Game or Sport - compare and contrast

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Ah, but that's because a football match is also a 'game'. Football is a sport.

If you play it sitting down or leaning on a table then it's a game. If you play it standing up then it's a sport.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Ah, but that's because a football match is also a 'game'. Football is a sport.

If you play it sitting down or leaning on a table then it's a game. If you play it standing up then it's a sport.
    What about luge and skeleton?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    edited October 2013
    What about luge and skeleton?
    Damn, I missed out the word 'at'... if you play it sitting down at or leaning on a table then it's a game. If it was just sitting down it would make rowing a game :).

The standing up needs to not involve tables too, or snooker is a sport.

I'm sure this is all tied up in some sort of 1920s public-school idea of what is or isn't a fitting occupation for a gentleman... but I'm not sure. (And I went to one, although not in the 1920s ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    ICBM said:

Darts? 

As for FPSes, there are massive tournaments with big prizes and a significant number of people who play professionally. That makes it "E-Sports" apparently.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    ICBM said:

Darts? 

As for FPSes, there are massive tournaments with big prizes and a significant number of people who play professionally. That makes it "E-Sports" apparently.
    According to this: http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-game-and-sport/ Darts is a Sport.

The link is clearly bollocks.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    If you can get killed or seriously injured it's a sport, otherwise it's just a game....

Speaking as a former amateur motorcycle racer who's taken part in some of the Isle of Man's less glamorous road racing events I'd say that massed start, high speed road racing between dry stone walls on glorified cart-tracks (Hello Jurby South!) is pretty much the definitive sport. :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Not sure, but I do know that football is a game for over paid dim witted males with bad haircuts, naff tattoos and children named after the cities in which they were conceived and rugby is a sport for real men. 

:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Using the smoking thing as the differentiator, American "football" is a game. Lots of standing around with the odd bit of throwing and pushing people over.
    My V key is broken
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    JayGee said:
    If you can get killed or seriously injured it's a sport, otherwise it's just a game....
    Does that make sticking your knob in a toaster a sport?
  • JayGee said:
    Does that make sticking your knob in a toaster a sport?
    Would certainly be a spectator sport. Can I watch?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    what have I started........................................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    bertie said:
    Clearly, a game.
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    bertie said:
    Clearly, a game.
    But what if he was smoking while he wrote it, but he had his knob in a toaster?
  • octatonic said:
    bertie said:
    Clearly, a game.

octatonic said:
    bertie said:
    Clearly, a game.
    I imagine he would be smoking if he left his knob in there long enough.

• AlbionLassAlbionLass Frets: 89
    edited October 2013

• Lord only knows what happened there...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I think you may have got over excited at the thought of Bertie's charred member :D
  • I think you may have got over excited at the thought of Bertie's charred member :D
    There's even a toaster that's just the job.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    AlbionLass;51927" said:
    monquixote said:

I think you may have got over excited at the thought of Bertie's charred member :D

http://www.igus.co.jp/wpck/default.aspx?Pagename=Manus13_Sausagetoaster&C=JP&L=ja
    slightly concerned/ intrigued as to why you knew about that..

can I put forward water polo as a true sport? Physically demanding, interactive team sport ( based on the rules for rugby)and not at all possible to smoke whilst playing.
    Damn hard on the horses though...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368

Has anyone told Chillidoggy he will jump the height of himself. Toasted chillidoggies mmm lovely.

Where will technology lead to when we can toast our weiners and other tubelike meat products.