on a Stand. Or a chair. The curly cable goes straight down (to the chair leg and the floor) and then stretches forward to the just heavy enough (first)  pedal (Cry Baby) right at the front of the stage  This is a very neat arrangement..... quite apart from the tone sucking wall of sound awesomeness.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    They do definitely give a slightly softer sound.

It's just that they're actually very long - if you pulled a "10-foot" one out straight it would be about 30 feet long - so they have more capacitance than a standard cable, and hence take off a bit more top end. The number of turns with an air core isn't enough to produce enough inductance to make any difference to a guitar.

When you think about Hendrix's stage rig with four of these - a total cable length of about 120' - and two tone-sucking half-bypass pedals (the Fuzz Face is actually true bypass) - the treble loss must have been enormous, and is why it sounded good with a Strat and a fully cranked Super Lead. If you try to recreate that rig with modern cables and true bypass pedals, you get an unusably shrill sound.
    The Gigrig Z cable is great for adding/subtracting this effect without having to change cables.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Cable effect on tone is 99.99% down to total capacitance before buffering with passive pickups, other than interference noise.

So this depends upon the cable capacitance per metre x actual length.

Higher capacitance reduces resonant frequency and high end all other things being equal.

Coiled cables look less long than they actually are, but other than that there is no difference.

Cheers.

Marc,
    Shootout Guitar Cables, UK

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited February 2015
    The idea was originally, that they didn't get under your feet on stage... that was all...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I have two divine Noise 50/50 everything is neat and tidy with added length just when you need it