Game or Sport - compare and contrast

What's Hot
bertiebertie Frets: 13578
so what categorises one from the other.
just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    I think it's game if you can eat the thing you've killed, and sport if you can't (or don't).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like a chap that's game but I soon lose interest if he gives in too easily and doesn't offer good sport.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15861
    edited October 2013
    golf is a game, but shooting golfers is good sport.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A definition I heard once was that if you trained for it, it was a sport, and if you practiced for it, it was a game.  However, general fitness could stand someone in good stead for what might otherwise be considered a game - a snooker player who goes to the gym and stays in shape might be better equipped to cope with the stresses of a long tournament session than a chain-smoking me-a-like.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • if I practice my instrument is playing it a game?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • A definition I heard once was that if you trained for it, it was a sport, and if you practiced for it, it was a game.  However, general fitness could stand someone in good stead for what might otherwise be considered a game - a snooker player who goes to the gym and stays in shape might be better equipped to cope with the stresses of a long tournament session than a chain-smoking me-a-like.
    Also keeping in trim saves snooker players money by not having to buy an extra long cue to reach the table past an enormous belly. This is probably why Stephen Lee had to resort to match fixing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you can do it whilst smoking, it's a game. Otherwise, it's sport.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Anything where the players don't interact ( ie is basically turn taking) is a game. Like darts. Or shot put. So, snooker and football are sports.
    Not a flawless theory but works for me
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    Anything where the players don't interact ( ie is basically turn taking) is a game. Like darts. Or shot put. So, snooker and football are sports.
    That makes Super Mario a sport. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Games are for people who like having fun.

Sport is for overly competitive fuckwits with necks bigger than their arms and tiny dicks.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Games are for people who like having fun.

Sport is for overly competitive fuckwits with necks bigger than their arms and tiny dicks.
    By that categorisation most FPS games are sports. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    lol! I'd agree! :D
    monquixote;51655" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

That makes Super Mario a sport. 
    yes. Super Mario should be in the Olympics and shot put and javelin out. Anything that is basically turn taking is just dull to watch for a start.
    I am undecided on snooker. It is turn taking but the outcome of the last player's turn directly effects how your turn goes. But if I accept snooker it means chess and connect 4 and jenga are also sports.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    But if I accept snooker it means chess and connect 4 and jenga are also sports.
    They are the way I play them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I am undecided on snooker. It is turn taking but the outcome of the last player's turn directly effects how your turn goes. But if I accept snooker it means chess and connect 4 and jenga are also sports.
    See my point on smoking. All can be played whilst smoking, therefore are games, as is golf. Football, rugby, athletics etc. are sport.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15861
    high board diving? you can smoke, you just have to be real quick.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

vasselmeyer;51671" said:
    EricTheWeary said:I am undecided on snooker. It is turn taking but the outcome of the last player's turn directly effects how your turn goes. But if I accept snooker it means chess and connect 4 and jenga are also sports.

See my point on smoking. All can be played whilst smoking, therefore are games, as is golf. Football, rugby, athletics etc. are sport.
    in order to smoke you need only one hand to play the game or sufficient time between turns to light up. But in football you don't use your hands much and, therefore, could smoke whilst playing.
  • AlbionLassAlbionLass Frets: 89
    edited October 2013
    vasselmeyer;51671" said:
    EricTheWeary said:I am undecided on snooker. It is turn taking but the outcome of the last player's turn directly effects how your turn goes. But if I accept snooker it means chess and connect 4 and jenga are also sports.

in order to smoke you need only one hand to play the game or sufficient time between turns to light up. But in football you don't use your hands much and, therefore, could smoke whilst playing.

Isn't that why they used to wear longer, baggier shorts in the olden days? Room for pockets to keep their tin of baccy, papers and box of Swan Vestas for consumption during matches. This went out of fashion during the '70s because of the fire hazard presented by the proliferation of longer hair, perms and increased use of flammable male grooming products among professional footballers.

@AlbionLass good point well made. And football is described as a game of two halves, not a sport of two halves.
  • Isn't that why they used to wear longer, baggier shorts in the olden days? Room for pockets to keep their tin of baccy, papers and box of Swan Vestas for consumption during matches. This went out of fashion during the '70s because of the fire hazard presented by the proliferation of longer hair, perms and increased use of flammable male grooming products among professional footballers.
    Surely another reason to link to the Harry Enfiled sketch on historic Arsenal v modern Liverpool: