So today I tried...

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
...a Taylor GS Mini (Mahogany & Spruce),  Sigma 000M15, Seagal Coastline S6, Taylor 114 and a Freshman Open Plains.

I thought all were great, except the Freshman which was average, not bad just average.

Short summaries of my thoughts on their pro's and cons:

Taylor GS: Best sounding of them all, body a bit too small, neck felt awesome.

Sigma 000M15: Sounded good, LOVE the size and shape of the body, neck felt good but the fingerboard not as nice as the GS Mini.

Seagul: Really nice sounding and playing guitar, I was impressed but it just didn't excite me as much as the others and I just can't get on with that head stock.

Taylor 114: I preferred the shorter scale GS, the body felt a little on the large side for me, but it felt and sounded very nice.

Freshman: As stated above, it was alright, but to be fair I was spoilt with the other selections.

I haven't decided what i'm going to go for yet as I still can't get that Faith Mercury out of my head, it was so SO good. If only it joined at the 14th fret... BUT out of the guitars I tried today the one that has struck a chord with me the most (see what I did there) was the Sigma. An awesome guitar for the money.

I need to go back and try the Faith Mercury again and the Venus before I finally make a decision.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GruGru Frets: 339
    The Sigma, Faith and GS mini are all guitars that i have been considering as an alternative to my martin LXM for around the house.

When I purchased the LXM I played a naked mercury and really liked it, and it sounds fantastic!! However, at the time i needed something robust to take away with me. The LXM is incredibly strong and resilient to knocks/marks. Apart from some minor fret wear, it is still like new, and I happily leave it in the lounge where my kids often play.

For their price, the faiths are amazing. While I would love a 12 fret martin 00 or 000, a Mercury or the new Cort L500-O would be better on my wallet.

Interested to here what decision you make.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I've just bought a Eastman E20P parlour guitar which is really nice, might be another option for you to try.

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    If it wasn't for needing an acoustic that joins at the 14th fret, I'd have purchased the Faith Mercury 2 weeks ago. I was floored by it. I tried the Eclipse model with the scoop, but it still didn't really give me comfortable access up to the 14th & 15th frets. A friend of mine who's a professional musician went to our local guitar store looking for an acoustic expecting to walk out with a Martin. He went straight to the expensive end and walked out with a Faith. He'd never heard of them, but said it was by far the best sounding and playing acoustic in the store.
    @proggy they look beautiful, a bit out my price range though boo hoo.
    The guitar I'm now most eager to try is the Sigma S000M-15. It's the same model as the one I tried yesterday but solid top, back and sides, ebony finger board and bone saddle and nut. It matches the Faith Mercury for spec, if it sounds and plays as well I'll make the purchase. Just need to find one locally to try out.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    oh man...you sold me the marshall...and now your going acoustic...so when are you selling the Laney??? ;)

but to be honest, i think i will be buying an acoustic in the near future too...so be interested in what you end upi getting too...
    @samzadgan how is that beautiful beast of a Marshall? Theres a slim possibility that the Laney might be up for grabs as i'm planning to relocate. But it's not for certain.

The world of acoustics is completely alien to me, hence why i'm doing my homework. I've been asked to do an acoustic set at a wedding, including when the bride walks down the isle so I thought it's time I got clued up and got my hands on something decent.

I'll keep you up to date with what I get, but i'd highly recommend checking out Faith if your interested in getting an acoustic. 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    The Marshall is rediculous...such s nice amp!

I remember you said you were relocating...im relocating too...to Australia! If I wasn't, id probably be interested in that Laney...but I don't think you would have problems getting top money for it. There's a facebook group im part of who would salivate over that Laney, so if you wanted extra exposure for the sale, let me know.

As for acoustic, im in the same boat...new world for me. The faith sounds good on paper...but the Gretsch White falcon acoustics look great!
    edited March 2015
    The White Falcons do look nice but way too big for me. I always fancied a White Penguin electric, head stocks are nearly as big as the bodies. Slightly odd looking but so cool.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12049
    Love the GS Mini, I have the mahogany version, it's so sweet, easy to play and great projection of sounds. Close your eyes and it's easy to imagine the sound is coming from a normal size guitar.
    I did really like the GS Mini, it definitely had the best sound of all the guitars I tried that day, i'd be perfectly happy with either spruce or mahogany top, both had their own charms in equal measures. The neck was pretty nice too.

It was just that once I held the Sigma... the body size was perfect, scale bang on and the neck was awesome. The Rosewood fingerboard didn't feel half as nice as the Taylors Ebony and the sound wasn't up there with it either. Maybe I should just get the credit card out and buy a Martin 000, gulp!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    I've played my GS Mini for about two hours today. I completely 'forgot' about the guitar (the cheapest instrument I own by a significant margin) and just got on with making music.

They are great value and genuinely transcend the 'travel guitar' label.

I really rate them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds good Duppy. What sort of prices were the different guitars.
    The Sigma was the cheapest at £240, the rest were between then £400-£500 mark. Having done some more Internet digging the Recording King RP1 could tick all the boxes. Just wish I could some one that sells them. Has anyone here had experience playing the Recording King brand?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    @jimmyguitar bought a Recording King ROS16 the other day

Just do a search for Recording King in the forums search engine, there a quite a few references to the brand.  HTH  :)

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2475
    edited March 2015
    I am loving my Recording King. The shop had another one, an RO-16, at around the same price as mine (£145) if I recall correctly. DK guitars Godalming, look them up on Facebook as they have a pic of it up on their page, it's black. I played it and it was really nice.
    The search continues... Todays further exploration:

Martin 000X1AE - Alright, sounded okay, felt pretty budget. Not bad, just not all that inspiring.
    Taylor GS Mini Mahogany - Great sounding, lovely neck, great to play... but something just isn't grabbing me about this guitar.
    Yamaha LS6 - Nowt wrong with it, but too big a body for my liking so it went back on the hanger in seconds.

...and yes the Faith Mercury lured me back, i'll admit i'm not as enamoured with it as when I first tried it, doesn't sound nearly as big as the Taylor GS Mini, but there is just something about it... I just find it hard to put down. It must be the playing position, or maybe it's just X factor.

This time i'm refusing to buy anything that I haven't played first, there's been some great suggestions, but I want to do this the old fashioned way. Explore as many options as possible and see which one I bond with. 

Tomorrow i'll hopefully get to try out a Guild M120. Next on the list will be an Ibanez AC240 at my local guitar shop. I'm also keen to try out the Sigma 00015m again, that made quite an impression on me. I wish I could find one of their 0015 models somewhere.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 841
    I've got the Faith Mercury, managed to get it for a really good price on eBay after playing a few Faiths in PMT. I would not hesitate to recommend it at all, it's fantastic and a mahoooosive step up from my APX700. Only thing I'd do is get a pickup for it so I could do the odd open mic night.
  • xwoozorxwoozor Frets: 6
    edited March 2015
    I used to own a guild m120 pic below.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/woozor/SDC11403.jpg

It was a nice guitar that looked cool.  Narrow neck though.  Sound was woody but sounded thin and tinny the louder u play.  Seems like they gone up in price though swear when i got it it was around £440 with hardcase.  I may be wrong.  Ive played the faith mercury also which is a nice guitar with a kind of opposit vibe going on.  The faith mercury is a fuller sounding and way better playing guitar though compared to the guild.  12 fretters have that more intimate feel to them and the wider nuts usually.  Just feels more comfortable to me atleast :P

My main acoustic is the faith F000 signature model (12 fretter).  I can still stretch to the 15th fret if need be that would be sitting down playing though :P  for live use I would go for 14fret for home use for that intimate feel a 12fretter is a great choice to think of :)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/woozor/20130625_120709_zps0736afba.jpg
    http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/woozor/20130625_120743_zpsec2b22c6.jpg

I'd have bought the Faith Mercury a few weeks back when I started exploring acoustics, if it wasn't for the need to play up past the 12th fret.