Chorus ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    TC SCF for that Eric Johnson chorus, truely a great pedal.

The mxr analog chorus is very good, Easily comparable to the Analogman clone chorus. I've had both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    The little Mooer Chorus is quite good as an inexpensive CE-2 clone. 

I also like the MXR Micro Chorus. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    matone said:
    Liking the sound of the MXR tbh.Less knobs usually = better sounds to me !

If I needed a chorus for a gig, it's the first one I'd go for.

To my ear it's nicer than the Boss units (I've had a couple) and has no unuseable sounds.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    The little Mooer Chorus is quite good as an inexpensive CE-2 clone. 

As much as I hate micro pedals, they generally sound quite good.  A used Mooer will be a great bet, and easy to sell on in todays everything needs to be tiny market.

• matonematone Frets: 211
    mike_l said:
    matone said:
    Liking the sound of the MXR tbh.Less knobs usually = better sounds

If I needed a chorus for a gig, it's the first one I'd go for.

To my ear it's nicer than the Boss units (I've had a couple) and has no unuseable sounds.

Agreed,watching the Youtube demos,there isn`t a bad sound in them .

Thanks again for all the input.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 600

I also really like the Boss Chorus pedals - they just sound "right" to me for the sound I hear when I think Chorus.

I did have an early Black Label, Made in Japan CE-2 but sold it when I bought an early CE-5 and found I could get it to sound pretty well the same (to my ears). The advantage of the CE-5 is that it has a "mix" control - the CE-2 just has Rate and Depth and I often found it was "too much" if I just wanted something subtle. The CE-5 easily does subtle if I want or full-on if I don't and can be picked up dead cheap used. Bear in mind though, there are 2 versions of the CE-5 - the earlier ones are analogue (which is the one I have) and the later ones are digital. Can't remember when they changed over but a quick Google should bring it up.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    They changed over in 2001 I believe. Same time as the CH1.

I too really like the CE5. I bought a digital version a couple of months ago in my continuing search for a chorus sound which worked for me. It had the sound I was after so decided to pick up a spare too. The one which turned up was a blue label, analog model and it just sounded warmer, slightly thicker and just a bit nicer than the digital. The digital got sold and I picked up another blue label, analog model for a spare - they can be had quite cheaply, I don't think I paid more than £40 for either.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    I have two CH-1's that I used to cascade into one another..........I haven't used them in bleems but they are still in my also-rans cupboard. I don't use 'em at all.....could be available if you think they are for you?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Talking of stacking choruses, try a BF-2 into an HF-2 (both with a chorus setting, obviously!). A unique bi-chorus tone. Actually, an HF-2 makes a cool, different chorus on its own. I wonder what proper, hi-band chorus sounds like?
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    I read somewhere that the Boss CH1 braches chorus out to the upper frequencies, so maybe that is the chorus equivalent of the HF2?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    DOD FX65, can be had regularly on eBay for £30 or less. All over RHCP's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik".

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    I have an MXR ZW38 Zakk Wylde Black Label Chorus for sale which uses analog bucket brigade chips for that old school sound, it also has high and low tone controls. I'd do it for £45 delivered http://i.imgur.com/VVMrnCs.jpg
    Thanks,too many knobs for me though .
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I had problems with the micro chorus, there was a definite volume change when i hit it on. I've had that Black Label one, and it is the best chorus i have had.

I always though the MXR Analog Chorus/Black Label Chorus was an analog Boss CE5 clone.
  • My favourite chorus pedals are the mxr micro chorus (as everyone has said, no bad sounds!), the visual sound liquid chorus (really, really thick and lush) and the dod fx65 (which is my current squeeze - and shan't be replaced).

I want a ce-2 to see what the fuss is about, but the dod kicks arse. Honorable mention to the digitech hardwire - sounds amazing on a few of the settings, and has a great, slightly phasey vintage mode, and the jazz mode is pure classic Metallica.
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

I've had a thing for chorus pedals for a while.  For some odd reason they like to follow me home... Even more sad, is that both of my amps HAVE good sounding chorus in them, yet I still look at and buy chorus pedals.

Those I like:

for Simplicity's sake, yet another endorsement of MXR's Micro Chorus.  As well as EHX's Small Clone.  "The Clone" is also a single knob pedal, but adds a depth switch.  Very good sounding pedal, and I believe it's analog.

Full featured:

TC Corona.  This one is digital, but Has a wealth of good sounds in it.  Standard 4 knob pedal, with the addition of a toggle switch to go between standard chorus and tri-chorus.  The middle position is for tone print, I rarely use this setting- I don't want to bother with hooking it up to a computer, and am more than happy with the sounds it makes already.  I particularly like the tri-chorus, as it's a bit more of a complex sound.

MXR Analog chorus.  Don't let the extra knob dissuade you from giving it a whirl- it has a 2 band eq setting is all.  Warmer, and a bit more subtle sounding than the TC, so I tend to flip flop between the two depending on what I want.  Plenty of good sounds in here, too.  Currently in use in my pedal chain.

BOSS Super Chorus.  I think if you were to look up chorus effect in a dictionary, you'd see a picture of this.  Nice and bright and liquidy sounding.  I like this one especially for bass.

All three of the above are stereo.  Not to mention they're all relatively easy on the wallet.

TC Gravy.  Combines the tri-chorus from the Corona pedal with a vibrato effect.  I'm not that partial to pedal vibrato fx ( I think the problem is ME, and not the effect), and mainly stick to the tri-chorus.  Not sure why I HAD to have this, as I already owned a Corona- fecking GAS...   Just like with the Corona, the tri-chorus effect is really nice.

As an aside, Both PGS's Andy and Tore from TC do a really good job of showing how to use/get the most from a chorus pedal in their reviews of the TC Corona.  Helped me immensely with getting the sounds I want from a 4 knob chorus!  ( Speed, depth, level and tone)   I tend to mainly use a chorus to add a sense of liquid depth and a subtle swirl to cleans.   Hard to describe just what it does for bass, other than that it's a distinctive and very good sound.

FWIW, I'm a child of the 80's, and love a lot of early 90's and metal sounds as well, so I do not possess the strong dislike for "Those @#$%& 80's chorus sounds" that some have.   All of the above can get you there, but the brighter TC and Boss Choruses do it better, imo. 

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Ive got a CE5  Velcro on bottom but never used. £45 deliverd
    or Trex Chorus flanger i bought from here, ive never used it ,excellent condition £40 Delivered.
  • Ché;545356" said:
    DOD FX65, can be had regularly on eBay for £30 or less. All over RHCP's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik".
    I love this pedal! Brilliant chorus, the delay time knob is really useful.

I'm going to get a couple more as spare, before people realise how awesome they are.
    edited March 2015
    Went to my local geetar emporium and asked Big Bob about a chorus pedal.He said the MXR Micro Chorus was the finest one available,especially when matched with the fine Marshall amplification ! He almost had a seizure when I asked about the multi knob boutique types,screaming that `a boutique was a place that girlies go to buy fancy underwear`.To calm him down I thought it best to hand over my readies and get the Mxr Micro Chorus and leave !

Seriously though ,thanks for all of your views and advice,off to play about with my new Mxr.