Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Always off' effects

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @mike_l - what good uses of chorus should I be listening out for, then? I shall approach with fresh ears :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    edited October 2013
    @mike_l - what good uses of chorus should I be listening out for, then? I shall approach with fresh ears :)
    OK. How about a TC SCF set low the way Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa have it. So you barely know it's on

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @mike_l - what good uses of chorus should I be listening out for, then? I shall approach with fresh ears :)

Er,er,er....;)

Try some Maiden, the Somewhere in time and Seventh son albums. It's subtle. Also Children of the Damned (number of the beast).

Although I agree too much chorus isn't good at all.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    Lots of Billy Gibbons for chorus. Sometimes sickening amounts, sometimes bit more subtle. By and large he sounded better without it but for those who want Legs as their wedding song..
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Chorus. What an utterly detestable sound. Everything I hate about 80's guitar can be found in these vile little blue bastards.
    This is why the MXR Micro Chorus is the best chorus ever.

It's yellow :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    Flanger.

There's no good use of it, ever.

Just stop it.

Yes, you.

Agreed, unless it's an electric mistress.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    I've tried loads of fuzzes- they just don't suit my playing style.
    Pity, as I love them when used properly (or improperly).
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Agree on Fuzz.

Although I kinda like the fuzzes on the Zoom G3.

And for the Flanger, MXR Micro flanger, great on every setting, but should be used sparingly. Like Chorus.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2013
    I adore my fuzz, maybe I'm just that kind of player (i.e. a noisy bastard). It's a REALLY good fuzz though.

My compressor is on most of the time when I'm playing clean, because it just beefs up the sound a little. Doesn't always work with gain though (particularly lower gain - my overdrives don't always seem to like it). I usually like to have my Carbon Copy on for some echoes - albeit with the mix about 1/3 of the way up, so it's fairly subtle.

Nothing is "always" off, because if it was I'd probably get rid of it, but the least-used effect on the board is my phaser. I keep it there though, sometimes I just need it. I like my chorus too. It's a Micro Chorus, so it's not blue and is therefore exempt from Dave's rant.

The Whammy doesn't see as much use as it should, but like the phaser sometimes it's just indispensable. I want a Way Huge Ringworm at some point... then I can have the full evil trinity of mad effects - pitch shifting, ring modulation and fuzz. Preferably all at once. :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    Mr Bellanga on here has a rather fine Scarab Deluxe for sale under the fx threads which is as close to a good fuzz as I've ever heard.  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Bucket said:
    ... then I can have the full evil trinity of mad effects - pitch shifting, ring modulation and fuzz. Preferably all at once. :D
    I get quite close to that with Fuzz Factory, Boss Distortion-Feedbacker (if you hold the drone note then play other stuff over the top it can get quite ring-modulator-y) and Octaver. Especially as the Octaver doesn't like to track the drone and the real stuff at the same time so it throws its own dose of chaos into the procedings :D.

And then for good measure run it through a huge Muff-esque fuzz-distortion.

This kills amps sometimes by the way :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    Wah's for me. I like what others do with it, but my playing decends into auto-pilot-wank-city.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:
    I get quite close to that with Fuzz Factory, Boss Distortion-Feedbacker (if you hold the drone note then play other stuff over the top it can get quite ring-modulator-y) and Octaver. Especially as the Octaver doesn't like to track the drone and the real stuff at the same time so it throws its own dose of chaos into the procedings :D.

And then for good measure run it through a huge Muff-esque fuzz-distortion.

This kills amps sometimes by the way :).
    Once, in a funny five minutes when re-amping some tracks with my band, myself and the other guitarist plugged all our pedals (plus a couple we'd borrowed) into the same signal chain and turned them all on. That was my metal distortion, overdrive, fuzz, compressor, phaser, chorus, tremolo, delay, plus a Big Muff, an overdrive, a RAT and another overdrive.

We didn't need to play anything, the hum alone sounded like a plane taking off. :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Pitch effects on guitar. Basically any of them.

Like it when other people use it. Whenever I use it, I feel like spandex.