I am now officially a BMW Driver

What's Hot
FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
After the sad demise of my Alfa <wipes tear/> I got a (new to me) BMW.
It has loads of "packages" on it. lighting, sport, even one called courtesy which apparently adds some sort of switch next to the steering wheel. I've tried it, and all it did was make a tick-tock noise and flash some green lights on the dashboard. I'm sure I'll work out what to do with it later.

Anyway, please post your hatred below.
Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I hated BMWs.  Really, really loathed them.  Until I bought one as a temporary car while mine was off the road for a while and pretty much ate all my words, as it was an incredibly nice thing to drive and cost me absolutely nothing other than basic maintenance while I had it. 

Quick tip - don't use the indicators, people get confused when they see them flashing on a BMW, have no idea what to do, and may crash into you.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bluenosebluenose Frets: 24
    Did it come with indicators ?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Audi is the new BMW so you should be ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Forge said:
    Audi is the new BMW so you should be ok.
    This is true .. wisdom awarded.

I've driven BMWs for years [and has abuse on here] - @FX_Munkee - what model did you get?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Welcome to the fold! The way they handle really can be sublime. (I've currently got a 1series and looking to change to a 3series in the next couple of months)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    What did you get? It makes a big difference whether you got an M235i or an X6...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    I never intended to get one, but have one now. Very nice

The most amusing button is the "Gentleman switch"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    bluenose said:

Did it come with indicators ?
    That's what the courtesy switch is for. Default is off, in case you forget to not use them after you've been driving another car.

It also turns on the side window transparency mode so you can see another car approaching when you're about to pull out in front of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
    What are these indicator things of which you speak?

It's a 325D M Sport, basically a 3 litre diesel prentending not to be :) Oh and it's Le Mans Metallic blue, which was surprisingly important to me.
    It handles like a fat MX-5 IMHO and is remarkably rattle free, everything feels damped to within an inch of it's existence (in a good way).
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    What are these indicator things of which you speak?

It's a 325D M Sport, basically a 3 litre diesel prentending not to be :) Oh and it's Le Mans Metallic blue, which was surprisingly important to me.
    It handles like a fat MX-5 IMHO and is remarkably rattle free, everything feels damped to within an inch of it's existence (in a good way).
    My previous BMW was a metallic blue 2.5 M Sport coupe .. great car. I had from new for 11 years. I currently have a new 3 series 2.0 D Business [whatever that means] which is just as fast as my old car. Too much kit on it though .. nice leather interior but no electric seats [to save weight].

Enjoy your car.

The only option it was missing was the electric leather seats, so I found some in a breakers and am currently fitting them, well, making looms up for the heating and power circuits. The rear seats are in.
    Quite enjoying how well it comes apart and goes back together as well. Very un-Alfa in that regard :)
    It needs a tweak the mapping IMHO it's quite lazy for a 3 litre, but I'll get to that later.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited March 2015
    Welcome to theFB BMW owners club ;)

Ignore all the indicator jokes.  The people making them are getting confused with Audis :P
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    TBH the indicator jokes don't bother me. After enduring all the Alfa jokes about arriving with most of the parts you set off with (which I can now admit may have some basis in reality) they're quite tame :) When you see an Alfa not indicating, you just think "ah bless, they must be broken".
    In fact my only issue is I am feeling a bit anonymous in it.  it's lovely to drive but they are somewhat common ;) Oviously this has the upside of being able find parts (see earlier about the interior swap). So it's swings and roundabouts I guess.
    siremoon said:
    Welcome to theFB BMW owners club ;)

Ignore all the indicator jokes.  The people making them are getting confused with Audis :P

I had a company A6 for the last 18 months, nice enough but I handed it back in Feb and bought a newer shape Beetle Turbo which is 1) immensely more entertaining to drive 2) perceived extremely well by all segments of the population.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    I loved my old BMW despite it really not being that great (E30 318i)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Don't worry we Audi drivers get all the abuse now ( as can be seem already). :-)
    Good to see Bmw have caught onto 4wd in cars with the x drive.

I am a big fan of 4wd and don't like the feel of 2wd now and that sent me to Audi. Actually fancy a jag if I could afford one, bit don't want a diesel

Enjoy you new motor
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited March 2015
    I own an Audi and a BMW...

I am known as Mr Cunt on my street
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I own an Audi and a BMW...

I am know as Mr Cunt on my street

Could be interpreted in different ways. Does it come from the blokes or their wives?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here's my current BMW .. every conceivable extra except electric seats ... I like being able to plug in a USB key to listen to music although computer system is something else .. online manual and diagnostics it connects to the internet to update.