Chorus ?

What's Hot
matonematone Frets: 211
Looking for a classic sounding chorus and don`t want to spend a fortune on it ! Any suggestions.
I`ve looked at 2nd hand Boss and there are a few types ,what do they do different to each other ?
Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    To my ears there are basically two types of chorus. Super wet 80's style and the more subtle style. I find the Boss stuff does the subtle better and that suits things like leslie type sounds better. The super wet stuff is what I tend to go more for. The Arion SCH (which I happen to be selling one of mine) is one of the best for this along with Analogman, Tortuga and TC. Depends which sort of sound you want to go for really. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    whats your budget?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I've got a CE-3 and it's great for loads of tones
    Stop crying, start buying
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Don`t really have one, quite prepared to pay reasonable money pro rata but don`t know much about chorus pedals!
    Not into boutique prices though !
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited March 2015
    the EHX small clone is usually a good starting point. £40 second hand. 
    The Danoelectric milkshake can be nabbed for about £20 (I think its a milkshake)

I dare say Behringer and Joyo do something cheap and cheerful too. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1808
    I've got a Belcat analogue chorus that I don't need anymore.  Sounds very similar to the Ibanez CS-9 (which I replaced it with)

Could do for £10 posted.

Nice cheap way to give it a whirl and see what you think
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The metal body Danelectro is very nice, Cool Cat I think. It is 18v though. I prefer it to the EHX Clone personally.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    /\ That old metal Dano is VERY similar to the Boss CE-2. I always thought so anyway after I compared it to my friend's original CE-2.

I do like Boss (or Boss type) Choruses. Joyo's blue chorus is another very close relative of the CE2.

Super Chorus sounds great to me but for the flexibility and more of a 'lush' sound with a touch more swirl and depth the CE-5 is my fave.

Final shout out for the Marshall Regenerator which does all sorts of modulation effects none of which get way out and are all benchmark 'classic' tones.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Mxr micro chorus, 1 knob which sounds great all around the dial, warm and subtle to Leslie speaker
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    Boss CH1 is great for thickening tone and adding shimmer to distorted tones, it's a bit too subtle for clean IMO. The CE5 can get most of the way to the CH1 sound, but not quite, but has lots more available - including vibrato/leslie-ish sounds. I find the CE2 to be too subtle and doesn't work well the amount of drive/distortion I like to use. I personally find the EHX Small Clone to be a bit 'chorus-y'. I used to really like an old Ibanez CCL Dual Chorus I had, which I guess is similar to the CS9.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    Also, IMO when compared side by side the analog CH1 and CE5 sound slightly warmer and thicker than the current digital versions. However if you'd never played an analog version you'd probably be happy with the digital.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Mentioned this on here the other day, but Thomann are doing the EHX Polychorus (XO) for a bit over £100 at the moment.  Got mine at the weekend, and after a minor trimpot tweak to dial back the clock noise (5 minute job), I'm chuffed with it.  Does a pretty fantastic Electric-Mistress-style chorusy flange, too.  Maybe not the #1 choice for a warmer, woollier chorus, but there's a hell of a lot of classic tones you can coax out of it....particularly so if you're chasing alt/new-wave/post-punk sounds.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus or BC9 (essentially the same pedal in different boxes). Lush as you like! With two LFOs, it's very flexible indeed.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    JD50 said:
    Mxr micro chorus, 1 knob which sounds great all around the dial, warm and subtle to Leslie speaker

Seconded. Nice and simple to use, many, many great sounds.

For cheap (new) The Digitech Multichorus is also very good. Similar to the Boss unit soundswise, but half the price.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Lots of great info here ! Thanks all for your input.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    Hi I have a clone of the boss CE2 for sale, it uses all the right nos chips, sounds lovely and is in a smaller enclosure. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/34093/for-sale-last-of-the-clones-etc#latest £69 delivered
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus or BC9 (essentially the same pedal in different boxes). Lush as you like! With two LFOs, it's very flexible indeed.
    This, in buckets!

I've been through several different choruses in order to find a backup for my old BC9 and ended up getting the BCL. The one down-side is that it boosts the signal a little.
    All the others I have tried apart from the huge Electro Harmonix one lack the lushness of the BC9... although I guess this isn't much help as they are no longer made. They do come up on Ebay from time to time though but they aren't very cheap.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72666
    +1 on the MXR Micro Chorus if you want a simple, easy-to-use, great-sounding chorus. It only has one knob but there are useful sounds all the way round the range, no bad ones, and it just inherently sounds less cheesy and '80s' than most.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Liking the sound of the MXR tbh.Less knobs usually = better sounds to me !

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited March 2015
    Which song says classic chorus to you?

I grew up listening to The Stone Roses (Arion SCH-1), The Police (EHX Mistress), Nirvana (EHX Small Clone) and Hendrix (turned out to be a univibe) - but playing a CE-2 (my Dad's).

I strongly believe what we hear at an impressionable age determines the sounds we seek .. kinda born out by Analogman who's chorus is basically an improved Small Clone.

I've got all of those or copies now plus a Fulltone CF-1 I'm suspecting the amp you put it through is a disturbingly big factor too :(

If I had to keep just one it'd be the Fulltone but in my heart of hearts the EXH Small Clone covers all the bases :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?