Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Always off' effects

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
What are your worst ever?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    edited October 2013
    Any compressor. I actually quite like the sound of them when other people use them - including some of my favourite players - and I have occasionally used one successfully when recording, but live... I end up constantly fiddling with the damn thing, trying to get happy with it, until finally after great frustration I revert to my go-to setting.

OFF

Enhancers and acoustic simulators are up there too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    Octave and ring mod pedals. Love what other people do with them, they sound like shit when I use them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Yep, ring mods for sure. I have a Micro Pog I love though. 

Sorry to say I have never owned a Fuzz I liked either. Sorry, fuzz fans. I know I must just be wrong

• Noise gates! Haha after my noise issues were resolved recently by abandoning noise suppressors i have to say how useless I found them for anything other than cutting notes off. I presume musicians who play brutalz gain may have more use, but for me, always off
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Chorus. Any chorus.  :-S
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559
    +1 for noise gates, but also distortion pedals, ( shock horror) I've got a growing collection but I just can't get on with em

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Flangers. All I can do with them is "Silver Machine".
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    Noise gates! Haha after my noise issues were resolved recently by abandoning noise suppressors i have to say how useless I found them for anything other than cutting notes off. I presume musicians who play brutalz gain may have more use, but for me, always off
    Yes, I hate noise gates too.

Heresy alert :)... I've never got on with clean boosts either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Flanger.

There's no good use of it, ever.

Just stop it.

Yes, you.
    <space for hire>
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    ICBM said:
    Any compressor.
    The difficulty I have with compressors is that they compress the dynamic range to a set point. Sounds obvious I know! But if you're playing quietly and turn it on you get too loud, if you're playing loudly and turn it on you get a volume drop and it sounds weak. So in a typical gig I find I can only have it set to sound good for certain passages, but not others because you can't get the "compressor sound" without tweaking the volume to sit right at that part of the mix.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Flangers are great in the right situation.

Compressor for me, no need with a heavily driven valve amp.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Volume pedals. Although I suppose if you had it always off that would make no sound... If I want silence I'll turn the tuner on, if I want to change volume I'll do it on the guitar. Also to add insult to injury, they are usually pretty big.
  • digitalscream;52652" said:
    Flanger.

Just stop it.

Yes, you.
    Who? Me?

In fairness I would have said the same until I got my old Ibanez FL9. That thing is really sweet sounding.

I've never got on with compressors but that's more to do with my playing than anything bad with compressors*.

Noise suppressors aren't much use to me. Surely it's better to sort out whatever is causing the noise rather than slapping an audio sticky plaster over it?

* apart from the rocktek compressor. Worst. Pedal. Evarrrr!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    i hated compressors too till i read Johnny Marr saying he always had his Diamond on, set fairly low (like 8 or 9 o'clock). Said it was indispensable. I snorted with derision. Then I bought one, did the same thing and, bugger me, I can't turn it off either. Wonderful clean-tone enhancer which also makes every dirt pedal I have sound better.

as for noise gates, they are almost always crap IMHO. But then I found the ISP G-string decimator and that was that.

Surely it's better to sort out whatever is causing the noise rather than slapping an audio sticky plaster over it?
    In my case, 'sorting out the noise' would be using less gain, i.e. playing a different kind of music, which isn't an option!
    Flanger.

Just stop it.

Yes, you.

Wash your mouth out! I've got two on my board! :D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17698
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Any compressor. I actually quite like the sound of them when other people use them - including some of my favourite players - and I have occasionally used one successfully when recording, but live... I end up constantly fiddling with the damn thing, trying to get happy with it, until finally after great frustration I revert to my go-to setting.

OFF
    Have you tried one with a clean blend? 
    I feel that way about most comps, but things like the Tone Press and SP Comp with blend 50/50 make your sound really fat and sustaining without robbing you of dynamics. 
  • Chorus. What an utterly detestable sound. Everything I hate about 80's guitar can be found in these vile little blue bastards.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    RocknRollDave;52911" said:
    Chorus. What an utterly detestable sound. Everything I hate about 80's guitar can be found in these vile little blue bastards.
    although it does mean if you do any 80's covers it is instant musical shoulder pads.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Chorus. What an utterly detestable sound. Everything I hate about 80's guitar can be found in these vile little blue bastards.

NNNOOO!!!!! chorus is great, unless it's overused, much like anything

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom