Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

To those moaning about concert prices...

What's Hot

Comments

• thorpy6 said:
    £100 is a lot to pay, but of you are an uber fan I can see the need to pay it.

Unfortunately though as mentioned earlier ticket pricing is not indicative or selective of uber-fans or fans full stop.  Technically it isn't even £100 as people know full well that it's incredibly rare that anyone goes to a concert on their own so you're talking a reality of £200 minimum and £400-£500 for a family or group of friends.  In the current climate there very few couples I know around here who can justify a £250 night out and that no reflection on how big a fan they are or how much it might mean to them.  Mind you, go a mile up to Parkside in Wimbledon village and there's no shortage of vacant and cushioned rich kids who have heard Ed Sheeran mention Pink Floyd once before so are "Totally there!".

In comparison to £170 weekend festival it just seems even more ridiculous.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    people know full well that it's incredibly rare that anyone goes to a concert on their own
    :(
    My V key is broken
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Its all corporate bollocks now isn't it, gigs sponsored by Barclaycard and shit like that, rich kids with home counties accents twiddling about with their twee faux folk, Ellie Goulding and Ed fucking Sheeran bland shite, or the latest bunch of skinny jean wearing pricks with Telecasters and nice hair pimping their carbon copy generic music out to adverts on the TV, How fucking rock n roll.

Somebody please kill me now. Don't get me started on the sea of fucking iphones held aloft filming gigs either, cunts spending half the gig looking at a tiny screen

Other than that I'm all for it though.
    Well if people actually went out of their shitty little Eastenders house-prisons, and just even went to the local free music venue/pub and paid a nights attention to a bunch of DIYers... maybe we wouldn't be in the shite state of affairs we are.

Music industry sucking? I put most of the blame on the audience and their apathy.

"it's too loud"
    Grow a pair of bollocks.

"it's too expensive"
    Go one less pint or McDonald's this week.

"the bands are crap"
    Tell promoters what kind of bands you WANT to see.

"I don't have the time"
    Make the time or quit your fucking bitching.

"I don't like live music"

Yeah, well live music don't like you either!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    thorpy6 said:
    £100 is a lot to pay, but of you are an uber fan I can see the need to pay it. I'm so grateful for this years download lineup- £170 gets me a ticket to see Slipknot, muse and KISS as well as Mötley Crüe, slash, etc etc including camping!
    For gods sake at least get a part refund
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7519
    Well we're playing for free on the 27th so were infinitely better value than acdc or gilmour
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    tFB Trader
    thorpy6 said:
    £100 is a lot to pay, but of you are an uber fan I can see the need to pay it. I'm so grateful for this years download lineup- £170 gets me a ticket to see Slipknot, muse and KISS as well as Mötley Crüe, slash, etc etc including camping!
    For gods sake at least get a part refund

lol, I actually like both ( in their heyday)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Wow, Download actually looks good. £225 ish for 5 days? 
    IS it good?
    I've never been to a festival in my life!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    holnrew said:
    people know full well that it's incredibly rare that anyone goes to a concert on their own
    :(
    Me too.  :-S
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7519
    IS it good?

As long as it doesn't rain yeah it's great. Tends to be the same bands over and over though. Slip knot were great last time I saw them there.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    tFB Trader
    IS it good?

As long as it doesn't rain yeah it's great. Tends to be the same bands over and over though. Slip knot were great last time I saw them there.

I last went in 2012 and it was epic. I'm really looking forward to this year and yeah weather dependant, it's epic!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    It's not really a tour is it?
    5 dates in London, and 5 dates around Europe
    I can't believe that 5 dates in the Albert Hall would make a loss at £100 a ticket. How?? If so, surely no concert could ever be viable there. 5544 x £100 = £550k. How can that be a loss-making concert?
    Even if some crazy and unnecessary light show is laid on, and setting up kit costs so much, it should have been 10 days in the RAH, and European fans can come to London

I'd pay £100 for a seat in the first few rows, but even then tbh travelling to and staying London rules it out, I'd be down £350 plus lost wages.
    I'm guessing that the RAH was chosen to use the organ or something, there must be better venues in London? Royal Festival Hall?

On the discussions about arena/stadium gigs:
    I've never been to any stadium gig that was genuinely engaging in the way a gig at a normal venue is, and that includes Pink Floyd at Maine road. Frankly, the DVDs are far more pleasant to watch
    I'd rather watch the Jeff Beck bluray from Ronnie Scott's than be at any of the arena gigs I've been to

It's clear that artists charge £100+ a ticket if and because they can
    It's not because of lack of income from CD sales though, it's because they can get away with charging it

I try to go to very small gigs now, including house concerts, and buy CDs from the merch table to get money to the artists
    I'll go to normal size large venues (e.g. Manchester Apollo, Bridgewater hall, Lowry), but the arena concerts are always a disappointment to me - so when people charge £100 for Arena tickets I am really unimpressed

As soon as I see "sold out", but you can buy at 200% extra from some agency, I'm completely disinterested, there are plenty more good musicians to see in the world. The house concerts I go to are £10 each, 40 in the room, and are excellent, with free cups of tea, or a contribution for cheap wine. How civilised.

If DG did a month at the RAH, and charged £50, I'd make my way down to see it, but mid week, £100, limited supply? Not bothered, sorry
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Is this the thread where I can complain about concert ticket prices?
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Interesting reading. Putting aside the mega stars (who own the production company and do deals with the likes of ticket master). I understand that most artists will lose money on live performances.
    This is coming from a highly respected accountant who represents a lot of "medium range" artists. We have been advised that we will need to form separate tour companies as they will run at a loss...
    Merch is covered in 360 deals. They big money is in synch nowadays.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    We have been advised that we will need to form separate tour companies as they will run at a loss...

Not entirely sure I see this logic - surely you'd want to include that in the main company, to offset against tax...?
    <space for hire>
  • thomasross20;549406" said:
    Wow, Download actually looks good. £225 ish for 5 days? IS it good?

It's amazing!

I'm going to the Cambridge folk festival instead thus year, but have been to four download.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Interesting reading. Putting aside the mega stars (who own the production company and do deals with the likes of ticket master). I understand that most artists will lose money on live performances.
    This is coming from a highly respected accountant who represents a lot of "medium range" artists. We have been advised that we will need to form separate tour companies as they will run at a loss...
    Merch is covered in 360 deals. They big money is in synch nowadays.
    But I thought common wisdom was "live performance is where the money is, so give your music away for free... don't complain about piracy, don't complain about quality of music, don't complain about the royalty rates, don't complain about spotify, Youtube, or iTunes" ... and now you're telling me that live performance doesn't even pay?!?!

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Big stadium gigs, completely un-fan friendly... Nah, not for me... I refuse to do it.

It would need to be The Jam supported by the Beatles for me to entertain some of those big venues. And yes, I did get that in the right order.

• Well funny enough after having found out that gigging was costing Gilmour money and he couldn't make a living off records because of thieving bastards it kept me awake last night.  This morning with the concern being too much to bare I grabbed a flask of tea and I took a drive around Kingston just to check he wasn't sleeping in any doorways or under the bridge.  My heart was lifted by this slight, when I spotted him subsidising his costly dabble in the music industry with a secure day job.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/Gilmour%20Road%20Sweeper_zpsxy5vzene.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Yeh, I know... Didn't the mighty Pink Floyd get sponsored by VW in the mid 90s ???
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Yeh, I know... Didn't the mighty Pink Floyd get sponsored by VW in the mid 90s ???
    Guy Pratt wrote about this in his book- needless to say it was totally Nick Mason driven, the rest of the band were amused and David just shrugged. Nick spent the entire pre-tour liaising with VW .....

My favourite line in that book was when Guy was talking about old Floyd v new Floyd and compared Rog's Dystopian visions with David's more plutocratic lyrics in 'Learning to Fly'

"Ahhhh yes....we went from post apocolyptic politics to the eternal humanist struggle that is tax-offsetting..."

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.