help me spend my £95 on a pedal...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    EHX Cathedral?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    yeah...
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7197
    No, it's just the way my trousers fit
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Wouldn't mind a go on the Moog Boost but I hear they have reliability issues.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Drew_fx said:
    Buy my Source Audio Orbital Modulator. You've got enough distortion pedals!
    man...just listened to the Source audio demo of the reverb pedal...wow!!!

that thing is really lush and simple enough to use
    I have never used the Cathedral but I think @Heartfeltdawn and @Wazmeister have?

Im not really one for Reverbs to be honest (Despite owning an Eventide Space)

@GavHaus likes a reverb, he might be able to tell you whats hot.

Skreddy seems to be a popular choice too
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    If you haven't got a decent boost, the Xotic EP would smack your Marshall head nice and hard and push it into a fuller overdrive.
  • Genuinely think you'd like the boss df-2.

And you'd have 45 quid change... So you could get something else with that! But the df-2 can get some huge, doomy things going.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    I've got the Cathedral, it's good, does massive space reverb, and really nice subtle stuff. 
    However it does not do trails, which is in my main downfall with it. 
    Flerb is strangely useable. Feels sturdy, cheap second-hand. Big fan of the freeze functionality on it. Also a big box, so follows your theme.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    samzadgan said:
    juansolo said:
    You should buy a sabbra cadabra, then send it to me for a couple of days to, errm, have a look at...
    If only you could hear my laughter!!!

i can just see it now...then next big thing in the doom world...new pedal called cabbra sadabra...pure Laney Doom Tones!

we could make a killing!
    I'm borderline buying that pedal, and that's just not on ;) No one's traced it yet so I've been umming and ahhing at buying one just so I can build myself one... I know how weird that sounds... 
    juansolo said:
    samzadgan said:
    juansolo said:
    You should buy a sabbra cadabra, then send it to me for a couple of days to, errm, have a look at...
    If only you could hear my laughter!!!

i can just see it now...then next big thing in the doom world...new pedal called cabbra sadabra...pure Laney Doom Tones!

we could make a killing!
    I'm borderline buying that pedal, and that's just not on ;) No one's traced it yet so I've been umming and ahhing at buying one just so I can build myself one... I know how weird that sounds... 
    you are like Sylar from Heroes... but the pedal version :-P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22236
    I have never used the Cathedral but I think @Heartfeltdawn and @Wazmeister have?

I've had three Cathedrals (yes yes yes). On the whole, it's a huge disappointment. The more experimental reverbs are good but the real reverb basics did nothing for me. I really hoped it would go well with the SMMH (which I love like the son I will never have because I hate children). 

The best reverb sound I ever had was a short spring reverb going into a long spring. VanAmps Sole-Mate into a Laney spring reverb unit, one of those solid state units with four inputs on the front. It's like delays, short delay into a longer way can give you this really big wash of sound that has more body than, say, a long shimmery delay. Short reverb into longer reverb just works. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9591
    Van amps are simply amazing... THE bets is still the Big Sky :)
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited March 2015
    I have a cathedral and RE20 dig the cathedral a lot, mainly for the ability to tap in a long predelay which can sound huge in a miz without muddying up the original signal. Also the reverse reverb. The hall and plate algos arent great but the two springs are nice.

The RE20 is just great full stop. The only thing thats lacking is presets, considering its got so many nice sounds in it  Iwant to use it all the time without having to memorise settings.

• Great reverb for £100 or under?  The answer is Hardwire Supernatural.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22236
    Van amps are simply amazing... THE bets is still the Big Sky :)
    I really wish Van Amps would do a long spring rack unit.

I still think reverb in pedal form has a very long way to go. There's so many pedal options for delays and modulations yet pedal reverb really gone out there for me. Korg brought out the SDD-3000, they managed to convert some of their synths like the MS-20 into great plugins yet pedal reverb gets left behind. Imagine a pedal that had the sounds of the Alesis Quadraverb or Midiverb II for instance. It'd be shoegazing heaven, all the MBV fans would go for it. Something that is not trying to be clear and clean like the Big Sky, something that is characterful and will colour your sound. 

Maybe Cliff at Fractal will go nuts and start producing Shoegaze-FX racks :D