Fix or flog

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @samzadgan what did he do? I'm eager to try out some of his stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

he basically made me a humbucker in a p90 enclosure and still made it look like it was P90.

his also made me some A8 humbuckers in the past with coil split. I have it in the bridge of my iceman, and in the neck he did a scrapyard dog (i think) also coil split. Basically my Iceman is completely versatile with those pickups...i can do metal, doom, blues, jazz everything, and with coils split it sounds so much like a strat/tele its not funny. I basically use the neck with the single coil for cleans and it sounds really great, clear, warm...sounds just like a strat neck pickup (which is the only tone on a strat i like)

His pickups never fail to amaze me...and his a good dude too.

• @samzadgan Sounds awesome, I'll scrape some cash together then start pestering him!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Its a guitar man, it deserves to be played.  The issues you list seem relatively small, if it were mine I would fix them or get them fixed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• So just checking out the pickups now, think I need to lower the neck pickup slightly as it's much louder than the bridge and seems a bit distorted, but the whole guitar now seems a bit easier to play and has a bit more punch when plugged in. They sound closer to how I think humbuckers should sound.

Think I'm going to go the @WezV route and keep it as a practice guitar, then build my own at some point in the future as per @TTony 's advice.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

P.S. @ICBM how do I know what the fibrous mahogany looks like?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    P.S. @ICBM how do I know what the fibrous mahogany looks like?
    Like the ply in what the body is made of :).

If the neck is maple as well as the fingerboard - I think it is, but I can't quite see clearly enough in the pics - then no problem, you'll be able to get the screws tight.

If it's a soft mahogany one and the screws have stripped (not helped because they're usually quite poor screws with a thick core and a relatively shallow thread, so there's not much thread depth in the wood) you can either fix the holes with toothpicks and glue - which works very well - or if you just can't make the neck stable at all, glue it in with epoxy. I've done several, I don't think it's a bad thing to do on a guitar like this. You can't tell unless you try to take it off again anyway, if you do it cleanly.

Ritchie Blackmore used to do it to 70s Strats with dodgy neck joints! Probably not quite so recommended. I once bought a Strat without realising it had been glued, and it was quite a pig to get apart - which it needed, since it had been set at the wrong angle. So be careful...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein