Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

can you whistle a tune?

What's Hot
I can't. I can make a whistling noise and that's about it. I feel it is a lost art that needs reviving yet I feel helpless to act.
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I can :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • I flatter myself I can get a tune out of pretty much anything and I can whistle with good pitch but the actual noise I make is a bit on the weak side.

I couldn't whistle as a kid and dad made me learn by taking my favourite toy truck away from me, putting it high up on top of a cupboard and not letting me have it back until I could whistle. 

• Nope, can't whistle. Can't hum a tune either. I think I must be broken.
    <space for hire>
  • No. I guess my teeth must be the wrong shape
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Yes but I have a limited range. :)
  • Yep, can whistle a good tune and very loud if I want.. I don't tho as whistling is bloody horrible.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    I'm an excellent whistler; suck and blow.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I taught myself to whistle around age 17, no idea why.

One thing I can do though, is a horrible whistling version of baker street / careless whisper. It's barely recognisable as either, but annoying enough to get stuck in your head.
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    edited October 2013
    I CAN WHISTLE TWO NOTES AT ONCE. Edit - not like this dude though:
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    Nope, can't whistle. Can't hum a tune either. I think I must be broken.
    I can whistle but can barely carry a tune and have similar problem humming or singing.  I can hear the tune in my head and can work out how to play it if you hand me a guitar.  I honestly think there's something missing between my brain and vocal chords.  What's more annoying is the fact that my ears work fine so I can hear that I'm out of tune but can't do anything about it.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    5'08:

"I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Yes I can whistle, much to the annoyance of my wife and workmates

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    I can whistle tunes no bother sucking or blowing but I can't do that mad loud two handed whistle - really tried over the years but couldn't get it going..
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    No, but I can play your mum like a kazoo.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    I can play your dad like a trombone
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, but I try not to as it can be very distracting to others.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I can, I used to be pretty good, but I'm out of practise. I can do tuvan throat singing though.
    My V key is broken
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Yup even to the point of faux yodelling type whistling, don't ask I was very obtuse as a child.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Most people cannot whistle a tune - this does not stop them making a screechy noise. One person I worked with started the day whistling at about the volume of concorde taking off in a concrete tube with you at the other end, and then would get louder all day. It didn't matter that he was out of tune, out of time, and annoying everyone around him - no matter who asked him to stop. He made the mistake of moving departments to an office where the manager doesn't like her staff talking to each other (as though a chatty office is an unproductive office, more than an office of miserable drones).

Whistling done right is a lot like any musical instrument... it plays a tune... however 99.999999999999999% (est) of whistlers are c***s who can't whistle but like to make a noise. It is one of the worst kinds of noise pollution as it's high frequencies so easily cut through so many other sounds. 

Most whistling is a blight on the face of the earth and were it legal I'd use bolt cutters on the lips of bad whistlers,

And people who try whistling along to a tune should at least F***ING try to get the song right. Be in tune, in key, in time, in harmony - anything but the atonal warblings that most fucknuts manage.

I myself recognise that I can whistle - but not very well... so I don't burden others with the horrific noise... in much the same way as I wouldn't take a guitar to public places amp myself up to a marshal wall of death style set of amps then try noodling along to songs I don't know using only my nose for fretting

If you're good at whistling - good for you. If you're bad at whistling but still whistle loudly in public you're worse than Stalin!

Also I'm cranky this morning
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

I can whistle a tune with my hands.

Yup. Still awesome.