Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Top distortion pedals

What's Hot
preston61preston61 Frets: 690
Okay, so my distortion needs have not been met by the Cornish P2, it's more fuzz than I would like. Going to keep trying with it for a bit longer but should it not be right it will just confirm that I am not a fuzz man.

So what is there out there in the higher end of things in the distortion pedal world?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited February 2015

image =))

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17662
    tFB Trader
    Riot Reloaded
    Bogner Red
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Blackarts Quantum Mystic @samzadgan can give ya more deets.
    Lonewolf Plaguerat.
    Center Street Electronics Supernaut
    Bearfoot Model H plus something like a SHO?
    Okko Dominator
    Plain old Rat
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24567
    AMT Legend 2 series.

P2; R2, M2 etc etc.

Check Bergs YT vids.
    monquixote;540134" said:
    Riot ReloadedBogner Red
    I'd like to try a Riot

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Riot's are very good.  
    I love the wampler pinnacle too - a bit more chewy and sings a little more to me.

Have you got any reference tones?   There are so many quality pedals now it would be easier to suggest something knowing what you like?
    tFB Trader
    Lew said:
    monquixote;540134" said:
    Riot ReloadedBogner Red
    I'd like to try a Riot

I'm hoping to do a Riot vs Reloaded comparision in the near future. 
    edited February 2015
    Lew said:
    monquixote;540134" said:
    Riot ReloadedBogner Red
    I'd like to try a Riot

The correct reply was "Well I can let ya borrow it for a week when you send me the Descent to try" ;-) (the new Suhr video of the Rufus reloaded sounds great too)
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    The quantum mystic for me the be all end all...but it can get a little fuzzy too if you want it (which you dont)

I would say if you want a tight distortion the QM is not for you.

I keep saying this and not too many people give this pedal a go...but the MXR super badass distortions is one pf yhe best distortions i've owned. For me the only issue was that i prefer a bit fuzz in my distortion...but if i didnt that MXR would be it for me.
  • Thanks for the input everyone. I tend to like to use a distortion for my lead tone, and still own a wampler hotwired with the red side being voiced like a rat I believe. I may just go back to that but if I've got a P2 's worth of money I might as well see what out there.

The bogner red sounds interesting, might not be able to fit it on the board with the Jester and the Cali76 though, lol
    tFB Trader
    Lew said:
    Lew said:
    monquixote;540134" said:
    Riot ReloadedBogner Red
    I'd like to try a Riot

The correct reply was "Well I can let ya borrow it for a week when you send me the Descent to try" ;-) (the new Suhr video of the Rufus reloaded sounds great too)
    I would do, but neither of the Suhr's are mine!
  • IMHO for great heavy rhythm the Barber Dirty Bomb is awesome, for screaming leads the Riot, Crunch Box, Bogner Red or OCD are all totally capable of magic. If you already have a good full range overdrive, you could try smacking that with a TS 808 and that will make it into a great lead tone. My favourite is an HAO Rust Booster after the TS. There so much choice though!!!
    You could also try putting a booster after your P2 as that my make it sound more distortion than fuzz - SHO or something like that...
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    preston61 said:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I tend to like to use a distortion for my lead tone, and still own a wampler hotwired with the red side being voiced like a rat I believe. I may just go back to that but if I've got a P2 's worth of money I might as well see what out there.

The bogner red sounds interesting, might not be able to fit it on the board with the Jester and the Cali76 though, lol
    Does the Jester not have enough gain?    I thought with the booster it would sound pretty cool - I've nearly bought one a couple of times thinking it would give plenty of gain.
  • The wave cannon mk2 by Caroline guitars is supposed to be belter!
  • I'm not loving the sound of the P2 in general, and used the Jester boost after it and I'm not a fan.

The jester is a classic overdrive, and without question the best I've tried, and it would have to be because a pedal that big doesn't get a quarter of my board unless it deserves it. For me it sits best as an overdrive and I like using it for my crunch sound but prefer a gainier sound for my lead tone (apart from bluesy type lead, thats covered by the Zendrive).
  • Empress distortion
    RAT
    Boss DS2
    Nobels Straight Distortion
    Bogner Red
    Dr Green Black Death
    TRex mean machine
    Shredmaster
    ZVEX Distortron

I dare say there are many more
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Yeah, I'd like a Caroline Wave Cannon mkII
  • Crank a Boss Blues Driver. You'll be surprised. It's the only pedal I'd never sell. At low gain it does lovely light crunchy stuff, but you turn that gain knob around and it gets lairy, I promise you.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• This may have made my mind up for me. Boy can that Mr Thorn play
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Providence stampede i absolutely love mine and has killed all my distortion pedal GAS and absolutely knocked the sh*t out of my Fulltone OCD!
    plus its compact and absolutely bomb proof.