Soooo...who's bought a 2015 Les Paul then?

What's Hot

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    lamf68 said:

I simply can't deal with the decal on the headstock, if I owned one I'd have to take it off and replace it with a traditional one. Fucking Repulsive.

A quick scan on the 'bay, and you can find some examples of his signature that are a million times better than the one they chose.  This is a decent one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LES-PAUL-PETER-FRAMPTON-signed-8-5-x11-photograph-PSA-DNA-AUTHENTICATED-RARE-/111197112357?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e3dd4825
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I'm guessing That poor old Lester had problems with arthritis in his hands in later life, certainly those films of him an the Iridium club suggest that. In which case the thick signature is probably a true reflection of the man in the most recent of times.
    Gibson have always wanted to move forward, it's just that mostly their customers didn't, at least not at the same pace.
    I'm not an apologist for the brand, they have made some shyte in their time and the stories of the corporate human resources fiascos are legend. My own 335 had some issues (orange peel, scratch marks on the fingerboard, poorly finished f holes) but when it comes down to it it plays great and sounds wonderful in a way that other guitars just don't.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    Rox said:
    lamf68 said:

I simply can't deal with the decal on the headstock, if I owned one I'd have to take it off and replace it with a traditional one. Fucking Repulsive.

A quick scan on the 'bay, and you can find some examples of his signature that are a million times better than the one they chose.  This is a decent one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LES-PAUL-PETER-FRAMPTON-signed-8-5-x11-photograph-PSA-DNA-AUTHENTICATED-RARE-/111197112357?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e3dd4825
    ...except that looks like it was knocked out in the hundreds by someone in the design department somewhere and mechanically copied onto the print....

so probably not very realistic....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The Sig I believe is his final one, not just a random one from some point in his life, it's dodgy because the guy was not far off 100 years old when he wrote it (and could still play me off the stage no doubt)
    rlw said:
    Rox said:
    lamf68 said:

...except that looks like it was knocked out in the hundreds by someone in the design department somewhere and mechanically copied onto the print....

Do a quick Google of his autographs and you'll see plenty of clearly hand-signed ones that look just like it.
    Rox;551595" said:
    rlw said:

Rox said:

lamf68 said:

Do a quick Google of his autographs and you'll see plenty of clearly hand-signed ones that look just like it.
    but the significance in this Sig is when it was produced not just that he wrote it.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
    I heard that the signature was taken off a LP scratch plate he signed and was one of the latest examples of his signature. It is awful though and I can't quite imagine the meeting where the decision was taken to use it. Beggars belief.

That said, I think it's a fairly easy mod to remove it and replace it with a normal LP signature so probably not a reason to avoid buying the guitar.

Looking into it has led me to read all of the 2015 changes on the LP range and there are quite a few improvements that people don't seem to mention much but are actually pretty positive, like the thicker fingerboard, pearl inlays, titanium saddles & general improvements around fit/finish/quality which sound good. Plus if you do like the min-Etune system, then the 2015 version is supposed to be a lot better. My few weeks with the 2014 Min-Etune system made me a bit wary of it...it was unreliable and when it did work I was never quite convinced it was properly in tune.

So, I guess if you like the 2015 neck and the prices do come down then they are probably good guitars...
    underdog said:
    Rox;551595" said:

but the significance in this Sig is when it was produced not just that he wrote it.
    And the significance of it is lost because the design really doesn't suit.  What should really be a lovely tribute just doesn't work as a headstock decal.

This is where they should have weighed up the difference between sentiment, and what looks right.  There were many ways a Les Paul 100 logo could have been applied as a tribute to the man.

Use the signature like that on the hanging tags and case candy, but something more appropriate for the headstock of the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Rox said:
    And the significance of it is lost because the design really doesn't suit.  What should really be a lovely tribute just doesn't work as a headstock decal.

This is where they should have weighed up the difference between sentiment, and what looks right.  There were many ways a Les Paul 100 logo could have been applied as a tribute to the man.

Use the signature like that on the hanging tags and case candy, but something more appropriate for the headstock of the guitar.
    Exactly. I think the pickguard would have been the best - since that's what he actually did tend to sign, and it can be easily removed if you don't like it, or replaced with a plain one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Embroidered into the lining of the case would be the best place for it....
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    richardhomer;551645" said:
    On a sticker in the case would be the best place for it....
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    ICBM said:
    Rox said:

Exactly. I think the pickguard would have been the best - since that's what he actually did tend to sign, and it can be easily removed if you don't like it, or replaced with a plain one.

The pickguard would be the best place, especially with its detachable feature this year. Might even become "collectible" since no doubt some people will lose theirs and want to buy a replacement and the only way to get one is to get a new guitar...
    I agree the Sig is Shit, was just pointing out why it wasn't as neat as ones on eBay/google.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
    So far it looks like buying a 2015 LP is just something that happens to other people. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    It's more because you have to overlook so many things, it's not just a logo, or just the neck, it's about half a dozen things all at the same time.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Embroidered into the lining of the case would be the best place for it....

In the pickup cavity would be wiser ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    RaymondLin;551883" said:
    It's more because you have to overlook so many things, it's not just a logo, or just the neck, it's about half a dozen things all at the same time.
    I can honestly say none of the other new features bother me, in fact some, like tuners, wider neck and lack of pickguard holes would encourage me to buy one.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    underdog said:
    RaymondLin;551883" said:
    I can honestly say none of the other new features bother me, in fact some, like tuners, wider neck and lack of pickguard holes would encourage me to buy one.

This. I could do without the logo though.
  • I will certainly get one end of year when they get discounted.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    Because you are all like a bunch of old women over the logo, I am going to try a few experiments with mine to see if I can mute it a little - nothing permanent or destructive - and demonstrate a way of getting past a tiny, irrelevant thing and getting into a good guitar.

Starting with a  some shiny black Pantone film cut to the exact shape...................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.