Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are you a TU or Pitchblack Person?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited February 2015
    Drew_fx;539114" said:
    Branshen said:

Drew_fx said:

I've had a TU-2, a Polytune mini, and a TU-3. I wish I still had my....

.... TU-2.

eh? isnt the TU-3 better?

Strangely, no. I don't find it as accurate.
    I think it is more accurate though that makes it more sensitive so you spend more time tuning? I sometimes think the super accuracy is only necessary for recording stuff. I'd be surprised if the TU2 was actually more accurate anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    Drew_fx said:
    .... TU-2.

I think it is more accurate though that makes it more sensitive so you spend more time tuning? I sometimes think the super accuracy is only necessary for recording stuff. I'd be surprised if the TU2 was actually more accurate anyway.
    The TU-2 is *less* accurate... +/- 3 cents, as opposed to +/- 1 cent for the TU-3.

It used to get a huge amount of flak for this from the nothing-but-1/10th-cent-accuracy-is-good-enough strobe tuner brigade on TGP, but I actually think it may be intentional - Boss tuners have always been +/- 1 cent otherwise, so it would be odd if they didn't just use the same processing unless they specifically wanted to.

The reason will be to make it less fussy on stage, where you really don't need that much accuracy. But they may have felt compelled to change it due to market perception that it wasn't "good enough".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;539041" said:
    Boss. I don't like pedals with click switches if I can avoid them.

But I may get a Polytune… I do love the Polytune app on my phone. Although it works so well that I may not need a tuner pedal any more.
    The pitch black is a soft switch.

I'd swap for boss though. Looks cooler.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited February 2015
    ICBM;539569" said:
    guitarfishbay said:

Drew_fx said:.... TU-2.

The TU-2 is *less* accurate... +/- 3 cents, as opposed to +/- 1 cent for the TU-3.

It used to get a huge amount of flak for this from the nothing-but-1/10th-cent-accuracy-is-good-enough strobe tuner brigade on TGP, but I actually think it may be intentional - Boss tuners have always been +/- 1 cent otherwise, so it would be odd if they didn't just use the same processing unless they specifically wanted to.

The reason will be to make it less fussy on stage, where you really don't need that much accuracy. But they may have felt compelled to change it due to market perception that it wasn't "good enough".
    I know that the TU3 is the more accurate one, probably didn't make it clear from my wording - anyway my point is the same, the TU2 is enough for most gig usage - more accuracy doesn't necessarily mean the better outcome in that scenario. I meant I'd be surprised if Drew's TU2 genuinely was more accurate, I reckon it is just less fussy (which is no bad thing as discussed).

Tuning a string to be super accurate isn't a guarantee that any fretted notes will be in tune anyway - guitar intonation is never 100% with standard frets plus it only takes slight pressure imbalances when fretting or a heavy pick strike to lose that super accurate tuning anyway.
  • ICBM;539375" said:
    Teetonetal said:Really? I hate it, I must be doing something wrong. Although normal mode on tu3 is easy, quick and accurate so I do it that way happily.

I like the pseudo-strobe mode, I find it much easier to use quickly on stage because it gives you a much better sense of how fast you're approaching the right pitch, so you don't overshoot, and it's easier to get it to stop just right without jittering back and forth. I haven't tried the TU-3 yet though, and I do know they've improved the basic accuracy compared to the TU-2, so maybe the 3 is easier in normal mode.
    It's funny I just find this mode super sensitive I am forever over, then under tuning. Exactly the opposite of how you find it. Good it does both then.
  • DT-10
  • I just use the tuner on my GT-10.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    The boss has buffer too...its my next purchase.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Seriously tempted to get a Polytune 2 now!

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    TU-3 gets the job done for me and acts as a PSU for the pedals that go in the front of my amp.
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    TU2 on my board
    and PitchLab on my phone.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited March 2015
    I have the Boss TU12H which is excellent. Fits into the space at the top of my BCB-60 and PB1000, so I don't have to use up a pedal space.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I have a tu2 on my guitar board and a poly tune mini on ye bass board