Help me shred!

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17756
edited March 2015 in Technique tFB Trader
OK so my band are doing a cover of Hot Stuff in this style:

Let me be the first to say it's a load of old cheesy shite. 

The band have requested that they would like a tasteless Van Halen style solo. That would be fine if I had any skill at shreddy stuff, but I don't really. I can tap or sweep in a very limited way, but I don't really know how to incorporate it into a solo. 

Any examples of riffs or ideas I could incorporate? 
Would also be really useful if you could give concrete examples of riffs as I probably won't have time to go through vast numbers of courses/books etc.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2363
    We play this one and I picked the main motif at the start with my own blues lick after the initial high notes.

What I then tend to do is really mimic what the original does in terms of ascending/descending at any given point, but with my own ascending/descending licks. So that means that if someone was drawing the solo in terms of a meandering line that goes up and down, mine would resemble the original, but the notes would be different.

Do you sing solos in your head? I do, and that's what normally forms the basis of a lot of things I do. For example, if I listen to a song and sing a melody and then in the next few bars start imagining vague faster bits, that provides the light/shade/tension/release aspects.

Then its just a case of finding notes that I like the sound of, using licks that I either already know or push me ever so slightly, and lo, a solo is born.

I'm happy to help with some specifics if you need it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17756
    tFB Trader
    Interesting, have you got a recording of you doing it?
    No, but I can probably do one> When do you need it for?
    tFB Trader
    I've got to play it live at the end of the month so I'm not in any special hurry.
    Ooooo, I remember that I finish this one off with a lick from Satriani's 'Summer Song' at the end I think, (its in G right?)
    OK, given the imminent arrival I'll need some nudging but absolutely happy to help on this.
    tFB Trader
    Ooooo, I remember that I finish this one off with a lick from Satriani's 'Summer Song' at the end I think, (its in G right?)
    It is, but I'll be playing it in F#
    Still no problem. Not saying that you need to do the same, but its a nice lick with a slight stretch, but not too hard.

Loads of ideas for tapping and stuff in this one. I think I also do some string skipping arpeggios if memory serves me correctly - not at silly speed - so that makes it sound quite wicked too.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3496
    Play fast 2 note per string pentatonics - alternate picking, start on downstrokes ascending, start on upstrokes descending.
    Extend pentatonic shape w/ the tapping, i.e. pull-offs/hammer-ons in one position, then tap the notes of the following position. Try to form a pattern for this across 2 strings (8 notes total).

There's a lot of repetition and pattern playing in that solo. You can do it.
  • vizviz Frets: 10758
    That's a big solo for a big crowd! I like it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited March 2015
    @Monquixote, I've just started using Dunlop Jazz picks, as of Sunday, after a solid recommendation. They help me shred.   ;)
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I love those picks :-) I still can't shred :-(
    tFB Trader
    @Monquixote, I've just started using Dunlop Jazz picks, as of Sunday, after a solid recommendation. They help me shred.   ;)
    Yay!

They are super awesome aren't they. 

Still embarrassed I accidentally robbed one off you. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Yay!

They are super awesome aren't they. 

Still embarrassed I accidentally robbed one off you. 

Accidentally? :P

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16307
    There are various nonsensical but fast things you can do with Eminor pentatonics or G major ones using open strings, even just lolloping ( technical term) right hand taps off the open G. So, get them to put the key back!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I learned to shred almost over night by watching these two videos. 

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    If you can already tap then incorporating it into a solo is just about finding a cool way to finish the lick. As a shortcut to rock glory, this just means picking a tapping lick that ends on the b7 or b3. 

If it ends on the 7th, bend up to the root, tone wide vibrato.

If it ends on the 3rd, just tone wide vibrato.

End with pickslide and/or whammy dive.

Lick the guitar (extra points for getting artificial harmonics with your tongue).

Make devil horns.

Exit.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1273
    Doesn't really matter what you play so long as you ham it up enough. Worked for Jakko Jakszyk as 'Eduardo the mad Spanish guitarist' .....

from 1'30"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Vj9oMi7Rk

;)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    edited March 2015
    sounds like a forum challenge to me:

Get a recording without the solo, then we can all shred over the top re-post and you steal the bits you like...

Otherwise VH solo is easy. Bend up into Dive Bomb on a pinched harmonic - blues lick, tap trill (with whammy depressions if you can), dive bomb, blues lick into tap sequence, dive bomb to finish. Job done.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    sounds like a forum challenge to me:

Get a recording without the solo, then we can all shred over the top re-post and you steal the bits you like...

Otherwise VH solo is easy. Bend up into Dive Bomb on a pinched harmonic - blues lick, tap trill (with whammy depressions if you can), dive bomb, blues lick into tap sequence, dive bomb to finish. Job done.

You forgot a high-gain amp/pedal and a flanger, but I'll let you off........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)