Boss OD-3 anygood?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

I like the SD-1. Also liked the Bad Monkey..but they are long gone, fondly remembered tho, cheap good sounding pedals. Now I've got the OD-3 and Hardwire OD on my board. OD-3 = rhythm sound and adding in either the CM-2 or RAT on top for a solo. Works great and sounds it to.

One thing the OD-3 has is a lot more output volume...on half volume it probably matches the SD-1 so its boost potential is greater.

OD-3 for me is the halfway house between the BD-2 and the SD-1 tonally....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I've tried the 3 before. When Stock, I like OD-3>SD-1>BD-2. Keeley BD-2 more than all of them. But I'm sure that different people will have different preferences because of their differing gear and tastes. 

The best thing to do is to try them all. Buy used and sell the ones you don't like. Ultimately, would cost you a couple of PMs and a fiver per pedal "demo".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72559
    d8m said:
    I've spent a large portion of the afternoon looking at vids and reading up and it appears the SD-1 may be for me.

I can run it as a mild OD or run it into the front of my Blackstar on the gain channel and make it scream.

The only thing that's stopping me is how divided opinion seems to be on it, that and possible bypass leak
    The bypass leak is a pain in the backside, but luckily is stopped completely by running it after any other buffered pedal. Or unluckily if you don't plan to…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom