Jazzmaster Bridge Pickup options

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2633
Having been playing by Jazzmaster build for a few months, I've reached the conclusion that I don't really like the bridge (Creamery) pup - it's just too thin sounding and doesn't combine well with the neck pup in the middle position to give me that jangly Swervedrivery rhythm guitar sound I was hoping for. I've tried playing about with the pickup height but it's still not doing it for me.

So what to try next? A hotter (likely Mojo) JM pup, or a JM P90, or maybe one of these Seymour Duncan Antiquity ones that I've read about? Choices, choices...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    I had similar issues with my AVRI when I first got it. I had Marc at Mojo build me a mildly overwound bridge pickup - it's not that loud, but took the clank away.

Talk to him. He's very helpful.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I am 95% sure you will want something overwound. 
    I have had many, many sets of pickups for my Jazzmasters and tried P90s, classics, fender custom shop, AVRI etc. 
    The Fender stuff always has the issue you have highlighted and the P90 works but it is a bit honky and not brilliant in the middle position. 

I would recommend what @impmann said. Talk to Marc @mojopickups and get the bridge overwound to match the output/presence of the neck pickup (or even better get a full set from him). 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    Cheers guys. I might just go for the full Mojo set option having got a pair of his pickups in my Toronado. Reckon it'd be easier to sell on the Creamery pups as a pair too.
  • See, and I didn't even chime in shouting "SD Antiquitiy I's are great".

they are though, OBVS.
    If you'd added "as used by Thurston Moore" (which I think they are) - I might've been persuaded. ...but lah,lah,lah, I can't hear you;)
  • His are the twos I believe. It's Nels Cline who favours the 1s. Amongst others, OBVS :D
  • ewal said:
    Cheers guys. I might just go for the full Mojo set option having got a pair of his pickups in my Toronado. Reckon it'd be easier to sell on the Creamery pups as a pair too.

Do this

Ask Marc to wind you a JM P90 - its what i have in my 66' relic and its the best pick up on any of my guitars - its so versatile. I can even get proper decent classic rock tones out of it - he made me a slightly overwound neck pup to go with it so they were matched.

Add a smattering of chorus and its "Under the Bridge" all day long.

I seriously rate Marc as the best pickup builder in the UK today - if not further afield as well

• ewal said:

Do this

Ask Marc to wind you a JM P90 - its what i have in my 66' relic and its the best pick up on any of my guitars - its so versatile. I can even get proper decent classic rock tones out of it - he made me a slightly overwound neck pup to go with it so they were matched.

Add a smattering of chorus and its "Under the Bridge" all day long.

I seriously rate Marc as the best pickup builder in the UK today - if not further afield as well

Marc is the daddy but the JM P90 is not as good as an over wound JM pup. :-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Get a pair of Squier Mascis pickups!
  • Alternatively, the Novak JM Fat pickup is supposed to be excellent, if a little pricey.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • dogload said:
    Get a pair of Squier Mascis pickups!
    get out of here! :-P
  • Show us a photo ewal! I'm in the early stages of building a JM (Well, I've made a neck template for it)
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    My build is pretty bog standard and breaks a few JM rules - strat neck, black witches hats. You'll find a picture on this thread:http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17804/to-build-a-jazzmaster-or-not
    ...although I'm toying with the idea of re-finishing in Sherwood Green...
  • Out of curiosity has anyone tried the Mosrite style JM pickups that M-3 and (I think) Mojo do?